PDA

View Full Version : Elm closed form bowl, just a small one ;-))

Leo Van Der Loo
09-12-2010, 1:05 AM
This is an American Elm, or also called White Elm bowl, nothing much special in the wood, so the shape does have to carrie it all by itself ;)

All comments welcome as always :D

161023 161026 161024 161025

William Hutchinson
09-12-2010, 7:11 AM
Very nice, the simple profile flips into a complex set of angles in the lip detail. I think the shape of the grain lines give this bowl a unique character.

John Keeton
09-12-2010, 7:16 AM
Love the bull's eye in the grain! Very nice form to this one Leo, but I think the wood is pretty neat, too.

patrick michael stein
09-12-2010, 7:18 AM
hi leo,

very nice looks like it was quarter sawn with ray flecks showing,

patrick:)

Bernie Weishapl
09-12-2010, 7:50 AM
Leo that is a very nice bowl and love the grain of the wood.

Harvey Ghesser
09-12-2010, 9:50 AM
Hi Leo,

Your almost constant change in bowl shapes is always a delight for me! What will the next shape be?

Always a pleasure to view a Leo Van Der Loo creation!

Paul Douglass
09-12-2010, 11:26 AM
That is beautiful. I think the wood is really pretty. You really worked the grain just right.

Steve Schlumpf
09-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Very nice bowl Leo! Love the natural curve on this one!

Tom Sherman
09-12-2010, 1:22 PM
Yep I'm liking this one. Well done Leo.

Roger Chandler
09-12-2010, 2:00 PM
Great bowl Leo, great grain orientation and really pretty form!

Allen Neighbors
09-12-2010, 2:38 PM
Leo, it's a beauty! In that third photo, I see grain running all the radials of the compass, a little blue spalting, and a eye-pleasing shape! Well done, all the way around, this one.

Baxter Smith
09-12-2010, 7:10 PM
There may be nothing special about the wood, but the way the grain orientation matches the shape makes this turning very special to look at!

scott spencer
09-12-2010, 7:12 PM
Elm has such cool grain. Nice job with the bowl.

James Roberts
09-12-2010, 7:18 PM
For some wood with "nothing much special" in it, you have gone and created something truly special. Very nice, Leo.

charlie knighton
09-12-2010, 10:22 PM
very nice, i said that looks like Leo's walnut, looked up and it was done by Leo, keep um coming Leo :D

neil mackay
09-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Shape and form are good and the orientation of the grain is well done.

All in all a great outcome

Leo Van Der Loo
09-14-2010, 1:10 AM
Sorry for letting this get away almost, lots of new postings the last 2 days :o, but that is a good thing of course :D
I've been preoccupied still with our youngest grand daughter, she had a checkup today, and she is doing just fine, so tomorrow they are heading home again, so that's a gloat in my opinion :D :D

Then a half gloat for getting some more turning wood that I don't really need, but hé, I can't help it that free wood appeals to me more than common cense :) :rolleyes: :D.

Whole log of Siberian Elm just across the street one house over and the lady did want it removed but for the bottom 3 feet (flower pot stand :eek:), cut it down and dragged it across the street, been busy with looking after that also.

Also have to thank all of you for replying to the posting of the Elm bowl, thank you very much :) :) :) :)

Jon Lanier
09-14-2010, 2:33 AM
That is a cute bowl. Or is a pot missing the rainbow and gold? Where is that Leprechaun?

Jeff Nicol
09-14-2010, 7:28 AM
Leo, I have an affection for the old Elm trees too, something about their tough exterior, not so wonderful smell and subtle inner grain and figure qualities keep me coming back to it!

You did a fine job on the little pot and it shows us the zig-zag grain pattern that I mentioned in the "Mystery Wood" thread. The finish brings out all the soft beauty in this kind of under used wood.

Great big Siberian Elm too! Have fun with that,

Jeff

Rob Cunningham
09-14-2010, 12:59 PM
Nice looking bowl Leo. The rim treatment adds a nice touch.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-14-2010, 1:15 PM
Shape and form are good and the orientation of the grain is well done.

All in all a great outcome

Thanks for commenting Neil :D

Leo, I have an affection for the old Elm trees too, something about their tough exterior, not so wonderful smell and subtle inner grain and figure qualities keep me coming back to it!

You did a fine job on the little pot and it shows us the zig-zag grain pattern that I mentioned in the "Mystery Wood" thread. The finish brings out all the soft beauty in this kind of under used wood.

Great big Siberian Elm too! Have fun with that,

Jeff

Thank you Jeff :D, a bit soft for furniture and not very good for outdoor projects sure takes a lot of uses away from it, though it has good qualities for things that do stay dry as it is pretty tough for it's weight and not split prone.
I don't mind the smell much, even Walnut doesn't smell that great, and most everyone like turning that :)
Yes the zig-zag pattern makes it easier to ID it, and the Siberian Elm does look a lot like Walnut it anything, not quite as nice though, I have a big one behind my house, got to be at least 3 feet D, but it is safe as I do like the shade of it on our Patio in the summer :D, have fun and take care :D