PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite turnings

Kathy Marshall
09-12-2010, 11:02 PM
The 1st piece started out as a scrap, not big enough for a bowl so I just turned a tenon on it, gave the bottom some shape and then turned the face with a depression (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/#). It's about 5" x 4" x 1". Has some nice color on the bottom, nice red streaks.
Kind of an odd ball piece.

The 2nd piece is an end grain lidded box. It's 2 3/4" tall by 3" wide, all heartwood. Finished with sanding sealer and paste wax (only 1 coat so far).
I'm thinking about adding a finial, any suggestions on size/shape?

All comments welcome. Thanks!

Leo Van Der Loo
09-12-2010, 11:14 PM
The 1st piece started out as a scrap, not big enough for a bowl so I just turned a tenon on it, gave the bottom some shape and then turned the face with a depression (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/#). It's about 5" x 4" x 1". Has some nice color on the bottom, nice red streaks.
Kind of an odd ball piece.

The 2nd piece is an end grain lidded box. It's 2 3/4" tall by 3" wide, all heartwood. Finished with sanding sealer and paste wax (only 1 coat so far).
I'm thinking about adding a finial, any suggestions on size/shape?

All comments welcome. Thanks!

Nice work Kathy, but bigger pictures would help us to see it better, I took the liberty to increase the size of the first picture to show what I mean :)

Kathy Marshall
09-12-2010, 11:38 PM
Thanks Leo, I replaced the images with bigger ones.

Dennis Puskar
09-13-2010, 12:17 AM
Both look very nice but I favor the lidded box it reminds me of a acorn.
Keep up the good work.

Dennis

Steve Schlumpf
09-13-2010, 12:35 AM
Nice work Kathy! I like your lidded box as is. Just my opinion, but I do not think a finial would add anything to the form. Maybe something to consider on your next one.

Dennis Ford
09-13-2010, 6:22 AM
Good work, the lidded box is my favorite it has a very nice shape.

John Keeton
09-13-2010, 7:05 AM
Kathy, some very nice pieces - particularly the lidded box. Nice color, too.

Generally, I think pieces that have an upward 'movement' to them make better candidates for a finial. With the rather flat surface on the top of you lid, I don't think a finial would do much for it.

Should you want to do another one for a finial, I would suggest making the lid so that it has a bit of a rise to it. Dennis mentioned that the piece reminded him of an acorn. Were you to make the lid shaped more like the lid of an acorn, then I think it would accept a finial somewhat better. The finial would need to be pretty small to work.

Greg Just
09-13-2010, 7:06 AM
I like the lidded box just the way it is - nice job.

Rick Robbins
09-13-2010, 11:18 AM
i need to go up to seattle and take classes at the woodcraft store and join the olympia turners as. very nice work there. seeing all these nice work of art's getting the Fever. nicely done. Rick:)

Paul Douglass
09-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Those are nice pieces. Finials are beautiful, no doubt, but not every piece needs one. I'd vote for leaving the box as is.

That first piece of wood sure has some pretty color. I'm a big fan of mesquite.