PDA

View Full Version : Almost made it to the Wedding

Stanley Waldrup
09-10-2010, 8:45 PM
My son got married this week and they had ask me to do all the engraving. No problem I have a new Rotisserie that had not been opened in 3 years. Good time to try it out. Small learning curve no problem. New can of Cermerk for the wedding Cake knife set, and Flask for the Groomsmens.
First time doing Flask and of course the Glass Heart shape boxes for the Bridesmaids. The suits and dresses except the Bride of course was a light green in color and I just happen to have in stock 10 light green wine glasses to surprise them. They wanted the wedding on a beach in Florida and they would both have a container of different color sands to pour in to a center container. Great its time for me to play and see what I could. I sent them back to the store to pick up a second set of glassware for the sand. I explained to them that I wanted it to be just right as that was something they would keep for a long long time. But I knew that it also had to make a 1700 mile journey from Michigan to Florida by Car.
Every thing went well and all the engravings were perfect. I could not wait to show them off. Every thing was packed in the Car (Chevy HHR) and off it went. I was to fly in a few days later help set up and was met at the airport and off to where the wedding was to take place. but it was moved inside a hall due to rain. No problem I can't wait for the kids to see all the glassware. Its my first time engraving glass and I was very proud of all the extra detail put into everything. Everyone was around the car to help unload all the goodies so I opened the back hatch and as the hatch swang open the box with all the glassware had sticky tape on the side and had STUCK to the hatch lid. As the Nesquik Bunny used to say in their chocolate Commercial Thats the saddest sound I know....We all just stood there and hoped for the best. 6 pretty light green wine glasses...Broken. Bud vases for the flowers...Broken. Along with a few other Items. I removed all the broken Items to get down to the bottom of the box where the Sand Glasses and Center Piece was to find one of the center pieces and on of the sand glasses were also broken. But to my surprise the second set I ask them to pick up for a back up made it with out a scratch.
Lessons learned..

Always have a second set of Glass.

Always use Bubble Wrap..News paper Just don't have the Cushion

Don't leave Stick Tape on a box.

And carry the Glass heart boxes in your suitcase wrapped in tee shirts.

The rest of the glass was quickly replaced from a local store and the rest of the wedding went off with a hitch. The rain let up and when I looked out side there was a rainbow...Great back drop for a picture.

Stanley

Tom Bull
09-10-2010, 10:44 PM
Good advice, and great photo. Maybe you could engrave them one.

Robert Walters
09-11-2010, 1:12 AM
Stanley,

My heart sank a little when I read that.
Murphy is a dead man when I catch him!

Frank Corker
09-11-2010, 6:51 AM
Robert there is nothing you can do to him, he's the law!

Stanley Waldrup
09-11-2010, 8:27 AM
Good advice, and great photo. Maybe you could engrave them one.
I plan to do a tile but I have to try to lighten them up a little first.