PDA

View Full Version : Any lawn tractor experts around here?

Matt Ranum
09-12-2010, 12:09 AM
My elderly father passed away a few months ago and we are now starting to look at moving some things that my Mother now has that she will never use, like their boat, camper, etc. This includes their lawn mower. The wife and I figured on buying it from her since ours is pretty well on its last legs, the problem is coming up with a price that the family can agree with. Its a John Deere LT166 with a 38" deck. My Dad bought it used about 10-12 years ago and paid about $1200 for it then.

Doing research online I've found prices from $600(private party) all the way to $2000(dealer).:confused: Its a nice machine but has its share of scrapes and scratches and a cracked piece of plastic on the front so it shows its age, but mechanically it seems fine. We live next door and use it for taking care of her yard regularly.

Anyone got any ideas? Estate property can be a pretty touchy subject, and I'm pretty new to it.

Joe Pelonio
09-12-2010, 12:13 AM
If it helps, my parents bough a Sears the same age with 40" deck for $600 3-4 years ago.

My best advice though, when it comes to family discussing prices for buying estate items, is make an offer, and if the executor won't go for it then buy somewhere else. Not worth the long, even lifetime grudges than can result. Good luck.

Mitchell Andrus
09-12-2010, 6:39 AM
1/3 the cost of a new one seems fair, assuming it runs pretty well.

I bought a used rider, 48" deck for $600.00 from a dealer last year just to tide me over til I got into the house full time. I'll be lucky to get that n a private sale.

David Christopher
09-12-2010, 8:37 AM
if you live next door, and use it to take care of her yard...why would you pay for it ?:confused:

Don Alexander
09-12-2010, 11:40 AM
+1 on that last question

Matt Ranum
09-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Just seems like the right thing to do, thats all.

Jim Pletcher
09-12-2010, 12:31 PM
I agree with the 1/3 cost comment.
Last spring I wanted to trade my LT166 (in good shape) on a new John Deere, the dealer oferred me $100 on the trade.
I still have the 166, and haven't been back to that dealer since.

Ron Jones near Indy
09-12-2010, 2:50 PM
I suggest you mow for your mother and take possession of the mower. Maintenance and repair costs are yours. You should use it to mow both lawns. I have seen this arrangement work several times. It seems fair to me. Do you have siblings/relatives who live close and want to do her mowing? That could be a conflict I guess. But by being next door you would most likely do both lawns at the same time, and that just makes sense.

Jeff Monson
09-12-2010, 4:59 PM
LT166 is a nice machine, is it a hydro or gear drive? A hydro 166 would be worth $1000.00 all day as long as it is nice, a gear drive would be less. Estates are very touchy as you stated, always worrying about stepping on someones toes. I'd see if there is intrest from any other family members, if not, offer them what is fair.

Matt Ranum
09-12-2010, 9:55 PM
Thanks for the thoughts guys, nice to get some "outside" input sometimes. I'll have to ask if anyone else is interested in it but I don't think as the other 2 siblings are pretty well equipped in that department.

Lee Schierer
09-13-2010, 8:57 AM
Let me see if I understand this. The lawn mower was purchased used 10-12 years ago for 1200. It was used presumably for the past 10-12 years so it is at least 12 years old. If you figure 10% depreciation each year then the mower is only worth about $300 now assuming it is not more than 13 years old.

If you were driving down the road and spotted it sitting by the curb with a for sale sign for $500 what would you offer the seller for a 13+ year old mower.?

I agree with the others that suggested you take the mower to your house and agree to cut your mothers lawn as long as she owns the house in return for the use and ownership of the mower. You of course would be responsible for all repairs to the mower from this point forward.

lawrence dosson
09-14-2010, 8:19 PM
If you want a real value just google tractor house and when you find it click john deere under 40 h/p scroll down to the alphabet part LT166 model there are about a dozen LT116 on there now for sale buy dealers and induviduals from 900 or so up to double that
find one in the same condition and year thats what its worth