PDA

View Full Version : Chevron Design Segmentation

Bill Bulloch
09-12-2010, 12:57 PM
I borrowed this Chevron design from Bill Kandler (Bill has a very nice DVD for anyone interested the "how-to" of Segmenting). It turned out fairly well, I think. You might notice that on one of the chevron rings I mistakingly used Hard Maple instead of the Curly Maple that I used on the other rings. I didn't notice it until I applied the Sanding Sealer.

10 inch Diameter and 6 inches high. Sanding Sealer and five coats of Clear Gloss Poly.

What ya think?

Tom Sherman
09-12-2010, 1:02 PM
I think it still looks pretty good Bill.

Steve Schlumpf
09-12-2010, 1:14 PM
Always something... but it looks pretty good to me! Sure got that joinery thing down!

Robert McGowen
09-12-2010, 1:22 PM
Very nice, Bill. Your alignment is 1000% better than when you first started doing this. You may not realize how much you have improved, but it really shows.

Quinn McCarthy
09-12-2010, 1:32 PM
Nice bowl Bill.

I don't have that DVD. The Malcom Tibbets and Curt theolbold Ones are great too.

Have you joined the segmented turners association? They have a great web site.

Quinn

Allen Neighbors
09-12-2010, 2:41 PM
Bill, I wouldn't have noticed the difference in the Maple, if you hadn't pointed it out. I admire you guys with the guts to do the segmenting... Great job!

John Keeton
09-12-2010, 4:41 PM
Bill, I like it. Hard to notice the maple difference unless pointed out.

David E Keller
09-12-2010, 4:44 PM
That looks great... I really like the little piece next to it on the shelf, too.

Harvey Ghesser
09-12-2010, 7:54 PM
Lot's of work involved in that work of art, Bill! Just beautiful!

James Roberts
09-12-2010, 8:02 PM
I guess it will have to do, what with the glaring maple error and all. Send it to me so you don"t have to be embarrassed to show it any more.:D

Seriously, you have gotten very good at this segmenting thing. My hat's off to you.

Michelle Rich
09-13-2010, 6:30 AM
nice bowl. I like your feature ring..I've seen that video and it is fairly good. I love segmenting, so I hope you post more.

Tim Boger
09-13-2010, 7:08 AM
Good Morning Bill,

I do mostly segmenting work and know for a fact what a great job you've done, I really like the design of the feature ring.

If I'm not mistaken, wouldn't the attached picture be considered a "chevron"

Nicely Done!

Tim

Bill Bulloch
09-13-2010, 7:55 AM
Good Morning Bill,

I do mostly segmenting work and know for a fact what a great job you've done, I really like the design of the feature ring.

If I'm not mistaken, wouldn't the attached picture be considered a "chevron"

Nicely Done!

Tim

Yes it is, and a beautiful job too. A chevron is a V-shaped pattern; yours points up, mine points to the left. Thanks for the compliment.

Bill Bulloch
09-13-2010, 8:03 AM
Very nice, Bill. Your alignment is 1000% better than when you first started doing this. You may not realize how much you have improved, but it really shows.

Thanks Robert. I was looking at my old post here on the forum and the differents betweet then and now are glaring. This is in part, to the help you and Richard gave me during those early days (10 months ago). Goes to show that with the right help and self-determination one can do wonders.

Tim Boger
09-13-2010, 8:28 AM
Yes it is, and a beautiful job too. A chevron is a V-shaped pattern; yours points up, mine points to the left. Thanks for the compliment.

I stand corrected Bill, guess I wasn't paying close attention.

Really a beautiful piece, one to be proud of!

Tim

Tony De Masi
09-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Really nice piece Bill. As others have mentioned, if you didn't point out the maple vs. maple thing, I'm not sure we would have noticed.

Great job.

Peter Fabricius
09-13-2010, 7:34 PM
HI Bill;
Beautiful segmented bowl. Is there any chance of posting or a PM with the design specs. Eg: the segment dimensions and how you made the nice feature ring?
I am just learning how to make segmented bowls and have made one so far. I would like to make one like yours.
Thanks
Peter F.

Bill Bulloch
09-13-2010, 8:59 PM
HI Bill;
Beautiful segmented bowl. Is there any chance of posting or a PM with the design specs. Eg: the segment dimensions and how you made the nice feature ring?
I am just learning how to make segmented bowls and have made one so far. I would like to make one like yours.
Thanks
Peter F.

Peter, Be glad to help. PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy of my Project Plan, tells you everything you need to know. It's to much for a PM.

Bill

Peter Fabricius
09-14-2010, 2:07 PM
Thank you Bill;
PM sent with my email address.
Peter F.