PDA

View Full Version : Burled oak

Ken Glass
09-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Hey Vortex Victims,
Here is a Burled Oak piece (on a steek), I turned from the big haul of Burled Oak I got 2-3 weeks ago. How about that shop towel backdrop, huh. I was too lazy to set up the tent and lighting, so sorry for the picture quality. It was an off fall piece from the vase I rough turned last week. It is 10" tall and 4" at its widest. Of course its burled Oak w/ an ebonized pedestal of American Holly. The steek may look bottom heavy, but was needed to support the unbalanced turning. It has a Ren Wax finish and the steek has a lacquer finish. It is going, with several other pieces to the gallery in Springfield to be sold, (I hope). Thanks for any comments.

Steve Schlumpf
09-12-2010, 12:40 PM
Very pretty goblet! Great looking Oak burl - lots of character!

Best of luck with your gallery sales!

Tom Sherman
09-12-2010, 1:17 PM
Very nice Ken, looks real good.

Rick Robbins
09-12-2010, 1:19 PM
Very nice look. like the burl. Rick

Allen Neighbors
09-12-2010, 2:26 PM
Ken, I think it's gorgeous!! And I think you did well on the "steek", too.! Nice work!

John Keeton
09-12-2010, 4:32 PM
Ken, that is really some nice burl!! Good work on this one, and that ebonized holly makes a very nice pedestal.

David E Keller
09-12-2010, 4:36 PM
Nice looking piece. The oak burl is great, and I think the pedestal looks great. The visual balance of the piece changes depending on the rotation, but the third photo looks perfectly balanced to me.

Baxter Smith
09-12-2010, 7:06 PM
Very nice goblet. I have some dry and drying holly that I would like to try that with. What was your procedure for ebonizing this piece? Thanks.

James Roberts
09-12-2010, 7:09 PM
Very pretty burl goblet, Ken. Like the stick, too.

Ken Glass
09-12-2010, 7:38 PM
Baxter,
Because this is a production piece, I took the easy way out and shot it with 3 coats of fast dying black lacquer and then 4 coats of clear gloss lacquer. I would normally use a black dye made from vinegar and steel wool or a black stain. I needed it for tomorrow so I didn't want to wait for a stain to dry for a day or two before final finish.