PDA

View Full Version : The poll no one asked for!

Mark Singer
12-15-2004, 11:46 AM
With New Years resolutions around the corner as well as lots of food and goodies to eat,,,,I though it would be an appropriate time to ask the very popular question: What kind of exercise progam are you on? My daughter got me started about 3 years ago and I must say...I feel great and actually enjoy it! I go to the gym 3 times a week for about an hour.

Donnie Raines
12-15-2004, 12:05 PM
Man this is tuff! My wife and I, at one point in our lives, would go for long bike rides and work out at the gym...jog you name it. Ever since I have been pushing pens for a living I have fallen apart. My wife and I now go down to the basement and walk in circles...and the kids chase us thinking it is a game. I started lifting some weights a few weeks back and boy am I hurting. In fact...I think I tore my peck muscle the other night...and I did'nt even know I still had a peck muscle..... :rolleyes:

Glenn Clabo
12-15-2004, 12:21 PM
Not on the list...I've started using a treadmill at home 4-5 times a week...30-60 minute walk/jog. Too much work melts away with the sweat...and the BP has dropped! Only problem is it makes me thirstier and beer isn't just food ya know.

Betsy Yocum
12-15-2004, 1:37 PM
Yard work and 3-5 miles a night on a recumbent bike. The bike does have several programs that allows me to change the difficulty of the ride - which is nice. I've got really bad knees and I can't jog anymore which I miss very much.

Betsy

Roger Fitzsimonds
12-15-2004, 2:08 PM
I go to the gym 5 days a week. up at 0430 and at work by 7:00 at the latest. I walk/jog 30 minutes on treadmill. then work the weight machines. I use to swin for an hour but I am seeing more results with this method than the swimming.

Tony Sade
12-15-2004, 2:27 PM
I use a Schwinn Airdyne bike 5-6 times a week for 45 minutes a session. In between broken collar bone (rollerblading accident) knee surgery (deteriorated cartilege) broken wrist (slip and fall in the driveway) and assorted other signs of gross physical deterioration (getting old sure sux) I also "lift" with a combination weight machine 3 times a week. Both exercize routines take place in front of a TV as I find the process boring beyond belief. I also substitute a NordicTrac cross country ski machine for the bike on occasion, for a bit of variety.

I can't say that I really feel better when I exercize-no real noticeable endorphin rush or anything like that, but after years of this kind of routine, I've found that I don't like how I feel when I don't work out. (I also need a couterbalance to my long-term chocolate chip cookie addiction.) I've got another motivation worth mentioning. My father had his fourth and final heart attack at age 48 and fatal coronary artery disease runs heavily on his side of the family. I'm 52. Nuff said. Interesting poll, Mark.

Dave Brandt
12-15-2004, 3:03 PM
I get to work at 6 a.m. so I can abuse my lunch hour. Head over to my club almost every weekday and try and get a game or two of racquetball in. I go at lunch time 'cuz it wakes me up. If I can't get a game, I'll work out, mostly on machines (like Nautilus).

Kevin Beck
12-15-2004, 3:58 PM
I work out very hard though I have slacked off during the last 3 - 4 months. I lift weights 2 -- 3 times per week and play basketball 3 - 4 times per week for at least an hour. I would play basketball all day long if my knees would tolerate it. I also walk 4 - 5 days per week with the LOML.

I lost 78 pounds about 7 years ago (332.5 to 254.5) and didn't do any exercise while doing so. I was literally falling apart from lack of muscle mass and decided to get myself back into shape (other than round).

I've been lifting regularly for 6 years now and really miss it when I can't go for some reason. It sure is hard now compared to when I was 19 - 20 but I really enjoy it anyway. I reached my long-term goal of benching 300 pounds about a year ago but it sure is hard to maintain my strength at that level.

I've had the normal "old guy" nagging injuries: rotator cuff tendonitis, partially torn achilles tendon, tendonitis in my elbows and knees, etc.

Kevin

Keith Hall
12-15-2004, 4:37 PM
Mark, Funny you should ask that question. As a sales associate on my feet all of the time at probably the most hated tool supplier/department store in the U. S., the bad knees have prevented me from most forms of exercise. When I get home at night, I'm too tired to do much physical exertion. I'm overweight and have no muscle tone. That came home to bite me in the butt when I had a total knee replacement 6 week ago. Since that time I have lost about 28 lbs and feel better. I had no appetite the first two weeks, and I am controlling the urge to gain the weight back. Therapy goes well EXCEPT for the last 5 minutes when the severe stretching of the knee takes place. I have been given a program to use later to get me in shape for the next knee replacement. This old dog will have to learn a few new tricks. It's a shame I procrastinated for so many years to take these steps. Of course, I blame it on the LOML as she is a fantastic cook. Keith

Dennis Peacock
12-15-2004, 6:33 PM
I get all kinds of exercise at work....

Jumping to conclusions.
Flying off the handle.
Twisting ears.
Stomping from one meeting to another.
Climbing the corporate ladder.
Kicking people for stupid mistakes.

So there you have it. :D :p :rolleyes:

Jim Stastny
12-15-2004, 7:47 PM
I get on the old Nordic Track an average of at least 3x a week for 30+ minutes a time.

Dan Mages
12-15-2004, 9:08 PM
I am lucky to work 2.25 miles from work. When the weather is nice, I walk every day. Right now I am on my winter shutdown. I will be back at it in 3 months.

Dan

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-16-2004, 5:50 AM
There are 29 steps to the second floor computer room here at work...and I go up and down them at least five times, five nights a week. Other than bending over to shut off machines :o , that's about it. Never was much for exercise unless you count bowling. :rolleyes: At 44, it's beginning to show. :(

Jim Becker
12-16-2004, 4:42 PM
LOL! 'Can't really answer this one honestly without breaking the rules... :D

Seriously, just a few days ago I stopped at the health club just up the street in anticipation of becoming more proactive on the exercise idea. Sheesh! They are closing down next month and suggested that I should visit their sister location. Unfortunately, that's over ten miles away and I can't deal with the travel time for that. I suppose I'll come up with plan B one of these days, but in the mean time...see the first sentence of my reply... :)

Stefan Antwarg
12-16-2004, 5:36 PM
When I actually do regular exercise, I use my recumbent stationary bike. Very good workout, and easy on the back.

Stefan

Paul B. Cresti
12-19-2004, 8:10 AM
Mark,
I no longer have time for weight training and have been very active all my life. I now cycle (15- 25 miles a ride) as often as possible. Sometimes it is 7 days a week sometimes as little as 2. It really depends on my schedule and weather. The only time left for me is just as the sun is rising to when I walk my daughter to the bus stop.

Jason Roehl
12-20-2004, 8:26 AM
Work is my exercise--my career as a self-employed painter is quite often very physically demanding, though I can tell it falls short in the cardiovascular department. I've been meaning to get back to running or cycling for several years now... As for stats, I'm 6'0", 165(sans robes), BP is 110/52, total cholesterol is somewhere around 130, resting heartrate around 55. However, my penchant for strong, dark beer has probably been one of the main causes for an increase in the ol' waistline in recent years.

So I guess my vote is "vigorous activity." (Ever paint a 4-BR apartment with an 18" roller in 45 minutes? :D )