PDA

View Full Version : CURLY Ash Silver & Shell Cameo Box (long)

George Guadiane
09-11-2010, 5:17 PM
Every now and then, a plan comes together!
Actually, the original "found piece" I had intended to use was smaller and is "somewhere in the shop... It popped off when I was removing it from a snug fit - I was ready to glue it in.

I was looking for bottle stopper wood and stumbled across this gorgeous curly ash block, too big to use for bottle stopper but too beautiful to leave in the box, so, I brought it up to the barn (my "studio") and went to work on it (I'll get back to the bottle stoppers later:cool:)

I looked around in my antique stuff and found this late Victorian shell cameo, still in the frame. The pin back was missing so I had to decide - repair it or cut off the findings and sue it to decorate a turning... Guess which way I went?

The box is 3 1/8 inches in diameter by 4 3/4 inches tall. I sanded it to 800 with a little bit of Kukui nut oil and may add a finish later... The inside is dry and sanded to 400.
Points of interest: I took lots of views because the grain and curl lined up so well... There is no adjustment to the alignment from one view to the next, I just got that lucky.
I DID put the little bit of walnut sap wood in line with the grain medallion in the "front" of the piece. Oh, yeah, I added the walnut inset/collar so that I wouldn't lose much height between the top and bottom.

As Always, All Questions, Comments and Critiques Welcome.

David E Keller
09-11-2010, 5:56 PM
It's a beautiful little box, and you're right about the wood... Gorgeous! I like your idea using the walnut to preserve the grain flow from top to bottom. I'll be doing that on my next box... Thanks.

Sean Hughto
09-11-2010, 5:58 PM
Amazing curl! Sweet and elegant little box.

Pete Jordan
09-11-2010, 6:05 PM
Your plan sure can together!

That is amazing!

Nathan Hawkes
09-11-2010, 6:34 PM
Great job on the box! The wood is spectacular. Curly ash is one of my favorites! ;)

Allen Neighbors
09-11-2010, 7:14 PM
George, another special piece! Love the grain, the walnut insert, and the cameo!! Great mind, to come up with this combination!! Well done!!

charlie knighton
09-11-2010, 7:32 PM
very nice.....

Paul Douglass
09-11-2010, 8:42 PM
Oh my. The beautiful stuff just keeps coming! That is awesome.

Bernie Weishapl
09-11-2010, 9:45 PM
Wow that is a pretty box. Really curly wood.

Baxter Smith
09-11-2010, 10:43 PM
That was a great idea with a very pretty piece of wood. I can think of a lot of female family members who would love something like that!

Steve Schlumpf
09-12-2010, 10:59 AM
George - this sure is an impressive box - both in wood and the added cameo! Love all the curl! You should be very happy with this one! Thanks for sharing!

George Guadiane
09-12-2010, 3:02 PM
Thank you to everyone for your kind comments...
I forgot to mention that the tiny bead rim around the cameo was done with the smallest Nano beading tool.
I ALMOST used it to add a bead at the seam, but I'm really attracted to smooth lines on a form like this - any opposing thoughts?

David DeCristoforo
09-12-2010, 6:18 PM
"I ALMOST used it to add a bead at the seam, but I'm really attracted to smooth lines on a form like this - any opposing thoughts?"

Not from me! I love the way the grain flows from top to bottom and a bead would have disturbed that.

James Roberts
09-12-2010, 7:54 PM
Beautiful piece, I really like the curl in this wood. Neat idea to use the walnut so as to maintain the height and grain orientation. The cameo really sets the whole thing off. Great job.