PDA

View Full Version : Non Grex pins in Grex pin nailer?

Dan Karachio
09-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Maybe a dumb question, but I have lived jam free for some time and want to keep it that way. I am looking at stainless 23 gauge pins to use in my Grex pin nailer and other vendors seem to offer smaller quantities (I won't need 5000 of any size). What, now, all of a sudden I am being cost conscious?

Chris Padilla
09-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Well, I have the same pinner and I have only used the Grex brand.

How many and what size SS pins do you need? I'll send you some if it isn't too much. I bought a bunch...happy to share if reasonable. :)

Jim McFarland
09-10-2010, 1:46 PM
The Fastener Company has 23 gauge SS pins in quantities of 1,000, including some combination size packs. Satisfied with orders they've done for me.

Will Overton
09-10-2010, 4:29 PM
I haven't used stainless, but when I ordered the gun I also ordered various sized pins. I got a mixture of Grex and Senco ... no problems in about 3 years.

Dave Lehnert
09-10-2010, 5:07 PM
I own 3 Senco guns and one Craftsman gun. I use a mix of brand nails, Senco, Porter Cable, Craftsman and Harbor Freight. Never a problem.

Van Huskey
09-10-2010, 11:09 PM
Never used anything but Grex in my Grex, will be interested to watch this thread.

Rick Lizek
09-11-2010, 5:49 AM
You can use generic pins and nails in various guns. It's myth you need to stay with one brand. Used to sell and service guns and nails.

Grex, expensive?!?!? We used to sell the BEA pinner for around $600 20 years ago and the longest pins were 1". It was one of the few options around. Almost all woodworking tools today are relatively cheap for the most part.

Dan Karachio
09-11-2010, 11:07 AM
Thanks everyone. It's funny, but I never would have asked this about my Bosch guns. I guess I think this little Grex is so darn cool (and comparatively expensive) it is best served with it's own special pins. You know, maybe it is the green they use that gets me thinking this way (this is meant to be a Festool joke). I'll try the other brand and see how things go!

Dan Karachio
09-11-2010, 5:40 PM
FYI, Woodcraft has a bunch of stainless steel pins, brads and more on sale, very cheap. I don't do too much outside stuff for this, but have one project where I could use it. Still, it's nice to have if/when you need it. Chris, thanks for the offer, but I needed too many to take advantage of your offer and generosity and it would have been pushing the boundaries of politeness!

Dave Lehnert
09-11-2010, 7:50 PM
I know of one manufacture if they ran behind on making nails they would buy them and repackage in there brand.