PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Mark Singer--Bed detail

Dave Richards
12-15-2004, 9:58 AM
Hi Mark, hi folks,

Here is a detail of our koa bed It should be fairly clear from the picture what is going on. The rails are upsidedown Ls and are held in place strictly by gravity.

http://hamiltonwoodworks.com/drichards/Misc/bed.jpg

Mark Singer
12-15-2004, 10:31 AM
That looks like a halved lap joint intersecting the leg...relly beautiful and maintains the KD quality... thanks Dave....I cut my bridals already..this only works with corner legs...

Dave Richards
12-15-2004, 10:47 AM
I knew this wouldn't work for your bed (which is coming along nicely) but I thought it was an interesting joint.

Aaron Koehl
12-15-2004, 3:19 PM
That's really a neat look and probably fun to assemble. How much play do the pieces have if you jostle them hard?

Dave Richards
12-15-2004, 3:49 PM
No play at all, Aaron. It kind of amazes me that it is so easy to assemble and knock down but doesn't wobble at all. It's pretty heavy though. I imagine those tatami mats are a good 20 or 30 pounds each.

Jim Dunn
12-15-2004, 5:27 PM
Dave what did you use to cut the radius' on those corners?

By the way very pretty joint!

Dave Richards
12-15-2004, 6:32 PM
Jim, your guess is as good as mine. I didn't build the bed. My bride bought it when she was a teacher in Hawaii. I've thought about that radius a number of times, though and I'm not sure how I'd do it. Maybe a forstner bit but I've never been much good at the transition between a radius like that and the straight line.

Chris Padilla
12-15-2004, 7:55 PM
What a beautiful joint! You gotta love it when functionality and beauty meet....

Mark Singer
12-15-2004, 7:55 PM
Dave,

The radius on the legs is a shaper or router, Onthe frame it was scribed and coped or a pattern jig and router before assembly...coul even be a bandsaw with thin blade...then assembled

Scott Coffelt
12-15-2004, 9:07 PM
From the change in color, the tails look to be a different piece. Must be attached with M&T's or something.

Dave Richards
12-16-2004, 6:28 AM
Good thought on the cope, Mark.

Scott, no M&T there. The "tail", the part that extends though the leg has a small piece applied to it to build the height of the vertical portion of the rail so it is flush with the top of the leg.

Alan Turner
12-16-2004, 6:36 AM
Just a thought, but were I building this joint, I would simply carve the internal curve. I think for just one bed, I could bandsaw it to a rough dimension, and then carve to a scribed line quicker than I could jig it up.
Alan

Jim Becker
12-16-2004, 3:13 PM
Ok, Uncle Dave...your next SketchUp! assignment is to draw this one up including an exploded view for the boys and girls to oogle over!! :D :D :D (VERY nice bed, BTW)

Dave Richards
12-16-2004, 10:23 PM
Jim, I'm working on it. Actually I have most of it finished but SWMBO had surgery on her hand this morning so my daddy duty has increased. I told her she didn't need to have an operation just because she was tired of changing diapers. :rolleyes:

I'll try to get the drawings posted tomorrow.

Dave

Dave Richards
12-17-2004, 8:14 AM
Jim, and everyone else, here you go. I hope I made it clear enough. If you'd like more detail I can do a different view.
http://hamiltonwoodworks.com/drichards/Misc/KoaBed.jpg

Mark Singer
12-17-2004, 8:46 AM
That is pretty much what I thought...it is a halved lap with a key to thr leg...If you lay it out it is not hard to do.....Dave terrific drawing Again!

Lynn Sonier
12-17-2004, 9:00 AM
Nice work, Dave!!

Ralph Barhorst
12-17-2004, 9:57 AM
Dave,

Could you show us more detail on the foot. I think I know how to do it but a picture would be great.

Dave Richards
12-17-2004, 3:10 PM
Mark and Lynn, thank you very kindly.

Ralph, how's this?

Kevin Murdock
12-17-2004, 4:09 PM
Nice work Dave!

I'm new to sketchup and have just started playing around with it.

Is there any chance that you'd post the file for those of us not as well versed to play with? It would really help learn the system given the joint you've detailed.

Hope I' not stepping on any toes making the request.

Thanks,
/Kevin

Dave Richards
12-17-2004, 4:20 PM
Kevin, no problem and I had my toes curled under so you missed. :D
Have fun with this.