PDA

View Full Version : DON'T open that PDF file in an email.....

Bill Huber
09-10-2010, 9:20 PM
I have spent the last 12 hours cleaning up the Here you have PDF virus because people are so stupid they have to click on the link to a PDF file that then have no idea what its about and don't even know the person that sent it.

How many times do you have to tell people not to click on this stuff:mad:

So if you get an email that Here is the info you wanted or something of that time just delete it.

Michael Weber
09-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Sorry :( :(We got a warning about it from the IS dept at work today. Thanks for the reminder. I need to tell my wife.

Steve Griffin
09-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the warning.

I use a MAC, so I'm constantly insulted for having the artsy, fartsy stupid person computer.

But in 10 years of internet use, I've had zero problems. I've never purchased or used any virus software and click just about anything that looks like fun.

Even though I have been convinced I have no intelligence for using a MAC, I'm still pretty happy with it, despite the fact it works perfectly.

-Steve

Jim Koepke
09-10-2010, 10:53 PM
I also have a Mac, but I am still careful. There is some malware out there that does not care what your operating system might be it will corrupt files if it finds a way in.

jtk

glenn bradley
09-10-2010, 11:29 PM
Like Bill, I don't understand why anyone would click anything they did not know about; emails, attachments, links, etc. Some people just go wandering around the web with no thoughts about what it is. I assume these same people take morning strolls in the Australian Outback bare handed and without water(?).

Pat Germain
09-11-2010, 12:17 AM
FYI, if you're not using a Mac or Linux, it's a good idea to remove "Administrator" from your user account. Create another account with Administrator priviledges and use it only when necessary. While doing this won't prevent every infection, it will prevent many.

Also, no matter how one feels about operating systems, the fact is it's extremely difficult to infect a computer running Unix (Solaris, HPUX, Linux, Berkely OS, etc). This is because Unix was designed with security built in. Windows has evolved from a wide-open, DOS platform. Microsoft is still trying to plug all the holes. (Mac OS is Unix underneath.)

Curt Harms
09-11-2010, 8:53 PM
is I still have Java & Flash installed. I remember reading about some sort of hacking contest where Windows, Mac & Linux were targeted. Mac was the first to fall. Not due to a OSX but but due to I think it was a Java or browser exploit. Windows Vista fared better but was hacked. I don't think Linux was.

John Lohmann
09-11-2010, 9:21 PM
We got the Virus at work, & we have been messed up since 2:00 pm on Thursday

ray hampton
09-12-2010, 1:07 PM
When companies tell you that their computer are down, just what are they talking about a VIRUS or POWER failure ?

Bill Huber
09-12-2010, 3:21 PM
When companies tell you that their computer are down, just what are they talking about a VIRUS or POWER failure ?

Most of the time it is for maintenance but it could be from a lot of things.
Have to replace a hard drive, have to rebuild a bad file or just power outage.

It could just be an overload and the computer system crashed.

I only have 6 servers that I take care of at this time and I try my best to do all the maintenance at off peak times, install patches and update software. In the last 9 years I have had one server down for about 30 min. when I had to install a new drive.

ray hampton
09-12-2010, 3:44 PM
30 minutes" glory be "that is only a drop in the bucket, a number of companies that I have done business with have a DOWN-TIME OF 2 OR MORE DAYS----I have seen BANKS that had to suffer thru. computers DOWN-TIME but banks are back -up quick

Bill Cunningham
09-14-2010, 10:48 PM
Just looked it up, It can't affect your computer through the Adobe 'reader' so most will not have a problem.. here's the info
http://news.cnet.com/New-virus-travels-in-PDF-files/2100-1001_3-271267.html

rick carpenter
09-18-2010, 11:52 PM
I have spent the last 12 hours cleaning up the Here you have PDF virus because people are so stupid they have to click on the link to a PDF file that then have no idea what its about and don't even know the person that sent it.

I opened that file and actually GOT the info I wanted. Now, all I am waiting for is that nice Nigerian princess to send me my millions. Oh wait a minute, my bank is calling...