PDA

View Full Version : Another experiment

Matt Ranum
09-11-2010, 8:50 PM
Gotta say I have a new found respect for anyone that can turn finials. Especially small ones! This is my first try at an ornament, and a first for anything segmented, and a first for trying anything with a finial. After breaking 3 at the very narrow final moments, I decided it wasn't my time for accomplishing the fine details on such a small scale.

So I decided to finish on a high note with a very plain stick and go find a cocktail. :D Tomorrow is another day.:)

David E Keller
09-11-2010, 8:59 PM
Hang in there... You'll get the hang of it.

Your cocktail plan sounds like a winner.

Curt Fuller
09-11-2010, 9:51 PM
Looks pretty darned good for a first try. For the finials just remember to work from the right (tailstock end) to the left, cutting and sanding to finished size while you still have some wood to support it.

Matt Ranum
09-11-2010, 9:57 PM
Looks pretty darned good for a first try. For the finials just remember to work from the right (tailstock end) to the left, cutting and sanding to finished size while you still have some wood to support it.

I did remember to do that...........after the first one broke.:p:D

Baxter Smith
09-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Good luck on the next one. You will get it!

John Keeton
09-12-2010, 7:46 AM
Matt, you got the basics - they all start with a long piece of wood!! Curt has given some good advice, and walnut may not be the best wood to use, but it does turn nicely. You should be able to get some pretty good detail with it after a few trys. Don't give up!!

Bernie Weishapl
09-12-2010, 7:49 AM
You have a great start and now just need to refine them.

Matt Ranum
09-12-2010, 8:19 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I think upon reflection most of my trouble may have been that my tools weren't sharp enough. Gonna work on that before I try anymore.

Do you guys hone your tools for this type of turning or straight off the grinder usually good enough?

Curt Fuller
09-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I think upon reflection most of my trouble may have been that my tools weren't sharp enough. Gonna work on that before I try anymore.

Do you guys hone your tools for this type of turning or straight off the grinder usually good enough?
Matt, I've never honed a tool so I can't speak for the difference it makes. But sharp tools are very important on a small spindle. You need the tool to cut effortlessly. If you have to push, you're going to break it. Also try using your fingers as a steady rest. I rest the tool on the tool rest, guide it with my thumb, and wrap my fingers around the back of the spindle to offset any pressure from the tool.

Steve Schlumpf
09-12-2010, 12:34 PM
Like anything in turning - it comes with time! Be sure to hang onto this '1st' ornament and you will be amazed at the changes you make with lots of practice!

Tom Sherman
09-12-2010, 1:27 PM
I don't think this looks bad at all, don't think it is written down anywhere that an icicle or finial has to be ornate. We all got to start somewhere. Nice job.