PDA

View Full Version : My Delta 46-460 after the fire...

Donny Lawson
09-12-2010, 8:29 PM
I've been working all day trying to see what I can clean and salvage and I hope this piece will clean up and work right. It's been one H#$l of a weekend. I've never seen a mess like this in all my life.
Donny

David E Keller
09-12-2010, 8:32 PM
I hope she runs well, but man, she needs a little TLC.:o:D

John Keeton
09-12-2010, 8:33 PM
Donnie, I am amazed that the plastic housings, etc. aren't ruined! That being the case, seems like the lathe did not get a lot of heat, so it should be OK if you can get it cleaned up.

One day at a time! One piece at a time! Keep the faith!

Harvey Schneider
09-12-2010, 8:33 PM
I'd be afraid to plug it in.

James Roberts
09-12-2010, 8:34 PM
Good luck Donny, I'm very sorry you have to deal with this. I don't know if I could handle it as well as you seem to be. Hopefully, your homeowners insurance can help.

John Keeton
09-12-2010, 8:42 PM
I'd be afraid to plug it in.Nah - do it outside. Worst that can happen is the motor catches on fire - won't be much of a new thing for the Delta!:eek: My bet is the motor is OK. I think the plastic housings would have shown some real damage if the heat had been enough to get to the motor. And, the cord seems to be OK, too.

alex carey
09-12-2010, 8:46 PM
plus 1 to jk, if the housing is fine everything should be ok.

Josh Bowman
09-12-2010, 9:12 PM
Donny, I'd oil and grease the shafts and clean it up. The motor should be fine if it's dried out, as well as the convertor box. Looks like more smoke and water damage than fire and heat.

Donny Lawson
09-12-2010, 9:14 PM
I had a towel laid over part of the lathe bed that was over the motor part so maybe it diverted the water away from everything.It got too dark to find out anything tonight but I will find out tomorrow evening. I will keep my fingers crossed. The plastic housing is not melted (I don't think anyway). I will know more tomorrow.
Donny

David DeCristoforo
09-12-2010, 9:15 PM
Plug it in and turn it on... if the smoke hasn't been let out of it by now, leave it like that. It's a survivor. There is no mess like the aftermath of a fire. I'm so sorry you have to deal with this...

Joe Shinall
09-12-2010, 9:59 PM
Hope it works for you Donny. And if it does, you should send a picture and the story to Delta so they can publish it. "A tool that can take the heat!"

Michael James
09-12-2010, 10:21 PM
Im hoping it survived....If you plug it in and it doesnt work, I'd try a different powercord just in case it got in the line of destruction.
I wish you luck Donny!
Michael

Leo Van Der Loo
09-12-2010, 11:45 PM
Don't be too much in a hurry with turning it on, make sure it is all dry inside, as it looks fine on the outside, moisture could do it in yet if it isn't dried out first.

You never seen a mess like that before, and I hope you never will ever again :-)

brian watts
09-13-2010, 1:17 AM
hope everything is ok with it..if you need anything let me know..

Gary Max
09-13-2010, 1:22 AM
Sure hated seeing that-----hope you can get her up and running again Donny.

Paul Douglass
09-13-2010, 11:42 AM
My money is on it being okay. Looks mostly like smoke damage. I'd plug it in and give it a try.

Barry Elder
09-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Donny, if I may paraphrase an old saying: Your life's journey begin with one small step. May all your steps be successful!

Stephan Larson
09-13-2010, 2:30 PM
Donny,

Don't know how it is to go through a fire but did once go through a tornado in Marietta Ga in '92. Sure is tough going though all of the debris of a house and a lifetime, not to mention losing a hot rod and basically everything to do with my workshop. John Keeton made a very good point about going through all of your things and video taping everything, open closets, drawers, and record it all. Of course we didn't have that at the time we lost it but here's hoping all the rest of you creekers pay heed. Donny all I can tell you about our experience is that you do get through it and we built better than we started with. Trust in GOD not to give you more than you can handel and show all your friends and family how much you appreicate them.

Stephan C

Allen Neighbors
09-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Donny, I don't know why, but this is the first time I've heard about your fire. I'm so sorry. Don't know what to say, other than that.....
I do know what you feel like, tho', because I've been there... Just take it slow and easy... one day at a time... keep your chin up, and don't get discouraged... Keep on keeping on, and it'll get better before too long...
Hope your lathe works when you plug it in... but like Leo says... make sure it's really dry inside the motor housing...
Blessings to you, friend, I'm sorry to hear about it...

Patrick Grady
09-15-2010, 10:01 AM
I agree with advice above: don't run anything until you a sure the bearings are dry and cleaned. I would not power the motor prior to disassembling and thoroughly cleaning. I went through similar experience with flood water (killer salt water). Take your time and clean, check, and resurface all electrical contacts and wiring. Good luck

Harvey Schneider
09-15-2010, 11:04 AM
Compressed air to drive out the majority of any trapped water followed by a low temperature bake will work for most motors.
I would not power up any electronics until I was absolutely sure that it is bone dry.

The thing that scares me most is possible damage to the motors winding insulation which might result in a shock hazard. I have seen motors running at over 200 degrees from self heating without damage, but you have no way of knowing what that motor was exposed to. Forty years of electronics experience has taught me to be conservative when it comes to safety.