PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Bandsaw purchase - G0513P or G0513X2?

Tom Matthews
09-12-2010, 10:08 AM
I'm going to order a new bandsaw on Monday to upgrade from a Craftsman bandsaw that's not really that great (so anything is going to be a pretty significant upgrade).

I was going to go with the Grizzly G0513P since it's on sale, but as it gets closer to "order day" I've been wondering if maybe I should go with the G0513X2.

Coming from the Craftsman, I'm not sure I will even appreciate the ball bearing guides over the Euro style (the Craftsman uses phenolic blocks as the side guides). From reading here, it sounds like the cast iron wheels are nice, but nothing I really will miss if I go with the G0513P. The resaw fence would be nice to have, but I could always buy the Kreg fence if I decide I want a resaw fence.

The cast iron trunnions are what I'm mostly hung up on. I talked with a guy who bought a G0513X2 and he said they're nice to have because it gives him extra piece of mind when he's sawing a big log on the table. I don't see myself doing a lot of that (I know a guy with a sawmill so anything bigger than firewood I'd just take up to him), but you never know.

I can swing the extra $200 for the X2 but I'm just wondering if it's worth it. Does the X2 come with both a standard fence and the resaw fence, or do you just lay the resaw fence down? One of the pictures looks like it has the same fence as the G0513P.

So what do you think? Spend the extra $200 on the X2, or use it for blades and a Carter Bandsaw Stabilizer (which I'll probably buy no matter which saw I get)

Cary Falk
09-12-2010, 10:46 AM
The fence on the saws are not the same. The one on the 513X2 has 2 positions of the Al extrusion for high and low.. If you are thinking you might buy a kreg fence then you have almost spent the $200 price difference. The 513X2 gives you CI wheels and Trunnion(with micro adjust), larger table, nicer fence, ball bearing guides.

Jim O'Dell
09-12-2010, 11:22 AM
If you will be using the saw for resawing wood, the CI wheels and the inertia they provide would be nice. Helps keep the blade speed up when sawing in hard wood. I mentioned on another thread about this saw, that if it just had the foot brake, it would be a killer saw. Still very nice with out it. Jim.

Tom Hassad
09-12-2010, 5:24 PM
Rikon has come out with a new model that I think will run $1100. I am not sure how the specs stack up against the Grizzly but it is something to consider too.

But if you have to pick between the two, cast iron tires will give you piece of mind when you get bogged down in a resaw and worry whether the wheels are flexing or not. (I have never used these saws or anything close but that is what I would think if I was in that situation).

glenn bradley
09-12-2010, 5:49 PM
I'd add the $200 for a good after market fence to the 'P' model's price and reconsider. It would be a shame to want some bolt-ons right after unpacking your new saw. BTDT, YMMV.

greg a bender
09-12-2010, 6:02 PM
Well, I just bought the G0513P and am quite happy with it. I too came from a cheap 14" saw. Mine was a 'no name'.

The fence is OK, I might replace it later, but, for now, its much better than what I had, which was none ;).

Depending on what you are going to do with your saw, save the $200.00 and invest in some good blades.

GB

Mike Goetzke
09-12-2010, 7:16 PM
Tom, do a search there are many recent post about these two saws. I got the OK to go for a larger BS when there was still MS CashBack on e-bay. I was ready to pull the trigger and saw the 513x2 right underneath the 513p. I ended up with the x2 - cast wheels, larger cast table, better fence, and cast trunnion.

I could never resaw on my Delta 14" BS and even with the cheap 1/2" included blade I did a world better on this saw.

Hope you enjoy your X2;).

Mike

Tom Matthews
09-12-2010, 8:05 PM
Just pulled the trigger on the X2 - decided it was better to just spend the extra $200 rather than wonder if I should have for the life of the G0513P.

Now I've just got to get a 220 outlet in the shop and clear out some floor space. Thanks for the help guys!

Jacob Mac
09-12-2010, 8:39 PM
I think you made the right call. When I had the 513, I almost immediately had to address the fence issue. I used a shop made fence, but it still took time and money to get the fence right. Add in the bigger table and better wheels, and I regretted my choice.

Tom Hassad
09-12-2010, 8:59 PM
Just pulled the trigger on the X2 - decided it was better to just spend the extra $200 rather than wonder if I should have for the life of the G0513P.

Now I've just got to get a 220 outlet in the shop and clear out some floor space. Thanks for the help guys!

Tom - please post your review/user experience when you unpack it and run it through its paces - I have this on my list as well.

Tom Matthews
09-14-2010, 12:50 PM
I'll definitely do that Tom.

Unfortunately it looks like I'll be waiting a while. The X2 is out of stock until 10/15, so I probably won't see it until closer to the end of October.

Mark Ashmeade
09-14-2010, 3:23 PM
I just finished putting my new G0513P together, and it's a very good machine. I think it's all down to expectations, and they will be based on what you want to do with it. The Al wheels and steel trunnions don't bother me in the slightest, they are both strong items that look as if they will be durable. If it turns out I'll be resawing 100lb 12 inch logs, I'll need another saw, but that's not on the horizon just yet. The fence is perfectly serviceable, but no masterpiece. I may just drill a couple holes in it and put a resaw face & brace on it. Best of both worlds then. That just leaves the bigger table. Well the 17" table is 3 inches all round bigger than the one I used to have, so no big deal, I'm enjoying my "bigger" table. I couldn't justify spending 1/3 more, and it's working out for me just fine. YMMV.