PDA

View Full Version : Simple circle cuting jig

Mike Cruz
09-11-2010, 9:36 AM
Okay, it was simple, then I added some more "dimension" to it, so maybe it isn't so simple anymore.

The first pic shows the whole thing. It is a cut off from a wide piece of shelving from the Borg. I cut the kerf line with the TS. The 1" hole was an afterthought. The reason for it was that I first cut the kerf, then measured off the kerf for 4, 6, 8, 10, and 12 inch circles. Actually, I have a 12 swing on my lathe, so the 12" is actually 11 3/4". Then, I realized that I had wood that I could make 7" circles out of, so I added the 1" hole so I could move the jig 1/2" out or in...giving me a wider range of diameters.

The numbers I have written down are finished dimensions. So, the top numbers are for the blade being in the middle of the circle, giving me 1/4" oversized blanks (so maybe I can actually get close to 4, 6, 8", etc bowls). The line below that is for the blade being at the far left of the 1" hole. And the numbers on the bottom are for the blade being at the far right side of the 1" hole.

The little metal spike is from a piece of 3/16" metal rod I bought at the Borg for another project. Got lucky there that I had it lying around. I just sharpened the end on the sander and cut it off. Fits perfectly in the 3/16" holes I drilled in the shelving.

I already have plans for another one with slightly different mods, and will extend the 3/16" holes all the way to the end of the shelving so that I can use it for larger circles (other than lathe work).

Oh, when I first made this, there were two major differences: Instead of the 3/16" pin, I used a screw from the bottom up. But I had to take the whole thing apart to change the circle size; and I clamped the shelving down using F clamps. But in the interest of not having to have to mess with clamps and free up space on the surface, I moved to screwing the shelf to an extension table I have on my BS. Thanks to Tony De Masi for some suggestions.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=123333&d=1248202247

Tony De Masi
09-11-2010, 4:30 PM
Nice Mike. A bit more user friendly now.

George Guadiane
09-11-2010, 5:03 PM
Brilliant simplicity!

Mike Cruz
09-12-2010, 10:52 AM
Yeah, Tony, I think it works a lot better now. Thanks for the input.

Thanks, George. I'll be selling the plans for 4 easy payments of $39.99. Let me know if want a copy. I'll give you a deal! :D

Allen Neighbors
09-12-2010, 1:38 PM
Way to go, Mike... that's why they say, "Necessity is the Mother of Invention". BTW, "they" always means the Bureau of They.