PDA

View Full Version : New Bosch Dual-Bevel Glide Miter Saw

Robert Chapman
09-11-2010, 5:01 PM
Has anyone seen this new Bosch saw in the flesh? Model #GCM12SD. Savannah Toolhouse is taking advance orders for $799 but they don't give a delivery date. The Bosch website shows the saw. It has a new levered mechanism instead of rails like most sliders. Looks pretty interesting.

Brian Ross
09-11-2010, 7:42 PM
Has anyone seen this new Bosch saw in the flesh? Model #GCM12SD. Savannah Toolhouse is taking advance orders for $799 but they don't give a delivery date. The Bosch website shows the saw. It has a new levered mechanism instead of rails like most sliders. Looks pretty interesting.

they had one on display at IWF in Atlanta last month. Redmond Machinery was the dealer and IIRC they were asking more than $799. It has a very smooth action and seemed to have less deflection that than 2 sliders that I have.
Brian

Matt Day
09-11-2010, 7:53 PM
I'm in the market for a SCMS and have had my eye on the new Bosch, but man $799 is a lot of money. Almost might as well get the Festool one for that price.

Darl Bundren
09-11-2010, 8:34 PM
That saw looks sweet.

Ron Jones near Indy
09-11-2010, 8:36 PM
Is it possible the Bosch could be as good as or better than the Festool at less $?

Brian Ross
09-11-2010, 9:50 PM
Is it possible the Bosch could be as good as or better than the Festool at less $?

I wonder the same thing, Bosch is no slouch when it comes to anything.

Brian

Dan Karachio
09-11-2010, 10:23 PM
German vs German. It could get ugly.

$800 hurts, but for God's sake the $1300 for the Festool is agony. However, I used one and it is as absurdly good as it is absurdly priced. Can't these guys make a fantastic tool that when we hear the price we say, "Ouch, but I can live with it" vs, "Holy fricking___!"

I read quiet a bit about this saw tonight - it looks killer and very innovative. The new arm makes even the kapex old fashioned. This is all new. Also, the say dust collection is very good - 90%. The KK, Kapex Kiiller? Hmmm.

John A. Callaway
09-11-2010, 10:35 PM

I will have to stop in there when it comes in... they just re did the store not to long ago and they have one heck of a Bosch showroom... looks like something the factory came in and set up....If only they were a LN or Veritas dealer....I personally love the store as far as power tools go. They have ALOT of stuff crammed into this store...and it isn't a small store either...

Paul Snowden
09-11-2010, 11:13 PM
I wonder if I wait next year a 10'' version might be released for a few hundred cheaper.

Wes Grass
09-12-2010, 1:16 AM
IWF show special was $767 (or something like that, slightly under list) and included a free fold up roll around stand and an air nailer of some sort. It was tempting, but a bit hard to fit in my carry on bag.

So anyway, may be worth looking or waiting for some sort of special offer like that.

Brett Nelson
09-30-2010, 11:00 AM
IWF show special was $767 (or something like that, slightly under list) and included a free fold up roll around stand and an air nailer of some sort. It was tempting, but a bit hard to fit in my carry on bag.

So anyway, may be worth looking or waiting for some sort of special offer like that.

If they are handing out the T4B folding wheeled stand then <$800 is a screaming deal. I have one of those stands and they are quite expensive but well worth it. Stand alone is around $300 meaning you're getting the 12" glider for about $450. That is amazing. I woulda broke out the wallet right there.

michael case
10-02-2010, 9:15 AM
Ron,

My answer to as whether the Bosch could be as good as the Festool is easily. Festool quality control leaves a lot to be desired. The Domino had, and as far as I know still has, a number of problems, most notably the slipping fence issue that ruins a lot of wood. There is also a long history of jamming on the turn table of the Festool Sliding miter saw. I've never had any problems with Bosch. Also, where I buy my tools there is a tendency to not bull s around about returns - if its defective they hand you a new one. I I find the "mail it to Festool nonsense" unacceptable. Having said all that I should remember that Bosch is using a radically new approach on this saw and only time will tell.

Larry Edgerton
10-03-2010, 7:08 AM
Is it as big as their last offering? Their last saw was just to large physically for job site work, would take up too much space in transport.

Steve Rowe
10-03-2010, 8:19 AM
German vs German. It could get ugly.

$800 hurts, but for God's sake the $1300 for the Festool is agony. However, I used one and it is as absurdly good as it is absurdly priced. Can't these guys make a fantastic tool that when we hear the price we say, "Ouch, but I can live with it" vs, "Holy fricking___!"

I read quiet a bit about this saw tonight - it looks killer and very innovative. The new arm makes even the kapex old fashioned. This is all new. Also, the say dust collection is very good - 90%. The KK, Kapex Kiiller? Hmmm.

While Bosch may be a German company, the saw under discussion is made in China. The saw is certainly unique and seemed very smooth with little play. My subjective comparison between the Bosch and the Kapex is that the dust collection on the Bosch is not as good as the Festool. As I recall, Bosch said the saw would be available around Oct 1, 2010. Wes is correct about the IWF show special pricing. I doubt that is still available though.

Ray Schwalb
10-03-2010, 8:20 AM
I was able to see the new Bosch and the Festool not side by side, but a few hundred feet apart at the Remodeling show in Baltimore. The Bosch salesman nearly got my credit card- it was in the high $700's with free shipping, sometime in October- no offer of any accessories. I agree completely that saw is just gigantic- I can't imagine moving it around regularly, or finding a place for it in my truck. The Bosch weighs 65lbs, the Kapex 47lbs. For me it is all about using it at customers homes, and the Bosch, like all the saws but the Kapex, doesn't collect dust well. If I was going to use it in a shop, and didn't have to move it often, the Bosch looks fantastic, put the back of it right up against the wall, and you can nearly get two of them for the price of the Kapex.

Will Overton
10-03-2010, 8:25 AM
Can't these guys make a fantastic tool that when we hear the price we say, "Ouch, but I can live with it" vs,

They probably could. But, whats a better business model.

>Sell 1000 saws at $400 profit = $400,000

>Sell 4000 saws at $100 profit = $400,000

In the first example you only have to deal with 1000 customers who are willing to pay for quality.

In the second example you have to deal with 4000 customers, many of whom want more for less.

If it was my business I'd prefer the first model. ;)

C Scott McDonald
10-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Wow thats cool! I watched the video on their website and was really impressed. Think I would like to see one in person before pulling the trigger on something like that though.

12" chop saw blades would get expensive pretty quick.

Dan Karachio
10-08-2010, 2:06 PM
I was able to see the new Bosch and the Festool not side by side, but a few hundred feet apart at the Remodeling show in Baltimore. The Bosch salesman nearly got my credit card- it was in the high $700's with free shipping, sometime in October- no offer of any accessories. I agree completely that saw is just gigantic- I can't imagine moving it around regularly, or finding a place for it in my truck. The Bosch weighs 65lbs, the Kapex 47lbs. For me it is all about using it at customers homes, and the Bosch, like all the saws but the Kapex, doesn't collect dust well. If I was going to use it in a shop, and didn't have to move it often, the Bosch looks fantastic, put the back of it right up against the wall, and you can nearly get two of them for the price of the Kapex.

Ray, their lit and other reviews say the Bosch dust collection is 95% or so. That is in Kapex territory. Are you saying that in person it did not perform well in DC? One major factor for me in spending so much on a saw is DC - my current saw is the worst in DC of all my tools and I am tired of it.

Dave Lindstrom
10-11-2010, 11:07 AM
I had pre-ordered it from Ohio Power Tool--arrived 10/7. It is a hulker, but I don't plan to move it around. The action is really smooth and I'm happy with the quality of cut, even with the stock blade.

Mike Reinholtz
10-11-2010, 11:40 AM
I had pre-ordered it from Ohio Power Tool--arrived 10/7. It is a hulker, but I don't plan to move it around. The action is really smooth and I'm happy with the quality of cut, even with the stock blade.

Any pictures or comments on accuracy? Please give us more!:D

Robert Chapman
10-11-2010, 8:29 PM
Come on Dave - you're the first - we are dying to get more info. Pictures? More impressions?

Van Huskey
10-11-2010, 8:32 PM
Do tell Dave, I saw it at IWF but haven't seen it in use. Fortunately, I need another slider like I need another hole in my head but I am interested in knowing your full thoughts.

Dan Karachio
10-12-2010, 4:19 PM
Dave come back, please. Tell us everything including dust collection!

Jason Yeager
10-16-2010, 10:45 PM
Another voter for more information from Dave. Please.

thanks

Van Huskey
10-16-2010, 10:49 PM
Dave must be enjoying it so much he can't get back...

Will Overton
10-17-2010, 9:54 AM
If he just got a new computer I would expect to see him here ... but he got a new saw and is probably/hopefully in his shop. ;)

Julian Wong
10-17-2010, 10:07 AM
Ok, what kind of manufacturer is this? They don't have the saw available yet but they post the owner's manual online and videos to tease us! :P

I'm drooling for the saw!

Will Overton
10-17-2010, 10:28 AM
Ok, what kind of manufacturer is this? They don't have the saw available yet but they post the owner's manual online and videos to tease us! :P

I'm drooling for the saw!

Actually, if you read the thread, about 8 post up, you would know that you could have had one already. Dave preordered his and already has it.

Stop whining and start ordering. :)

Erik Stol
10-17-2010, 10:32 AM
I read the articles about this new Bosch saw. Then I asked our local Bosch representative, when it will be available in Europe. First the lady didn't know anything about the machine, so I had to show her some info from the Bosch us site. Then after a couple of weeks came the answer: maybe summer 2011... And what about the pricing? We still don't know. My best guess is that the pricing will be the same number as you pay in dollars but we have to pay it in Euro's. And ouch, that hurts.

Ben Martin
10-17-2010, 12:09 PM
Here is a link to the Bosch site so you don't have to go searching...

http://www.boschtools.com/Products/Tools/Pages/BoschProductDetail.aspx?pid=GCM12SD#

Dan Karachio
10-17-2010, 4:59 PM
I really can't justify this now, but I was using my Hitachi 12" non slider today and it has really outlived its life. What a mess. I won't bash it too much, but it excels in its mediocrity in every way. Dust collection has been solved for every tool I have except the MS. If this saw steps up the level of dust collection to anywhere near Kapex levels I think I will do it. Dave may never come back, but soon enough I am sure I will be able to see one in action.

Chris Brault
10-18-2010, 12:26 AM
Ya, that's a sweet looking saw. Tons of capacity. My dewalt is gonna have to go one of these days!

Robert Chapman
10-31-2010, 11:41 AM
Fine Woodworking just had a wimpy evaluation of this saw - about all they said was it cut accurately right out of the box. Guess Dave Lindstrom either doesn't like his or lost his fingers to the saw and can't type. Anyone else have the saw and opinions?

C Scott McDonald
10-31-2010, 2:43 PM
For those in Colorado, Tool King has one at there store on 6th ave. It is out on display and you can play with it until your heart is content.

I would have to say that it will be the new standard for SCMS. It could not be any smoother. The detent system seemed solid. It is a big ole saw though thats for sure.

Going to start putting pennies in the piggy bank for it now.

Also for the local people they are going to have a big sale November 18th-22nd. They are also in the process of blowing out porter cable router bits for some really good prices. I picked up a couple.

Scott

Peter Pedisich
10-31-2010, 7:12 PM
Here on Long Island Dynamite Tool has one on display, and it is smoooth as can be when extending the saw, remarkable. Not at all like the rumbly ball bearing feel of some display model sliders I've seen at big box stores. The ergonomics felt great to me, even better than my 7-year old DeWalt which I love. I like the fence design better than my DeWalt also.
But when my car was new it was smooth and tight and perfect, and now with 102k it's got a few noises on a cold morning, I feel the bumps a little more also.
If this Bosch saw holds up well to job site and shop use, and Bosch has done better in this way than some others, I think Bosch will have a winner.
Dynamite Tool has been a terrific tool store for me, great prices as well.

Richard Wolf
10-31-2010, 7:25 PM
What's the price out the door at Dynamite, Peter?

Richard

Greg R Bradley
10-31-2010, 10:03 PM
I went to the Bosch event at the local tool store last weekend and looked at this unit extensively out of curiosity. I'm not in the market for a SCMS. It is interesting, but is an alternative for the 12" Bosch Slider. Great saw for framing, etc. Looked like an excellent job site saw with the rolling stand. A bit crude for fine work. Not even comparable to a Kapex, which I have used quite a bit.

They were $588 at the sale. I watched several go out the door while I was trying to resist buying anything, not that I succeded completely. I don't know if they took the rest to the Costa Mesa WW show, but assume they were available at that price.

Jim Stanley
10-31-2010, 10:35 PM
Bosch had one on demo at the Dallas WW show and it drew a lot of attention. Appears to be everything we expect from Bosch. Very impressive. In an attempt to keep my wife speaking to me, I didn't ask the price,,,,,,,,

Callan Campbell
10-31-2010, 10:40 PM
Once all those hinge joints start to wear, how do you take up the play? I read somewhere that there is a mechanism to do this in the saw pivot joints, but haven't seen one in person.

Robert Chapman
11-01-2010, 6:53 AM
Amazon.com has an evaluation of this saw that is the first fairly comprehensive evaluation that I have seen. The evualuator seems to like everything about the saw except perhaps the price.

Noah Katz
11-01-2010, 2:08 PM
Once all those hinge joints start to wear, how do you take up the play? I read somewhere that there is a mechanism to do this in the saw pivot joints, but haven't seen one in person.

I thought they were ball bearings.

If not, hopefully the bushings are made of acetal (Delrin et al), which has proven itself in machine tools, for example in lead screw nuts.

[edit] Not sure it covers all of the pivot points, but the Amazon review says "Bosch's 12 sealed ball bearing glide mechanism does just that..".

http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-GCM12SD-120-Volt-12-Inch-Glide/product-reviews/B004323NNC/ref=sr_1_1_cm_cr_acr_pop_hist_5?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addFiveStar&qid=1288634921&sr=8-1