PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Order

Bruce Page
09-11-2010, 5:38 PM
I’m pretty sure this is a scam. I’m getting 1 or 2 emails a week from this guy and wondering if anyone else is too. I can’t figure out his angle, any ideas?

BTW, my email is not “wyndscape@go.com”

Here’s the email:

Sent: Saturday, September 11, 2010 8:29 AM
To:.wyndscape@go.com
Subject: Urgent Order

Hello
This is Bob and I will like to order ( Cabinet Saw )Do get back to
me with the types and cost for the ones you do carry and let me know
if there is an extra cost when using visa or master Card.Kindly get
back to me with your name Are you the sales manager or the Owner?
Regards....
Bob Wilson

Jim McFarland
09-11-2010, 5:59 PM
Bruce, I did a Google of "stigma2g8" and email shows up on several "scammer" notices...here's excerpt from one of them:

This page is dedicated to listing the various names and e-mail details being used by alleged scammers who may try to solicit prepayment for the shipment of your goods....

Mitchell Andrus
09-11-2010, 6:10 PM
I've gotten these and sim. on both of my shopping cart websites. Rather than just ordering something, they request all kinds of special payment circumstances.

Jim Becker
09-11-2010, 7:11 PM
This is very much a scam...I get several a week and they generally reflect a different "tool" or "product" with identical text.

David G Baker
09-12-2010, 10:29 AM
I may have received them but if I don't know the party that is e-mailing me it goes in the trash unopened.

Jim Koepke
09-12-2010, 12:15 PM
This never ceases to amaze me. Back in the early 1980s people were pulling scams like this. A person in accounts payable told me back then it was common to get bills in the mail for small amounts for things like; services rendered, grounds keeping, miscellaneous furniture and building maintenance. For many companies, the cost was lower than the cost of hunting down the person who authorized the billing, so it was paid without question.

Now these same low lifes have computers and are still doing the same thing.

I also use multiple mail accounts and some are for all the junk, one is a little more lax and there is one that even some members of my family do not know about that those who know about it understand to only use for important situations. What is funny, it is an eddress I have had since before the internet was common in every home. I think I have only received one or two pieces of spam when a friends computer was compromised.

jtk

David G Baker
09-12-2010, 1:02 PM
Many large business fell for the scam. The company I worked for got caught several times before catching on. A bill would show up in accounting that was just small enough to remain below the radar and the accounting department would pay it without researching it. After falling for the scam several times someone actually did a follow up and found out that the product or service never took place. It changed company policy through out the company and affiliates.

Joe Pelonio
09-12-2010, 2:45 PM
The first warning sign is the free e-mail, second is the use of the word "kindly." Those are typical of scammers. A very helpful site that I use to spot scammers and spammers for moderating is this one, you should bookmark it for future reference:

http://www.stopforumspam.com/

I also report to them regularly.

You can also check the IP using Whois, if you can find it. If they are in Russia, China, or Nigeria, but claim to be in Nebraska, they are a scammer.

Dan Hintz
09-12-2010, 3:13 PM
Also using terms like "will like" instead of "would like"...

glenn bradley
09-12-2010, 5:54 PM
I would suggest stronger SPAM filtering. I hardly ever get this stuff anymore. I do get lots of offers for cheap Vicoden (Vicodan?) and so forth at work. They use Barracuda appliances which are either poor or poorly administered. Either is possible where I work. I just use the adaptive SPAM filtering in Thunderbird.

Dave Lehnert
09-12-2010, 5:57 PM
Scam we would get at work all the time was someone would call the office and say "We need a po number to process your toner order" Figuring someone ordered toner ,they game them the number. We would get toner in the mail but no one ordered it.

Lee Schierer
09-13-2010, 8:10 AM
I get email like that from time to time from places that claim they saw something on my website that I've never made and want to order several of them. If I don't have such an item on my web site, the email goes directly to trash and does not pass "Go".

Bryan Morgan
09-13-2010, 5:51 PM
View the full headers of the email. I bet its origination IP is someplace outside any "civilized" countries...