PDA

View Full Version : Glueing up Ipe

Karl Brogger
09-11-2010, 9:42 PM
What should a person use for glueing up iron wood? I may have to make some treads for an exterior staircase and I have zero experience with the material.

Scott Schwake
09-12-2010, 4:26 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=104185

FWW 192 has some info

Peter Quinn
09-12-2010, 8:10 PM
Karl, we usually use titebond III or west systems epoxy on Ipe treads. Keep in mind the clamp time is pretty much over night when using titebond, as the ipe won't wick moisture to kick the glue so it takes longer to kick and set. 8 hours at a minimum. And they do tend to creep a bit at the glue line until fully cured. so I'd give it 3 days before final sanding. It takes seems to take the full 78 hour cure time on the hard stuff. Oh, and they like a lot of clamping pressure, so 5 or 6 pipe clamps on 42 inches is not unreasonable.

Jim King
09-12-2010, 9:54 PM
I have glued up a lot of Ipe as it is quite common here using regular white carpenters glue. Ipe leaves South America generally for the outide decking market and I have never seen an order for Kiln Dried decking. If the Ipe is kiln dried it will glue well.

Dan Hintz
09-13-2010, 6:34 AM
Good Lord, look at the shine on that thing! Nice piece, Jim...

Matt Armstrong
09-13-2010, 2:18 PM
all my dust collector hoses are stained yellow from cutting ipe. Owned.

Greg Portland
09-13-2010, 2:59 PM
I may have to make some treads for an exterior staircase and I have zero experience with the material.I've used both epoxy and poly glue with exterior ipe projects and have not had any problems. However, I also screwed the wood together. IMO, recessed screws for the treads + plugs (sanded flush) would look very nice.

One other issue I've had is that moss + very dense wood (ipe, maple, etc.) results in a -VERY- slippery surface. Consider grooves or some other anti-skid solution on your stair treads.