PDA

View Full Version : No Pictures - but, it happened

Paul Douglass
09-11-2010, 10:19 PM
I can't take pictures because my wife is in Hawaii and took my camera with her. When she returns I will post pictures. But I went crazy last Tuesday and ordered a Delta 46-460 lathe. It arrived yesterday. I mounted it on a cabinet and turned on it today. I'm a very happy camper so far. What a nice little lathe. I've been turning on a Nova 1624 and I have never been totally satisfied with it. It has more run out than I can be happy with. I replaced the belt and no improvement. I think it need new bearing. Shouldn't because it is only a couple years old and I'm not a heavy user. Anyway, I read all the reviews I could find on the Delta and it sounded like a great lathe. It is. I'll keep the Nova for some time just in case I decide I want to turn something big. Anyway, I like the new lathe.

Yep I have about 10 day to think up a reason to tell my wife why I needed a new lathe:o Or I can hope she doesn't notice when she get here.

John Keeton
09-11-2010, 10:32 PM
Paul, on faith that you will ultimately post a pic......CONGRATS!! I love mine, and I am sure you will yours as well.

David E Keller
09-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Sounds like you're a happy camper... At least until your wife finds out!:eek::D

Karl Card
09-11-2010, 10:44 PM
dun, dun , dun , dun..... wait till the wife gets home......

congrats anyway. From what I have read I really think id love that delta lathe too.

Keith Westfall
09-12-2010, 12:24 AM
If she tells you that you have to dump it cheap, just holler...!

Matt Ranum
09-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Maybe its just me but I think if the Mrs can spring for a trip to Hawaii and leave the hubby home, then he should be able to spring for a little vacation of his own with a new Delta lathe.;)

:rolleyes:

But then again I've only been married for 5 years too.:p Spent most of my life as a bachelor until someone decided I needed a new decorator.:D

Jim C Bradley
09-12-2010, 1:01 AM
Hi,

I love my Delta 46-460. I have an older Delta lathe that is for sale. If the "time god" had not given me a Murphy prod I would still be using it. I purchased the new lathe because I really wanted variable speed.

AFTER purchasing the new lathe I saw a chapter on a DVD on how to make your lathe variable speed for just a few dollars. The method is fabulous. It involves a bit of flexable cable, a hinge and two or three pulleys. And, of course, some time and labor. If I had seen this first I would not have purchased the new lathe and would be seven or eight hundred dollars richer.

If you would like to buy a used, though like new, Delta lathe, let me know so I can recoup some of the dollars Murphy's law made me spend. (I'm not too sure that last sentance is proper USA English.)

Enjoy,

Jim

Ray Bell
09-12-2010, 3:34 AM
"Maybe its just me but I think if the Mrs can spring for a trip to Hawaii and leave the hubby home, then he should be able to spring for a little vacation of his own with a new Delta lathe".

Hummm, since my wife is with Paul's wife on this vacation, maybe I should order one... Congrats Paul, hopefully I will get out to see this sometime next week.

William Hutchinson
09-12-2010, 6:18 AM
Paul, let me get the facts straight. Wife across the ocean in Hawaii spending a bunch of these, http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/th_100_dollar_bill.jpg (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/100_dollar_bill.jpg)

Your home alone babysitting your two year old Nova and in a crazed moment you ordered another lathe for a bunch of these, http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/th_100_dollar_bill.jpg (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/100_dollar_bill.jpg)

You obviously know the 'no photo- didn't happen' rule and would have us to believe that you own only one camera or couldn't buy another with a measly,http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/th_twenty-20-dollar-bill.jpg (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/twenty-20-dollar-bill.jpg)

Naw, it didn't happen. I'm sorry your wife made you stay home and clean the house. Your revenge fantasy will evaporate once she gets home and ties a knot in your tail for not washing the windows and polishing the knobs.:D

Alan Trout
09-12-2010, 10:21 AM
Paul congratulations on the new lathe. I have turned on the little delta and it is a great little lathe.

I might make a suggestion as you do have a 5 year warranty on the Nova. Call Tim Geist at 304-295-8166 tell him your problems. He will probably have you send in the headstock less motor. I have always found Tim to be very responsive to any questions and very willing to help. Be sure to call him early. After all you have a backup lathe now so you can keep turning while any needed repairs are done.

Good Luck

Alan

Ken Glass
09-12-2010, 10:44 AM
Paul,

Mr. Hutchinson gave it to you pretty good, and although, I agree with him, I will give you a temporary "Atta Boy" and will make it permanent when you are forthcoming with suitable pictures to prove it happened, as alleged. Way to go Paul. (I caved)

ron hossack
09-12-2010, 10:45 AM
OK Mr Delta ... I have only two or three things to ask ...

Can I turn you an urn?

Can you leave me the Nova in a new short term will?

"IF" you felt the urge to spend some $$$ while the wife is in the Islands working on her tan why in the world didn't you also get a cheap little 'point and shoot' camera so I wouldn't have to post this ...

http://s1.bild.me/bilder/290710/8891552NoPicsDidn__tHappen.gif

Steve Schlumpf
09-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Congrats Paul! Looking forward to seeing the photos!

Paul Douglass
09-12-2010, 11:00 AM
Okay you are all funny, but only Ray Bell really knows the trouble I'm in! He knows my wife! This is probably the bravest thing I have done in 43 years of captivity! But there is a method. This lathe is small enough and light enough I can hide it in the garage attic before she gets home and only bring it out when she leaves....

Ron what is a short term will? Does that mean I well only be dead for a short time?

ron hossack
09-12-2010, 11:32 AM
Okay you are all funny, but only Ray Bell really knows the trouble I'm in! He knows my wife! This is probably the bravest thing I have done in 43 years of captivity! But there is a method. This lathe is small enough and light enough I can hide it in the garage attic before she gets home and only bring it out when she leaves....
Are you telling us she doesn't look at the credit card receipts??? My wife looks at everything. One of the reasons when I sell a gun (another one off to list today) I encourage them to use paypal ... she doesn't know how to check that account let alone log on to a computer :D

Ron what is a short term will? Does that mean I well only be dead for a short time?
No ... hurry up and write it and send me a copy ... s

BTW ... send me a link to some of your cigar box things ... a friend wants to see them.

Allen Neighbors
09-12-2010, 1:59 PM
Paul. What a brave man you are!! Someone we can all admire!! At least, 'til Mama gets home.... :D
Congrats on the new lathe!! And I second the suggestion of Alan Trout. Tim is a great guy!

david hines
09-12-2010, 2:24 PM
1 Go to paint store match old tool paint to new tool
2 paint new tool same as old tool
3 throw away box-at a third party location
3A hide old tool
4 claim new tool is old tool
5 play dumb

Paul Douglass
09-12-2010, 2:54 PM
1 Go to paint store match old tool paint to new tool
2 paint new tool same as old tool
3 throw away box-at a third party location
3A hide old tool
4 claim new tool is old tool
5 play dumb

All great suggestions! Sounds like you have been there done that!?

Not hard for me to play dumb, comes naturally.

Ray Bell
09-12-2010, 4:15 PM
[QUOTE=Paul Douglass;1511295]Okay you are all funny, but only Ray Bell really knows the trouble I'm in! He knows my wife! This is probably the bravest thing I have done in 43 years of captivity! But there is a method. This lathe is small enough and light enough I can hide it in the garage attic before she gets home and only bring it out when she leaves....

Yep, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes when they return:eek: I am not as brave as you. I just ordered a bunch of consumables, sanding disks, carbide cutters, and a couple of other small things. I figure Connie will never notice these. But a LATHE....

William Hutchinson
09-12-2010, 5:33 PM
[QUOTE=Paul Douglass;1511295]Yep, I wouldn't want to be in your shoes when they return:eek: I am not as brave as you.

I don't think he will be needing his shoes when Mrs. Molokai returns.....

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/misery.jpg

Ray Bell
09-12-2010, 5:48 PM
[QUOTE=Ray Bell;1511526]

I don't think he will be needing his shoes when Mrs. Molokai returns.....

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/misery.jpg

Very funny Willian:p

Kirk Miller
09-12-2010, 6:41 PM
Your going about this the wrong way.......

Send the Nova in for repairs

Next begin calling your wife about every 1/2 hour to explain how much you miss her.

When she question the calls, tell her all that mushy stuff about how she is the love of your life. Then continue the calls

When she becomes irritated enough to tell you to find something else to do tell her once again how much you miss her, and then mention sending in "your olny other love" aka the Nova lathe in for repairs. Mention that if it was around, that you would have something to get you thropugh the lonely periods.

She has to mention something about replacing it with a back up for times like this..............Now you have it made. She has just allowed you to be a 2 lathe family.....And now my friend you pretty much have permission to upgrade your lates any time she is away on vacation.

By the way, I am 45 and have never been married. Some people question my efforts in the Marriage Counselor Field.........lol

James Roberts
09-12-2010, 7:48 PM
He may not have enough money for another camera if he is planning on meeting her at the airport with jewelry and flowers. And a BIG bottle of liquor from the duty free store.

Paul Douglass
09-22-2010, 9:30 AM
OKAY, camera is back, here is the proof. As for the wife she hasn't even noticed yet, maybe it will be awhile and when she finally notices the new lathe, I'll say, "but honey, I've had that for a long time"

Jim Underwood
09-22-2010, 9:48 AM
AFTER purchasing the new lathe I saw a chapter on a DVD on how to make your lathe variable speed for just a few dollars. The method is fabulous. It involves a bit of flexable cable, a hinge and two or three pulleys. And, of course, some time and labor. If I had seen this first I would not have purchased the new lathe and would be seven or eight hundred dollars richer.

I don't need to know how to get out of trouble with the wife. :p

I just wanna know how you make a variable speed with flexible cable, a hinge and two or three pulleys....:confused:

Bernie Weishapl
09-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Congrats Paul on a nice lathe.

Yea she will notice when the CC bill comes in or she checks the bank statement. I have been married 43 yrs. You should know and I can tell you from experience nothing, I mean nothing gets by them. Somehow they know all the tricks.:eek::D:rolleyes:;) Been there done that.:mad:

Allen Neighbors
09-22-2010, 1:58 PM
As for the wife she hasn't even noticed yet,
You've gotta be kidding, right?:D:confused::D;)