PDA

View Full Version : Real Woodworking From My Shop

Dave Richards
12-15-2004, 9:29 AM
Most of the time I feel like a woodworkerwannabe. I look at what everyone turns out and I start to wonder why in the world I have a 2 car garage full of tools.

Finally, I have actually made something. This is a little box of maple, walnut and cherry. The box is 1/4" thick maple. Sides are 3" high. Dovetail pins are 6mm wide cut with my WoodRat.

The cherry is inside and forms the lip on which the lid sits.

I'm still waiting for the oil/poly to cure before applying a coat of paste wax.

I ended up with a dark green sueded fabric for the bottom. I also found headliner material in the bargin bin at the fabric store which I used as a pad under the fabric.

http://hamiltonwoodworks.com/drichards/Misc/box.jpg
Might help if I attach the photograph. :rolleyes:

Keith Starosta
12-15-2004, 9:45 AM
I'd love to comment on the box, Dave......but I'm seeing no picture. ;)

Keith

------------------

edit: ahhhh.....there it is. Very nice!!

Ted Shrader
12-15-2004, 9:49 AM
Dave -

That is a very nice box. Nice, simple, clean lines and the contrasting woods make it a work of art.

Ted

Jason Tuinstra
12-15-2004, 9:53 AM
Very nice Dave. These kind of projects are a lot of fun and very rewarding. Thanks for sharing.

Dave Richards
12-15-2004, 9:54 AM
Thank you Ted and Jason. That's a big compliment.

Keith, is it any better now? I screwed up. :p

Michael Stafford
12-15-2004, 10:16 AM
Like it Dave! :D

How about some pictures of the inside? I am not sure how your box opens and operates. :)

Mark Singer
12-15-2004, 10:25 AM
Dave,

Beautiful...nice proportions and great details...like the dovetails! What will you use it for?

Glenn Clabo
12-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Well done Dave! Looks like some of those delicate WoodRat dovetails?

Kurt Aebi
12-15-2004, 10:45 AM
Dave,

What's this "woodworker Wannabe" talk all about? You have done a fine job abd believe me, small boxes like this is Real Woodworking to the n'th degree (Just ask Dennis Peacock!). You need every skill imaginable to do thes boxes and just about any other small item as you would need for a very large project, in fact the smaller the item, the more precise you have to be - the smallest error is really magnified compared to a large item. Just think about a kitchen cabinet that is off even 3/16" over 10 ft. compared to 1/16" over 4". So Please do not disregard yourself as a "wannabe" - you have done a wonderful, wonderful job on this box.

This box is beautiful and like Big Mike said, we'd love to see the "inner workings" of this fine example of your woodworking skill.

Dave Richards
12-15-2004, 10:56 AM
Thanks alot guys.

Michael, there aren't any insides yet. :D Actually the bottom and the foam/fabric insert are made but because the oil hasn't cured yet and I want to apply some wax, I didn't install them.

I'll add a photograph with the bottom in when it is finished. The lid simply lifts out. No hinges or anything.

Mark, thank you. It will be a Christmas gift for my sister. I'll let her figure out what to put in it.

Glenn, how could you tell?

Kurt, I appreciate your words.

Glenn Clabo
12-15-2004, 11:43 AM
Glenn, how could you tell?It uses special 1-in-9 slope HSS bits...and they look sweet...particularly on apps like this and draws fronts. Someday I'll get some time to make more than tenons and box joints on my Rat.

Which reminds me...if you don't have one of these Precision Stops
http://www.thecraftsmangallery.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/precision_stop_thumb.jpg (http://www.thecraftsmangallery.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=W/PROD/A/32-125) PM me your snail mail. I got an extra coming for being a good guy. They are great for cutting tenons.

Dick Parr
12-15-2004, 12:18 PM
Very nice looking Box Dave! Nice use of the wood types.

Tyler Howell
12-15-2004, 1:11 PM
Looking good as always Dave. Your being modest though. Look around your shop and see all the efforts of real WW.:cool:

Jim Becker
12-16-2004, 4:17 PM
I like that box, Dave. Nice clean design which lets the wood speak.

Byron Trantham
12-16-2004, 4:42 PM
Well I guess you have graduated from "woodworkerwannabe"! :D

Very nice job, simple and elegant.

Dave Richards
12-24-2004, 8:17 AM
Finally I have some more photos of my little box to post. I'm sure Ii was keeping many of you from your sleep by my delay. Sorry 'bout that. :D

http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums/Dave-R1s-Album/tm4.jpg
Inside the box. Just a simple, open box.

http://www.woodshopphotos.com/albums/Dave-R1s-Album/tm3.jpg
Finish is BLO/satin wipe on poly mix and then paste wax rubbed on.

FWIW, the bottom is 1/8" thick clear pine. Another piece of the same stuff forms the base on which the fabric is wrapped.

The cherry pieces were cut so the bottom extends about 1/32" out the bottom of the box. This creates a smalll shadow line around the bottom of the box making it look like it is almost floating.

Tyler, thank you. For all the tools I've got, you'd think I could crank out more than an occassional box or boat! :rolleyes:

Dick Parr
12-24-2004, 8:24 AM
Very nice Dave!

Jay Knepper
12-24-2004, 3:55 PM
That is one beautiful box, Dave. I really like the choice of woods and the way that the handle just flows out of the plane of the top.

Am I correct in assuming that you drew your plans in a CAD program and made a template for the handle?

Dave Richards
12-24-2004, 5:23 PM
Thank you Dick and Jay.

Jay, I'm glad you like the handle. I thought about drawing a template on the computer but ended up using a cottage cheese container or something like that to draw the curve. I just eyeballed the locations after drawing a center line.

As much as I'd like it to be perfectly symmetrical, it isn't.