PDA

View Full Version : I Succumbed to the Sirens Song

Baxter Smith
09-12-2010, 12:10 AM
When I was in Maine a couple of weeks ago, I noticed some spinny stuff on the New Hampshire Craigs List.
I have a perfectly good late 60’s VS Rockwell/Delta and lots of stuff to go with it, ….but there were a couple things of interest.;):) So I took a little road trip and picked up some Oneway items - a complete coring system, a bowl steady, a stronghold chuck, two live centers, a face plate and a curved tool rest.

When I got home, I added those things up and found…. I had come within 50$ of paying new prices! Dang!!! :eek:

The seller was a nice guy so he threw in some yellow thing too.
Kind of ugly on the outside….. but not where it matters.:)

Perhaps I got my real motivation for the trip reversed, but getting a free lathe sounds better when you are explaining it to your better half!:)

Then one evening last week, I saw an 18” bandsaw listed on the Eastern Shore Craigslist. I have a couple 14 inch Deltas, including one with a riser, but have been wanting bigger for a while now. (And now I need it!) :D
Two hours later, (it was an hour and a half drive,) it was on its spine in the back of my van. This model hadn’t been on my list….. but for 400, I threw out the list.

Have had to do some rearranging, complete some unfinished wiring, and redo some dust collection piping, but I am getting close.
The lathe only came with a 15 inch tool rest so thought I needed some others.
Will give the paint a couple days to harden and by then the woodslicer blade will be here. Should be all set to cut out a bottle stopper blank and put things to the test!

Leo Van Der Loo
09-12-2010, 12:23 AM
Baxter what can I say, but..........

Congratulations you are sooooooo deeeeeeep now you'll never get out :eek: :p

David E Keller
09-12-2010, 12:28 AM
Good grief, man, that's the best gloat I've ever seen. You had me at coring system and then just kept on going. I think you'll love the lathe, and I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions of the coring system. Leo's right... you definitely suck!:D

gary Zimmel
09-12-2010, 12:34 AM
That is one SWEET gloat.....
Or should I say the mother of all gloats...
Congrats Baxter. You got to love it when new toys come home

Ray Bell
09-12-2010, 3:37 AM
Very, very nice!

William Hutchinson
09-12-2010, 5:05 AM
Great score, even better to know that they will be put to good use.

It's the code of the vortex, for every 100 in- one has to leave and sacrifice their tools at ridiculously low prices; thus attacking more disciples.

John Keeton
09-12-2010, 7:21 AM
Baxter, I don't even have the hots for a new lathe and I would have jumped all over that!!! Fantastic score!! Heck, multiple scores!!

Trouble is - now the forests up there are in real trouble!! You have been pretty agressive with the wood harvesting to this point - I see much BIGGER things in your future! And, they ain't bottlestoppers!:rolleyes:

Bernie Weishapl
09-12-2010, 7:47 AM
Holy cow Baxter that is the mother lode. Congrats on some mighty fine tools.

Tony De Masi
09-12-2010, 8:32 AM
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!! Now that's one heck of a score there Baxter. Congrats.

Jack Mincey
09-12-2010, 8:37 AM
I think Leo put it best. What a score indeed!!!!
Happy Turning,
Jack

Nate Davey
09-12-2010, 9:06 AM
I don't see the Siren????? Congrats on a great haul.

Robert McGowen
09-12-2010, 9:07 AM
Congrats, Baxter! Looks like you will be rearranging for a while.

Ken Glass
09-12-2010, 9:17 AM
Baxter,
What can one say about such a marvelous score! You do Indeed, Suck!

Thom Sturgill
09-12-2010, 9:29 AM
Baxter, I can only agree with the other posters, the suckage here is enormous.

Joshua Dinerstein
09-12-2010, 9:55 AM
That is truly incredible! Well done!

I gotta start watching Craig's list! :)

Joshua

Jake Helmboldt
09-12-2010, 10:00 AM
I knew it was only a matter of time before Baxter went off the deep end. He is a "Maniac" after all. He kept resisting those Toolnut sales and that is what happens. All in!

Nice score!

Maybe when I'm in NH/ME in November I'll do the same. Getting it on the airplane will be a problem though.:confused:

Steve Schlumpf
09-12-2010, 10:02 AM
WOW!!! Christmas came early at your house this year! Congrats on all your new tools! Looks like you will be set for a week or so!

Looking forward to seeing what you turn on your new lathe! Have fun!

Alan Trout
09-12-2010, 10:03 AM
Baxter,

That is a great deal. Congratulations and have fun.

Alan

George Guadiane
09-12-2010, 10:41 AM
I was in Maine a couple of weeks ago:confused: I look on Craig's list:(

Congratulations on a great gloat (but you DO SUCK!:cool:)

Curt Fuller
09-12-2010, 10:54 AM
Baxter, I had the exact same thing happen to me!:D:D:D Then I woke up when the alarm clock said it was time to go to work.:(:(:(

That's about the most amazing score I've seen in a while!

Paul Douglass
09-12-2010, 11:20 AM
Holly Molly! Score of the year for sure! Do we have a YOU SUCK trophy?

bob svoboda
09-12-2010, 11:30 AM
That looks a lot like my lathe. Wait a minute, that looks a lot like my bandsaw. I gotta go check my shop:D A lot of nice gloats there Baxter...congratulations.

Pete Jordan
09-12-2010, 12:44 PM
You have gotta be kiddin me!!!!

I have that bandsaw. You will like it a lot.

Allen Neighbors
09-12-2010, 1:28 PM
A free lathe!!!! Wow!!! How lucky can you get????!!!! Oh. It's not mayo? Oh, well, I guess sometimes one has to just make do...... :D:D:D
Great score, Baxter!!! Way to go!!

David DeCristoforo
09-12-2010, 1:28 PM
Bummer... you got totally ripped off...

Baxter Smith
09-12-2010, 6:53 PM
Wow! Thanks for all the supportive comments! Though come to think of it, I don't seem to remember a post where someone thought too much money was spent on turning stuff!

Congratulations you are sooooooo deeeeeeep now you'll never get out :eek: :p
Leo, you may be right!:D

I think you'll love the lathe, and I'm looking forward to hearing your impressions of the coring system.
David, I will let you know what I think once I try it out. I ordered the little jig from Oneway to sharpen the cutters. They are in good shape but I wanted to keep them that way and give the system its best shot!

It's the code of the vortex, for every 100 in- one has to leave and sacrifice their tools at ridiculously low prices; thus attacking more disciples.
William, I asked the gentleman if he was getting out of the turning business. He said no, he was moving to Southern California and had a Vicmarc out there. I don't know anything about the model #'s of those (other than they are top of the line)so asked him about the swing. 24". He was a fascinating person. Wood turner, artist, and even showed me some pictures in Life magazine he had taken back in the 60's. Said he had written some articles as well. I could have talked with him for a lot longer than the two hours I was there but he had a lot to do getting ready for the move. Had owned the house in Southern California for 25 years but had just rented it out till now.

Baxter, I don't even have the hots for a new lathe and I would have jumped all over that!!! Fantastic score!! Heck, multiple scores!!

I didn't have the hots either John, was just considering. Since I seem to turn mostly wood I have recently cut, I could see the advantages of more mass, a wider footprint, more swing, more torque, an rpm that goes to zero, a sliding headstock, a higher spindle height, ability to core, etc. I think I have covered most of them!:)

That is truly incredible! Well done!

I gotta start watching Craig's list! :)

Joshua
Josh, If you are in no hurry for anything in particular you can do well. I may go for months at a time without finding anything then... On the trip back with my lathe, I was telling myself no more CL purchases for awhile. But when a good tool is at about 30% of new I can't resist.;)

Maybe when I'm in NH/ME in November I'll do the same. Getting it on the airplane will be a problem though.:confused:
Thanks Jake, there is a guy in NH who has a oneway listed that you could drool over. Out of my price range.

I have that bandsaw. You will like it a lot.
Thanks Pete, I hope to!

A free lathe!!!! Wow!!! How lucky can you get????!!!! Oh. It's not mayo? Oh, well, I guess sometimes one has to just make do...... :D:D:D
Great score, Baxter!!! Way to go!!
I know its not mayo but one can't have everything. The primer I used on the tool rests was white so I considered making them mayo, but black was what I had in the paint cabinet, and like they say, black goes with everything!

I was in Maine a couple of weeks ago:confused: I look on Craig's list:(

Congratulations on a great gloat (but you DO SUCK!:cool:)
George, the evening before I went to pick up the lathe, there was a 3520B listed near Bar Harbor. Only 3 years old and looked immaculate. Almost made me have second thoughts, but it was a thousand dollars more with a lot fewer additional toys. The add had been removed by the time I got back.

Thanks again for all the comments.:)

James Roberts
09-12-2010, 6:59 PM
Baxter, you have raised the bar for those of us who truly want to be told that we suck! Seriously nice gloat.

Randy Gazda
09-12-2010, 7:29 PM
Way to go Baxter, you have set the bar high for the next gloater!