PDA

View Full Version : Chair Prototype

Jim Koepke
09-13-2010, 2:28 AM
Many years ago I found a book from 1937, written by a high school shop teacher, in the library. It came up in a search I did in the card catalog for lawn chairs. It had drawings of all kinds of neat things one of which was an adirondack chair. Copies were made of many of the drawings and are now packed away somewhere. A few of the chairs were made. Many with modifications of my own, notes were taken and like I said packed away.

Well, it has been a few years since I have made a full sized chair and I decided it was easier just to start from scratch and make a prototype chair to use to get dimensions for a better fitting chair. This one is kind of big for me and even bigger for my wife, but some of the ideas that were learned will be helpful later. The wood is fir. It happens to be a cheap wood that accumulates in my shop.

I think there are 39 screws and 26 dowels holding this together. It may be a while before I build another, but I will try to document that and post information sufficient for any one who would like to build their own. This one is not actually an adirondack style per se. The purpose of this one is more to use in determining the interaction of the dimensions. When my wife sits in it, her feet are off the floor. I can sit all the way back and still have my feet touch the ground, but it is about an inch too deep.