PDA

View Full Version : Sweat + Steele + Tannin = Purple Blotches

Eric Jacobson
09-11-2010, 10:25 AM
I learned something new since this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=1351950#poststop) that answers part of the mystery.

While hand-planing a joined soft maple table top, I noticed the same familiar purple blotchy stains forming all over the maple. I called my brother, who is a woodworker, and he explained that the problem runs in our family and is, in fact, the acidity of our sweat reacting with steel tools and tannin in certain woods. I think most people have this problem to some extent. But apparently the sweat in my family is particularly susceptible to this phenomena. My brother complained that his sweat is so bad, there are certain woods he has to shellac first, in order to touch and work with, without causing stains.

My original pictures in this thread show two types of discolorations. I believe the second picture was caused by acidic sweat mixed with using steel turning tools and chucks and some unseasoned wood tannin.

If this is true, it explains a lot. I've been getting nasty stains on maple and oak every time I turn with them. If anybody has more info or can point me to some articles on said topic, please do. Google did not help. But I did read about tannin-reactive ebonizing, which sounds perfect for my blotched up bowls. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon12.gif

Harvey Schneider
09-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Oxalic acid should remove the stains, but I think the only thing that will prevent them is wearing gloves. Nitrile gloves are a possible solution, they are cheap and disposable, but something that breaths would probably be more comfortable.

John Beaver
09-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Do your hands turn black also?
I have had good luck removing it from both hands and wood with lemon juice.

Reed Gray
09-11-2010, 4:20 PM
Concentrated lemon juice.

robo hippy

Ryan Baker
09-13-2010, 10:26 PM
It's REALLY bad with red oak ...

Nathan Hawkes
09-13-2010, 10:52 PM
Anything with tannic acid can do it, green or dry. Walnut for obvious reasons, cherry, white oak is terrible, red oak, locust, maple to a lesser extent, and catalpa, just to name a few that I've noticed it with.