PDA

View Full Version : Woodline Router Bits??

Charlie Kocourek
09-11-2010, 6:22 PM
OK, I think I found the most inexpensive router bits on the market. I am looking at a raised panel set with back-cutter that includes the rail and stile cutters for $69.

I know "If it looks too good to be true...", but maybe!

What is your experience with Woodline router bits?

Thanks, Charlie

Walter Plummer
09-11-2010, 8:55 PM
Hello Charlie.I have not used any of their door sets, but I am very happy with the Woodline bits I have purchased.

ed vitanovec
09-11-2010, 10:04 PM
I have been using Woodline Router bits and Shaper cutters for about 10 years now. I have been really happy with the bits and cutters that I have bought. I'm a home hobbiest and don't use these for production work but I have used them alot. The customer service has been great and shipping is really fast, usually get the package in about 2-3 working days. I would recommend them.

Regards!
Ed

glenn bradley
09-11-2010, 10:46 PM
Interesting. I am afraid I must report that I am yet to be pleased with a Woodline bit. The flush trim bit wasn't (flush that is). They quickly supplied a replacement but it was also poor. It is now in a sleeve marked "not flush" and I will find some use for it someday.

The slot cutter works OK but is more prone to tearout than the Whiteside and even the Rockler versions I have. The grind looks good. Bad geometry maybe?

The collet extender they sell works but is not auto-release in design and so is quite fussy. It is very low on vibration and is half the cost of CMT and others so, they've got that going for them in my experience.

Ed has been using them longer and has had better luck. I would value his opinion over mine. I may have just had a couple bad "draws". The folks are always very responsive and friendly when you have to call them.

mreza Salav
09-11-2010, 11:04 PM
I have had their panel raiser and rail/stile bits and a few other profiles. The panel set I have used on maybe a dozen or so panels/projects and are good for the price I paid for them. So were the few other special profile bits I got (but again I needed them only a few times and for the $20 or so I paid for them I think they did good).

scott spencer
09-12-2010, 5:26 AM
Decent imports value bits, similar to MLCS, Woodcraft (Woodriver), Grizzly green, and others. I wouldn't pay a premium for them. $70 (plus s/h I assume) is pushing the envelope for "bargain" cutters IMO, I think I'd upgrade to a premium bit if I were going to spend that much on a Woodline caliber bit.

Toolsmarts, Amazon, Tyler Tool, Texas Tool Traders, and others have the Freud (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=raised+panel+bits&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=11594628640855146829&ei=BZqMTO21OoL6lwee--lh&sa=X&oi=product_catalog_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CC8Q8wIwBA#) raised panel bit with the 2+2 technology for ~ $80 shipped, then you can add a the rail and stile bits from one of the names above.

Holbren (http://www.holbren.com/cmt-ogee-3_piece-raised_panel-set.html) carries the CMT 3 pc set for ~ $105 shipped with "SMC10" discount code.

Infinity (http://www.infinitytools.com/Cabinet-Makers-Ogee-Combo/productinfo/00-100/) has a premium 3pc set for ~ $120 shipped with "SUMMER10" discount code.

Charlie Kocourek
09-12-2010, 2:03 PM
Thanks for all the information!

The CMT and Infinity sets are pretty good deals. I could not find a CMT set with a back cutter at Holbren, so I decided on the Infinity set. But, when I went to purchase it I got a message that there is a problem with their security settings. I don't need these bits immediately, so I sent them an email and hopefully they will fix it soon.

scott spencer
09-12-2010, 7:17 PM
I've never been less than thoroughly impressed with any Infinity products I've tried....hope the "security" issue is just a minor hiccup.

Charles Krieger
09-12-2010, 9:37 PM
I purchased the Woodline Cabinet Door bit set at a woodworking show about four years ago. I have used it to make only 15 doors and it seems to work well. I always use multiple passes to raises a panel, usually 3-5 with the last pass removing less than 1/32” of material. Initially the fit of the rail to stile was on the loose side. A thin shim added to the rail bit fixed that. For the price I am satisfied. My next set is likely to be a different profile and will most likely be Freud. I am gradually learning to pay a bit more for top quality. I have several Whiteside bits and each has performed exceptionally well as have the Freud bits and saw blades. I am impressed by Freud’s service but I have never had the opportunity to use either Woodline or Whiteside service so I can’t make a comparison.

Wayne Sutter
09-14-2010, 11:14 AM
I am the President of Woodline USA. I want to thank all of the members of Sawmill Creek for the feedback both positive and negative. Positive may make us all feel good but if we listen to critical feedback and try to get better every time then our products will improve. I have looked up the flush trim bit mentioned here and am sending another to Glenn. I measured it with a micrometer and it should preform well. It is the policy of Woodline that we will do what is required to satisfy our customers whenever possible. If we have an issue (as any company can and I assure you that all companies do) then I want to know about it. My personal email is Wayne@woodline.com and my cell number is 615-498-6234 Central time zone.

We have introduced our three wing technology series of cabinet door bits called Tristar bits and they are great bits. We have invested in quality and improvement and will continue to do so. Thank you for giving us the opportunity and I hope that anyone that has any issue will feel free to contact me directly and allow me to try to resolve it.

Dave Gaul
09-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Sounds like another "Shiraz" on the 'Creek maybe??

I love bargains, bank for my buck, and a supplier/manufacturer that stands behind their product. I will try a woodline product at least once!

Jim Eller
09-14-2010, 7:34 PM
I am the President of Woodline USA. I want to thank all of the members of Sawmill Creek for the feedback both positive and negative. Positive may make us all feel good but if we listen to critical feedback and try to get better every time then our products will improve. I have looked up the flush trim bit mentioned here and am sending another to Glenn. I measured it with a micrometer and it should preform well. It is the policy of Woodline that we will do what is required to satisfy our customers whenever possible. If we have an issue (as any company can and I assure you that all companies do) then I want to know about it. My personal email is Wayne@woodline.com and my cell number is 615-498-6234 Central time zone.

We have introduced our three wing technology series of cabinet door bits called Tristar bits and they are great bits. We have invested in quality and improvement and will continue to do so. Thank you for giving us the opportunity and I hope that anyone that has any issue will feel free to contact me directly and allow me to try to resolve it.

Hard to beat that for service!

John McClanahan
09-14-2010, 9:21 PM
+1 for the customer service! I will definitely remember that when bit shopping.

John

Dave Gaul
09-15-2010, 7:57 AM
I was glancing through the latest copy of "WOOD" this morning, and noticed that in the "cove moulding on the router table" article they listed Woodline Cove Moulding bits...

David Weaver
09-15-2010, 8:42 AM
Watch amazon for the woodline bits. I got a door set a few years ago, for $35 shipped. I'm someone ashamed to admit I never used them and I sold them when I had a chance to blow a 25% off coupon at rockler on a freud door bit set with backcutter...

.. and then went to primarily hand tools shortly after that, so I haven't used them either. But I keep that set just in case the wife decides all of the sudden that she wants me to make a couple of cabinets and I don't feel like doing them by hand.

glenn bradley
09-16-2010, 8:50 PM
I have looked up the flush trim bit mentioned here and am sending another to Glenn.

Wayne you are a class act. I just got the bit, thank you very much. This just adds credence to what I was saying about the folks at Woodline being just as nice as you could ask for.

Charlie Kocourek
09-16-2010, 11:50 PM
With a posting directly from the president of the company I have to say that I am impressed! Thanks Wayne!

scott spencer
09-17-2010, 7:07 AM
Dear Wayne - I too am impressed with your personalized customer service, but my free bit hasn't arrived yet. :D ;)

>

John Carlo
09-17-2010, 9:54 PM
I bought the largest set they offer on sale at one of "The Woodworking Shows". What I got was a nice collection of good bits at a really great price. The case they come in is a bonus. I look at these bits as a resource for profiles I use occasionally but would not normaly pay premium prices for just to have in my collection. They are there when you need them.

Kevin Womer
09-18-2010, 2:04 PM

This is impressive. Makes me want to order from Woodline next time I need a bit.