PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else hate Quicken like I do?

Brian Elfert
09-12-2010, 9:37 PM
Microsoft has pulled the plug on Money so I have been forced to switch to Quicken. (Yes, I could use Money forever, but no online updates to accounts.)

I miss my Money big time. I can't stand Quicken. It keeps doing strange things like matching my transactions to a transaction that occured weeks ago. There is also no way I can find to merge transactions. Every time I pay my credit card I end up with two transactions as I can't merge the transfer from checking and the downloaded payment.

I suppose I'm just used to how Money worked as I never had another financial management program before Money.

Matt Meiser
09-12-2010, 11:39 PM
My wife did the conversion about 2 weeks ago. She hasn't complained too much except for a couple quirks she caused by accidentally swapping the account numbers on 2 account for online services. She chatted with support and they got that worked out. Then again, she's an accountant and she's pretty used to getting to know new financial systems between conversions at the places she's worked and job changes.

The problem you mention sounds like something is wrong--she mentioned something about liking how it did transactions. I'd get on with support and see what they say.

Bryan Morgan
09-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Indeed! I try to use Mint but since its now owned by the same people who make Quicken they've killed it. Half the stuff doesn't work right any any request for support just gets you a retard who either didn't read your question, got it mixed up with someone else's question, or they just send you some remotely related canned knowledge base response. Quicken is way too complex for something that should be relatively easy. I bought and tried to use Quicken 2008 but it never really worked right with my bank. I used an old version of Money for a long time (2000). I got Money 2005 and didn't really care for it either.

I really with Mint would work better. But its free which really gives no incentive to them to fix it.

John Keeton
09-13-2010, 7:18 AM
Brian, I think it really is just what program one becomes accustomed to. I have used Quicken, and Quickbooks, for decades - I don't really recall how long, but shortly after it came on the market. We have used it in business applications, and at home, including for rental properties in the past.

My wife uses it as well, and we love it. I hope it ultimately works for you.

The only negative is that Intuit has a pretty good ability to 'corner' one into upgrades if you do payroll with Quickbooks. They won't support the payroll program with tax tables unless you are operating in the most recent version of Quickbooks - or, at least, it was that way 3 years ago when we owned a business.

Brian Elfert
09-13-2010, 7:24 AM
Okay, I figured out how to match transactions in Quicken so things aren't quite so bad. I had searched on merge transactions earlier and got nowhere. Searching on match transactions got me my answer.

I also turned off auto insertion of downloaded transactions into the register which makes things easier. Now I can see what is new like I could in Money.

Bill LaPointe
09-13-2010, 7:25 AM
Never used Money, and like John, I have used Quicken and Quickbooks since it's earliest release. There is a learning curve on any program and once you get over that curve you won't be so unhappy. Overall a pretty good program for both personal and business use.

Dave Lehnert
09-13-2010, 11:18 AM
I checked into quicken a few moths ago when Money was discontinued.
Did not like the fact you had to buy a new program every few few years to keep using it. I would just use it for home use and buying it over and over again did not sit well with me.

Ron Conlon
09-13-2010, 12:05 PM
I was supremely disappointed in Quicken. I had hoped to use it to reduce the time spent manually tracking the finances, but I found that it couldn't download data from various institutions, sometimes transactions that I could view at my institution webpage were missing from downloads, and sometimes it would create duplicate transactions. The time I was spending trying to eliminnate the quirks finally got me to abandon Quicken altogether.

Brian Elfert
09-13-2010, 9:44 PM
Did not like the fact you had to buy a new program every few few years to keep using it. I would just use it for home use and buying it over and over again did not sit well with me.

Microsoft did the same thing with Money. You couldn't download transactions two years after the first use.

I would still be using Money if I could still download transactions, but my online services expired about 10 days ago.

Lee Koepke
09-13-2010, 10:13 PM
thats extremely frustrating .... we had quickbooks pro for our business, and after one year, my CPA needed me to upgrade to import directly in.

Luckily (sorta) I no longer have that business, however, I need to find a better way to track my little business expenses, without spending more money on programs than I make in revenue !!!

Eric Franklin
09-17-2010, 8:37 PM
I used to be a Quicken user but switched to the Mac OS X and ran the PC version of Quicken in a virtual machine because the Mac version was horrible. Got fed up with that and started using Mint and was never totally happy. I found YNAB(You need a budget) and it's what I've been wanting for years. I love how the budgeting works in it. The part lacking from YNAB is investments so I still use Mint to try those.

YNAB offers a trial and there is an iPhone app available. It runs on Windows, Mac and Linux.

http://www.youneedabudget.com/