PDA

View Full Version : had a visitor + table pics

Steve Jenkins
12-15-2004, 5:15 PM
Jim Becker stopped by for a few minutes on his way to the airport this afternoon.Couldn't stay long but he had his photophone unholstered and took a few pics. As he said, he had to satisfy the pic police.
Thanks for the visit Jim.

John Miliunas
12-15-2004, 10:43 PM
Hey Steve, a short visit is better than no visit, right?! :) Guess we'll have to wait for Jim's pictures. :mad: (Aren't you aware of the RULE where the host has to provide AT LEAST one pic of his guest(s)?!) :) :cool:

Steve Jenkins
12-16-2004, 7:54 AM
Sorry John those addendums to modifications to the subtext in the rule review handbook get me every time. I'll try to do better. :>)
this is the table I was working on when he stopped by. It is 54" idameter dining table . Walnut

Mark J Bachler
12-16-2004, 8:24 AM
That's the one bad thing about living out in the sticks, if somebody comes to my shop they either need something built or are lost. Nobody stops by just to BS. Maybe I can bribe Tyler to do a road trip after New Years. I'm bound to have leftover fruitcake.

By the way awesome table.

Tyler Howell
12-16-2004, 8:40 AM
Fruit cake???????

I'm there!:D
Great table Steve.

Paul B. Cresti
12-16-2004, 8:45 AM
Sorry John those addendums to modifications to the subtext in the rule review handbook get me every time. I'll try to do better. :>)
this is the table I was working on when he stopped by. It is 54" idameter dining table . Walnut
Steve,
beautiful work! some questions for you. What type of core did you use and glue? and did you use a vacuum press?

Kelly C. Hanna
12-16-2004, 9:01 AM
Wow, wish I had known, I was at Austin's yesterday for a bit.....that table is gorgeous!!

Kevin Swindle
12-16-2004, 9:42 AM
Steve, That table is beautiful. I like the exposed splines in the edge. Very subtle but adds a lot of interest.

Zahid Naqvi
12-16-2004, 10:09 AM
That's a great looking table Steve, I specially like the jointing in the legs.

Darren Ford
12-16-2004, 11:21 AM
Steve, that is an awesome table. You guys continue to amaze me.

Mike Scoggins
12-16-2004, 11:35 AM
Steve,

Beautiful table! I really like the sunburst effect you created with the grain pattern. In addition to the other questions that were asked about construction details, could you elaborate on the curved edging?

Mike

Jim Fancher
12-16-2004, 11:39 AM
That table is absolutely amazing! The more you look, the more details you see.

Alan Turner
12-16-2004, 12:11 PM
Great table steve. NIce selection of veneer for the sunburst.
If you could expalin the joinery on the base I waould appreciate it.
Aaln

Michael Stafford
12-16-2004, 12:19 PM
Holey moley! That is one fine piece of work! Absolutely gorgeous! :D

I need a bit more practice before I achieve that level of craftsmanship! :)

Thanks for inspiring! :)

Steve Jenkins
12-16-2004, 12:21 PM
The top is of course walnut veneer and the edgeband is solid walnut 3/4x1-3/4.
There are 12 sections to the edgeband and I splined them together in pairs before cutting the curve on my shaper with a template. that way I only had 6 pieces to attach to the top. I used biscuits to attach the eb to the top.
The legs I used floating tenons that were about 5/16 thick in the leg joint and also in the center where the three pieces come together. There are two of the tenons in each joint about 3/8 from the faces and the center joint also two that are about 3/8 from the top and bottom. the center ones are small triangles

Chris Padilla
12-16-2004, 12:34 PM
Beautiful job, Steve! Pretty nice straight grain on the legs...as it should be! :)

Jim Hinze
12-16-2004, 12:40 PM
Beautiful... absolutely beautiful.

Did you use a vacuum press for the vaneer???

Mark Singer
12-16-2004, 3:12 PM
Steve,
Beautiful work and great design!!!

Dave Brandt
12-16-2004, 3:30 PM
Absolutely stunning.

Jim Becker
12-16-2004, 3:38 PM
Yea, a quick visit, but it was important to not miss my fight since I hadn't seen Dr. SWMBO in a week (she was in India for a conference) and it was already a very long day with a somewhat challenging presentation. (a disruptive participant on the customer side of the table...kinda like a three-year old) Needless to say, the Merlot on the plane was a very tasty end to a stressful day...

The couple of pics I took pretty much mirror the ones that Steve presented but are of poorer quality. I will post them when I get them off my phone, but you already have seen what I saw...and it's awesome! Beautiful wood, great design super workmanship, etc. Really.

Jason Tuinstra
12-16-2004, 3:59 PM
Steve, "wow" seems to be the word for this one. Jim's a fortunate guy to be able to stop by and see you and this beauty. Nice job. Thanks for sharing it with us. It looks flawless!

John Shuk
12-16-2004, 8:57 PM
Steve awesome work on the table. Jim really gets around I look forward to meeting him this weekend. Hopefully I'll get to run into some other folks at the Show in Edison NJ sunday.

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-17-2004, 1:12 AM
That's impressive. You started the matching chairs yet? :-)

KC

Herb Blair
12-17-2004, 6:05 AM
Beautiful work as always Steve.
Next time you are in town Jim, let us know you are coming and we'll treat you to some real BBQ.

Dan Gill
12-17-2004, 8:45 AM
Great design and great execution, Steve. I'm also glad Jim got to stop by. Too bad he couldn't make the barbecue and wood haul. Maybe next time.