PDA

View Full Version : HELP D-Handle router choice!

Mike Mastin
12-15-2004, 9:44 AM
I am torn between the Bosch 2 1/4 HP D-handle router and the Makita 2 1/4 HP D-handle router. Any input would be appreciated by users :confused:

Charles McKinley
12-15-2004, 11:55 PM
Hi Mike,

I have the Bosch. It has performed well in my limited use. I like the fine adjustment feature of the Bosch.

Tom Peterson
12-16-2004, 12:03 AM
Also own the Bosch. I have the plunge base for it and a mount for my router table. I think that you will be happy with either. I do like the micrometer adjustment feature on the Bosch. Tool reviews put them fairly close. See the other thread on the Amazon discounts both Makita and Bosch offer the $25 off.

Jerry Ingraham
12-16-2004, 11:26 AM
I have the Makita and it is a great tool except for the necessity to use two wrenches on the collet. Mine is about 4 years old though so maybe they now have a spindle lock like my 3 1/4 hp Makita has.

Mark J Bachler
12-16-2004, 1:10 PM
I have a Porter Cable D handle that I leave set up for dovetails. Motor & switch has held up well, adjustment is easy but again the two wrench thing is a pain in the butt. I also have a Porter Cable plunge router. Love the router, hate the base.

Steve Jenkins
12-16-2004, 2:25 PM
Well gee Mike we can't leave you with a choice between the two you listed. Always have to mudddy the waters a bit. Have you looked at the Milwaukee?
It's not a D handle but is designed to be held by the barrel. Has a padded hand grip and strap that goes over your hand. I think its balance feels better than a d handle but maybe that's because I have always held my routers by the barrel rather than the handles.

Jim Becker
12-16-2004, 3:08 PM
And I have the D-Handle for my Dewalt 618 and "like it very much". Of course, I think I'm going to like the Festool OF 1400 EQ Plus once it's available...just as comfortable as the D-Handle and it plunges, too.

Mike Mastin
12-17-2004, 9:28 AM
The Amazon sale provoked me to do something. I decided on the Makita D-handle as I have always had good luck with their tools and the the Bosch and it were my two favorites. I did not see the Dewalt in person so I did not consider it. I have to be able to touch and hold something to get the feel of it ;)

So like many of you there may be additional routers in my future, but this one will do for now. I have a couple of smaller ones and one larger one for the router table project(now what did I do with that spare time.....)

Happy Holidays to everyone and have a blessed New Year!