PDA

View Full Version : Bell Flower. Is this a "groove"? Or a "rut"...

David DeCristoforo
09-12-2010, 1:44 PM
Yet another maple flower form. I don't think I'm done with this yet...
The "stick" is bubinga with a "chocolate" color.

Roger Chandler
09-12-2010, 1:53 PM
David,

Really pretty form and a beautiful piece of wood to do such a work with. Stunning comes to mind, and your pedestal really is becoming part of your signature.

I like this dye effect on the inside. Just wonderful overall, and congratulations on your feature on Woodturners America!

Tom Sherman
09-12-2010, 2:07 PM
This is another in a series of winners Very nice work.

John Keeton
09-12-2010, 2:14 PM
David, I really like this form! The others have been exceptionally nice, as well, but for me, this slender form really looks great on your 'signature pedestal.' Beautiful work!

Tom Sherman
09-12-2010, 2:18 PM
And by the way I think it is a 'Grove thing'

William Hutchinson
09-12-2010, 2:42 PM
This piece is stunning and I think one of your best. The form, maple burl and of course the stem all combine into a brilliant piece. You fully exploited the beauty of the material by the use of inside coloration that makes the downward edge a striking feature. It's just wonderful work.

Paul Douglass
09-12-2010, 2:47 PM
Definitely in a groove! beautiful

Dee Gallo
09-12-2010, 2:50 PM
I think it's groovy! Quite delicate and natural in form, the stem is terrific!

cheers, dee

David E Keller
09-12-2010, 3:08 PM
I like it... Reminds me of a champagne flute. The lipstick red interior really adds something for me.

gary Zimmel
09-12-2010, 3:16 PM
Another winner David! The smaller form really sets off the slender stick...
What are the dimensions? Very well done again..

Ted Calver
09-12-2010, 3:20 PM
Excellent!! You really stuck this one :)

David DeCristoforo
09-12-2010, 4:19 PM
"You really stuck this one..."

Um... er... Ok... not going to go there. Anyway, thanx for all the kind remarks. I am having fun here...

Steve Schlumpf
09-12-2010, 5:15 PM
Very nice! Good form, great pedestal/stem. What makes the piece for me is the use of color on the inside of the goblet bowl - especially the outer edge of the natural rim. Draws the eye to the natural edge!

Very nice work! Good to hear you are having fun - that leads to even more creativity!

David DeCristoforo
09-12-2010, 6:02 PM
"What are the dimensions?..."

Three inches at the top of the "bell" and a "skosh" under twelve tall...

Baxter Smith
09-12-2010, 7:01 PM
Good groove, rut, whatever! The lipstick adds a very nice touch to a very nice piece!

James Roberts
09-12-2010, 7:06 PM
I'm with the others who vote for "groove". What a beautiful piece.

Curt Fuller
09-12-2010, 7:40 PM
Groove, definitely groove! Groovy!

David DeCristoforo
09-12-2010, 8:22 PM
Thanx Curt. And thanx for the heads up on the web site thing. I would have never even known about it...

Michael James
09-12-2010, 10:07 PM
If I had known you folks were all award winning artistes here....I would have started hanging out elsewhere. Beautiful piece! I don't know if you've hit your stride yet, but these pieces are terrific in every way.
mj

Tom Sherman
09-12-2010, 10:32 PM
Mike not only is DD in stride I believe he's shooting to set the pace.;)

David DeCristoforo
09-12-2010, 11:53 PM
Mike not only is DD in stride I believe he's shooting to set the pace.;)

Thanx Mike... but no... I will leave
that to others far more accomplished
than myself!

Leo Van Der Loo
09-13-2010, 1:06 AM
David I like this one much better, the dimensions and color combination are just right, in my eye at least, it's the best one yet :cool: :D

bob svoboda
09-13-2010, 9:03 AM
Definitely a groove. Nice job as usual David.

steven carter
09-13-2010, 11:41 AM
David,

This is really really really really nice. Did I mention that is is yeally nice?
The color on the inside is very striking, as is the overall piece. I love the slender pedestal and the way the "flower" sits. Congrats on the recognition on the other website, it is wll deserved.

Steve

David DeCristoforo
09-13-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanx Steve and everyone else for all of the flattering comments and support. I know I would not be having nearly as much fun with this if it were not for this forum and the support it (you) provides.

Mike Spanbauer
09-13-2010, 12:12 PM
That's sharp David! I really like it. Maple is one of the few woods that I feel really takes bold color dyes well. In addition, coloring is a knack (one I don't have, just ask my wife, the trained artist :p) and you've got a good eye for it. Well done!

mike

Richard Madden
09-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Great work David, I really like it. Everything about it fits right with me. Hows about next time you make one of these you snap some pictures along the way. I'd love to see the process you go through in making these beautiful pieces.

Allen Neighbors
09-14-2010, 1:42 PM
David, you keep out-doing yourself!! Gets better all the time!!

Great work David, I really like it. Everything about it fits right with me. Hows about next time you make one of these you snap some pictures along the way. I'd love to see the process you go through in making these beautiful pieces.
I'm with Richard a WIP would be nice for some of us more klutzful dummies.:D

Thanx Curt. And thanx for the heads up on the web site thing. I would have never even known about it...
What's the other website? I'd like to see the other recognition you've received... :confused::rolleyes::)

Scott Hackler
09-14-2010, 1:54 PM
David, this a a sure fire winner. I am realaly digging the dye treatment your using in the last few forms. This one looks to be a cross between a wine glass and a flower. I also really like the bead on the stem at the transition point. Great job.

David DeCristoforo
09-14-2010, 3:12 PM
"I'm with Richard a WIP would be nice for some of us more klutzful dummies."

I would be Ok with doing some "in progress" shots. But you have to be aware of something. I will not be able to demonstrate any "technique". In fact, any moderately accomplished turner would either laugh at or choke on what passes for technique in my "shop". Once, when I brought my latest creation into the house, my daughter asked "How do you do that?" My answer was pretty much as follows:

I take a beautiful piece of wood and look at it for as long as it takes for me to see the shape it contains. Then I mount it on the lathe and, with my heart in my throat, begin gingerly stabbing at it with oddly shaped pieces of sharp steel in the hope that I can ultimately produce something more useful than a pile of curly shavings and dust (something that has been the result of at least several attempts).

Any success I have had is directly attributable to the fact that I have spent most of my life working with wood and tools so I have a pretty good grip on how the two are related. But when it comes to lathe work, I'm a beginner. None of my pieces are "perfect" and anyone could find flaws that would not be there if I were a "better turner". Hopefully one day I will be. I have always encouraged people not to allow themselves to be defeated by lack of "technique". I have always felt that a good artistic vision will overcome the lack of a master's skill and even though it's true that poor execution can detract from a piece, I believe that a brilliant (or even a "good") design can overcome the lack of technique. A brilliantly executed piece of poor design will always be just that.

Technique and skill are only acquired by doing. They cannot be learned by watching or reading. Those will give you knowledge but knowledge and skill are not the same. An artisan really does need both. But in the process of acquiring skill, one can still accomplish artistic expression, gain satisfaction, enjoy the creative process and bring beautiful objects into the world. And that's really what's all about, isn't it?

Allen Neighbors
09-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Dadburn, DD, all we wanted was a few pichurs!! You had to go and wax fillusofical on us! :D
BTW, Well said!! :)

David DeCristoforo
09-15-2010, 12:40 AM
Dadburn, DD, all we wanted was a few pichurs!! You had to go and wax fillusofical on us! :D
BTW, Well said!! :)

Sorry... I got carried away...