PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell 28-200 Bandsaw: Loose top wheel bearings

Randy Bonella
09-13-2010, 12:49 AM
Hi All,

First of all I spend most of my time down in the neanderthals section, but I do use some power tools and a bandsaw was high on my priority need list for power tools.

Well I finally did it. Purchased a vintage 1965 Rockwell 28-200 bandsaw from a semi retiring 90 year old wood turner here in Portland. Lots of history on the saw and in near pristine shape except for one little problem that I found when dismantling the saw to clean up and see what all needed to be fixed.

Found that the top wheel had loose bearings and then on further inspection found that they had tried to be fixed once in their lifetime.

I'm thinking that this problem can be fixed with using a sleeve or bushing of some type even if I need to bore out the bearing seats just a bit.

Any help on how to fix this problem if it can be fixed would be greatly appreciated. I know I can buy a replacement wheel but would like to try something not in the $100 cost range first.

Bottom wheel is in great condition and pretty much everything else is looking to be in amazing shape.

Thanks,
Randy...

Keith Westfall
09-13-2010, 1:04 AM
How loose are the bearing in the wheel?

If not "really" loose, you may get by with some lock-tight to hold them in place.

Dan Hintz
09-13-2010, 6:29 AM
If it were me, I'd want to bore it out and put in a sleeve to bring the bore back to the original diameter... if the machine means a lot to you.

Tom Rick
09-13-2010, 6:42 AM
Perhaps a good buy on a used wheel is the way to go?:

http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=81037&p=561625&hilit=wheel#p561625

Randy Bonella
09-13-2010, 9:14 PM
All, Thanks for the responses. I think I'll try the lock-tite route first then if that won't work I'll try a sleeve then if that won't work then it'll be a used new wheel. I'd like to keep it to the original type equipment if possible.

The bearing on one side is pretty snug and I'm sure some lock-tite will do the trick. The bearing on the other side goes in slightly snug but then gets pretty loose but may be enough to get the lock-tite to bond properly.

I'll post the results as I try them.

Randy...

Chip Lindley
09-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Randy, sounds like the bearing seats are only worn to a slip fit. Shimming is probably not necessary, nor doable. Loctite should do the trick, with one of the "gap-filling" compounds like "410". Install new bearings now and the top wheel should be good for as long as you own this BS.

Randy Bonella
09-13-2010, 11:23 PM
Randy, sounds like the bearing seats are only worn to a slip fit. Shimming is probably not necessary, nor doable. Loctite should do the trick, with one of the "gap-filling" compounds like "410". Install new bearings now and the top wheel should be good for as long as you own this BS.

Thanks! Will try it and see. Certainly cheaper than purchasing a different wheel.

Randy...

Myk Rian
09-14-2010, 7:34 AM
I can't see Locktite fixing it. There will be a lot of pressure on the bearings when the blade is tensioned. Locktite isn't made for that.
If a machine shop can't shim it, find another wheel.