PDA

View Full Version : I need clamps!

Jeremy Greiner
09-12-2010, 7:48 PM
I did a dry fit of a cabinet project I'm making for my conference room at my office and I'm going to need a bunch of clamps to hold this sucker together when glue up comes.

My question is, how many clamps (and certian types if important?) per side am I looking at to hold this guy in place?

For the record, I have 3 pipe clamps 2ft long, and 2 small quick grip clamps that are too small to be useful.

-jeremy

glenn bradley
09-12-2010, 10:29 PM
I always reach for my parallel clamps first. My pipe clamps haven't been off the wall in a couple years but, when you need them, they are great to have. Parallel clamps can give you a bit of sticker chock if you aren't ready for it. I have never paid retail for any of my Bessey's; I watched for sales and picked them up here and there.

Tom Hammond
09-12-2010, 10:36 PM
I have

Jorgensen Bar Clamps
25 - 24"
15 - 36"
6 - 48"
4 - 60"

Irwin Squeeze-handle Clamps
12 - 48"
12 - 36"
12 - 24"
12 - 12"
12 - smalls

Sometimes, it's not enough.

Mark Smith, too
09-12-2010, 10:39 PM
My question is, how many clamps (and certian types if important?) per side am I looking at to hold this guy in place?

For the record, I have 3 pipe clamps 2ft long, and 2 small quick grip clamps that are too small to be useful.

-jeremy

Jeremy, since you are shy on clamps I wonder if you have considered using brads plus glue, the brads basically replacing the clamps for the most part? A pneumatic brad nailer would make this a snap, but you can hand drive brads and accomplish the same thing if you don't bang too hard.

BTW: If I were to do what you've done I'd have created two boxes and fastened them together rather than one odd shaped box. You'd have to keep the back off to clamp the rear of the smaller top piece the way it is set up now. The rear would be nice to be able to put on while gluing to help square things up. You could do that with separate boxes. Of course if you go the brad route, you still can because you can skip the clamp in that spot.

Mark Woodmark
09-12-2010, 10:49 PM
Jeremy, since you are shy on clamps I wonder if you have considered using brads plus glue, the brads basically replacing the clamps for the most part? A pneumatic brad nailer would make this a snap, but you can hand drive brads and accomplish the same thing if you don't bang too hard.

Brads wont apply the amount of pressure clamps would. If the joints fit tight dry, only light clamping will be needed when glued. In this case brads could be substituted. The nails are basically to hold the joint together while the glue dries. If alot of clamping pressure is required, the piece will have built in stresses and joint failure could occur somewhere down the road

John A. Callaway
09-12-2010, 10:56 PM
I stop in at lowes after every payday and buy a few F clamps from Bessey... after I build up a good number of the regular lengths.... I will start with the Revo clamps :(

But to answer your question... some say a clamp every six inches ...some say every eight inches... some say a clamp every ten inches with clamping cauls ... so It is your guess is as good as anybody's....

Mike Heidrick
09-13-2010, 12:40 AM
Jeremy, could you have used pocket screws?

I do not want to put in print all the number and types of clamps I own.

A plug here for the bowclamp folks - that could save on the number of clamps you might need.

Mike Heidrick
09-13-2010, 12:43 AM
Here is a 2006 SMC thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=35988&highlight=bowclamps

eugene thomas
09-13-2010, 3:09 AM
i would buy what ya need. every woodworker has own idea of what need. but i do woodworking as side business and have like 25 pipe clamps. 6- 5', 6- 4', and 9-2' with some connector pipe fittings.

Jeremy Greiner
09-13-2010, 10:44 AM
I ordered what I think is enough jet parallel clamps from amazon. I'll have to watch for some sales and order some more when they get a touch cheaper.

I plan to use screws as well, from the bottom and back of the cabinet. I just wanted a secure clamping when I glue it because this will be holding some heavier stuff and I want it to be solid.

-jeremy

Paul Johnstone
09-13-2010, 11:39 AM
You can make your own cauls very quickly out of 2 x 2 stock if you have a jointer or handplane. It saves a lot of $$ vs buying them.. I prefer to use hardwood for caul, but others have used framing lumber.

Doug Shepard
09-13-2010, 3:07 PM

A plug here for the bowclamp folks - that could save on the number of clamps you might need.

My thoughts too. Plus they can put pressure in places too deep for most clamps.

Jesse Wilson
09-13-2010, 3:36 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Bessey-KRK2440-Fixed-Parallel-Clamp/dp/B001HSO6V8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1284406563&sr=8-1

Buy a few sets of these...

Prashun Patel
09-13-2010, 3:42 PM
I second Jesse's recomendation on the Bessey's. I just bought another set.

Another thing to note is that these are actually sold by Peachtree via Amazon. They are running free shipping on orders > $50 I think. So if you want to get anything else from them at this time - through Amazon, you can get free shipping on that as well if you bundle with these clamps.