PDA

View Full Version : Finding a good used car; Part two

David Freed
09-12-2010, 9:52 PM
Last February I was ranting about trying to buy a car (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=134062&highlight=bonneville). I finally "settled" on a 98 Bonneville because I was so frustrated with trying to find a decent car. I have been aggravated with myself ever since I bought that car. I just didn't like it. In my last search I was trying to find a car that was newer than the one I had at the present time. The Bonneville has all kinds of gizmos and gadgets on it (translate that as lots of unnecessary stuff that is expensive to fix when it breaks because I can't work on it) that everyone thinks they have to have these days.

I finally decided to start looking for a "real" car. I spent a few hours on Searchtempest looking at cars made in the 80's. I found an 88 Chevy Caprice in KY. 130,000 miles (55,000 less than the Bonneville), kept in a garage its entire life, all service records starting with the first oil change at 3,000 miles. It has a 305 smallblock with a carburetor. The transmission is behind the engine where it belongs, not wrapped around it with everything crossways under the hood. If something breaks, I can fix it.
That is my kind of car. http://www.forestryforum.com/board/Smileys/default/cool.gif

I don't have any pics yet , but there are some in the ad here - http://evansville.craigslist.org/cto/1932991016.html

Anyone want to buy a 98 Bonneville? http://www.forestryforum.com/board/Smileys/default/smiley.gif

Joe Pelonio
09-12-2010, 11:23 PM
Very nice, sure doesn't look 22 years old. That 305 was a great little V8, does it have a TH350 trans? I had the one on my '72 El Camino (sold it in 2007) rebuilt, cost just $1,200 compared top $3,000 for the modern Electronic versions.

Did you know they were talking about bringing back a rear-drive Caprice as a police vehicle in 2011?

Brian Elfert
09-13-2010, 7:38 AM
I'm a bit surprised GM would bring back the Caprice as a Police vehicle. Many depts are already using other GM vehicles as police vehicles to save on costs versus the Ford Crown Vic.

Ford is dropping the Crown Vic, but they are coming out with a new vehicle customized for police use based on the Taurus I believe.

Mike Olson
09-13-2010, 3:56 PM
I just read about that yesterday, they aren't really bringing it back. they are just talking about importing the caprice from Australia where it's been in production since for ever just for use as police cars. Apparently Australia still builds the el-Camino or at least something similar.

Mike Olson
09-13-2010, 3:57 PM
Back on Topic - David, that car looks sweet.

A 22 year old car in NY would be nothing but a rust spot on the side of the road...

Van Huskey
09-13-2010, 5:49 PM
I just read about that yesterday, they aren't really bringing it back. they are just talking about importing the caprice from Australia where it's been in production since for ever just for use as police cars. Apparently Australia still builds the el-Camino or at least something similar.

Holden makes all manner of interesting stuff.

They also love "trucklets" as they call El Caminoesque cars. This is one that was rumoured to be built on the G8 chassis but then well Pontiac kinda died.

Greg Portland
09-13-2010, 6:29 PM
If you want a large car that is very comfortable on the road check out a Toyota Avalon. It's made in KY, USA & has excellent long term maintenance reviews from the various car websites.

David Freed
09-13-2010, 11:14 PM
Very nice, sure doesn't look 22 years old. That 305 was a great little V8, does it have a TH350 trans? I had the one on my '72 El Camino (sold it in 2007) rebuilt, cost just $1,200 compared top $3,000 for the modern Electronic versions.

Did you know they were talking about bringing back a rear-drive Caprice as a police vehicle in 2011?
I'm not sure what transmission it is yet, but I'm pretty sure it isn't a TH350. I think the 350 was only made as a 3 speed. This is a 4 speed.
I had read somewhere about Caprice becoming a police car.

If you want a large car that is very comfortable on the road check out a Toyota Avalon. It's made in KY, USA & has excellent long term maintenance reviews from the various car websites.
I looked at the specs on the Avalon after reading your post. It's smaller than the Bonneville. That is one big reason I didn't like the Bonneville. There wasn't enough leg room for me.

Joe Pelonio
09-14-2010, 8:04 AM
Probably a 200R4 trans then. Another good one as long as you are not racing it.

Pat Germain
09-14-2010, 8:49 AM
The Caprice is a great, heavy-duty car. For many years, they were being shipped to Saudi Arabia and surrounding countries by the hundreds. The Arabs loved the Caprice because it has powerful air conditioning and a rugged suspension that rides nice on rough roads.

While the 305 is great because it's a small block Chevy, it wasn't known for power. As I recall, the heads were small and camshaft is the proverbial broomstick. However, since it's a small block Chevy, the world abounds with parts. Bolt on a high flowing set of heads, stab in a new cam and you'll have yourself a sleeper, street machine. :cool:

Jeff Monson
09-14-2010, 12:20 PM
Looks like a nice car Greg, dont see too many of that body style caprice on the road anymore...that car can either have a 200-r4 or a 700r4. The only thing I dont like about some of the last carbureted gm vehicles made is the feedback system on the carb. other than that pretty well made gm.

Mike Wellner
09-14-2010, 1:33 PM
Ford Broncos/F-150s made until 1996 are so easy and simple to fix.

Greg Portland
09-14-2010, 5:31 PM
I looked at the specs on the Avalon after reading your post. It's smaller than the Bonneville. That is one big reason I didn't like the Bonneville. There wasn't enough leg room for me.What specs were you comparing - Wheel base? You should go sit in one. My grandmother has a mid 80's caprice and my neighbor's Avalon definitely has a more comfortable & larger drivers seating area. Of course, you can pick up a used caprice for less than a used Avalon. If you are in the Avalon price range you could also take a look at a used Cadillac from the time when they were using the Northstar engines...

Tom Godley
09-15-2010, 7:34 AM
I have no fond memories of carburetors.

Although I do remember being able to switch out a TH350 during my lunch break in HS.

Joe Pelonio
09-15-2010, 8:00 AM

Although I do remember being able to switch out a TH350 during my lunch break in HS.
Oh, I do. The smell of unburned gas, an occasional backfire. Rebuilding them, boiling out the body in my Mom's favorite pot on the kitchen stove.:D

Jeff Monson
09-15-2010, 9:42 AM

My fondest memories of carbureted cars is when I can no longer see the taillights leaving the shop, thats a happy feeling.

Pat Germain
09-15-2010, 4:10 PM
I actually like working on carburetors. Clearly, fuel injection is superior. But carbs are pretty simple, really.

I think much of the cursing of carburetors is misdirected. People tended to blame the carb when it was really an ignition problem. And it is a bit of a dark art to get the air/fuel mixture and choke settings just right. And when they're not right, it really sucks.

David Freed
09-16-2010, 7:33 PM
Probably a 200R4 trans then. Another good one as long as you are not racing it.I always flush the transmission (see below), change the oil, and lube anything that needs it after I buy a car. I just haven't had time to do it yet. My local parts guy said it would either be a 200R4 or a 700R4 like Jeff said. One has a 4 sided pan and the other has an 8 sided pan. I can't remember which is which. I'm guessing it is the 200 like you said.

While the 305 is great because it's a small block Chevy, it wasn't known for power. As I recall, the heads were small and camshaft is the proverbial broomstick. However, since it's a small block Chevy, the world abounds with parts. Bolt on a high flowing set of heads, stab in a new cam and you'll have yourself a sleeper, street machine. :cool:I would prefer a 350, but like you said I'll never run out of parts. I might do some parts swapping later on.

What specs were you comparing - Wheel base? You should go sit in one. My grandmother has a mid 80's caprice and my neighbor's Avalon definitely has a more comfortable & larger drivers seating area. Of course, you can pick up a used caprice for less than a used Avalon. If you are in the Avalon price range you could also take a look at a used Cadillac from the time when they were using the Northstar engines...Here is where I was looking at the specs.
http://www.edmunds.com/used/1998/pontiac/bonneville/14093/specs.html
http://www.edmunds.com/used/1998/toyota/avalon/14000/specs.html
It does show that the Avalon has 1.5" more leg room, but it is still a smaller car overall and I just don't like small cars. You have to remember that you are talking to a guy that would choose a semi to take on a long trip over a pickup or a car if the cost was the same. I know, lots of other people think I'm weird too. :D I know I am just stubborn, but in my mind, Toyota is Japanese and it automatically gets ruled out. I realize that the Avalon (as well as others) are comfortable and made in the US, but I never look at anything that isn't made by one of the big three.

I do know that fuel injection is supposed to be better than a carburetor, but I can work on a carburetor. (refer to the line about being stubborn).

I flush a transmission by pulling the line off of the radiator that is feeding the cooler and run a hose from it to a drain pan to catch the old fluid. Then I start the engine and let it pump the old fluid out while I keep pouring in new. When it starts running bright red into the pan I quit pouring it in and shut the engine off when it quits pumping into the drain pan. Then I pull the pan off the transmission and change the filter.