PDA

View Full Version : Sentimental piece(s)...

Michael James
09-12-2010, 7:01 PM
This is the maple I got all excited about a while back when I asked about the DNA protocol. I thought I might get lucky with a little figure, and ended up with OMG.... Now I know what you mean when you say you don't know what you'll find.
I saw a little spalting in this piece of crotchwood and hoped I would get lucky as this was found in a pile of downed wood at my wife's mother's resting spot in Illinois. (I think Joe M and his gang got about 60 walnut trees out of this cemetary) There is enough for a little open form each for my wife, her favorite and and her cousin who are getting together at thanksgiving. Also, a pen each for lil missie and me. This singular piece of wood put me over the top, and there's no turning back.:cool: I think I "get it".

Hope you like these pics better than last night's attempt.....:o

The finished piece was dosed in 50/50 tung oil after it dried from the DNA bath, finished in tung oil "finish", buffed and waxed. It is ~ 3.5 at the widest, and about 3.25 tall.

Robert McGowen
09-12-2010, 7:11 PM
That wood has a little bit of everything going on, Michael.
It is nice that it means so much to everyone there.

James Roberts
09-12-2010, 7:27 PM
Character aplenty in that piece Michael. I'm sure they will be well received.

David E Keller
09-12-2010, 8:24 PM
Great color in that piece and a wonderful story.

John Keeton
09-12-2010, 8:40 PM
Michael, that was certainly a nice surprise waiting for you inside that piece of wood!! Really a beautiful piece, and you did a nice job with it. Glad you were able to get some other turnings from it, as well - they will all be well received.

Tom Sherman
09-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Very cool indeed Mike nice work on it too.

William Hutchinson
09-13-2010, 3:07 AM
That is one wild looking piece. The form appears to change shape with each new profile perspective.

Joe Meirhaeghe
09-13-2010, 10:25 AM
Looks like you've diffently fell into the Vortex.
Once that turning bug bites you there's no cure that I know of.
Glad to see your sticking with this Mike. Your making great progress.

Michael James
11-24-2010, 11:06 PM
I finally got a finish on the other 2 pieces and it was quite a learing experience from sawing the wood open, the DNA, to turning green, returning, re-truing, etc. As I look at these and the piece I'm working on, I see progress. I can live with that!
1 of these pieces is going to an aunt who has lost her son and husband, another will go to her daughter. Regardless of the imperfections, Im sure they will be treasured. They fly out tomorrow.
Tung oil, 2 coats of WOP and 3 wheel buff.

Baxter Smith
11-24-2010, 11:12 PM
Amazing how the finish can bring some wood to life. Lots of character in those for sure!

Richard Madden
11-24-2010, 11:26 PM
Nice work, Michael. Thanks for sharing the pictures and the story. I'm sure they will be well received

Steve Schlumpf
11-24-2010, 11:30 PM
Nice work Michael! You sure brought out some rich color with that finish! I am sure everyone will cherish the mementos!

Steve Vaughan
11-25-2010, 8:34 AM
Very, very cool, indeed! Mother nature does a heck of a job with wood, don't she?

Christopher K. Hartley
11-25-2010, 8:18 PM
Michael, These forms remind me of one of my early and most favorite turnings. I like you was astounded by what the wood revealed. Nature is always presenting us wonders. I guess this is one big reason that turning is so much fun.:)

Bernie Weishapl
11-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Nice turnings Michael. That wood sure opened up some good looking stuff.