PDA

View Full Version : Wenge bowl finished

Harvey Schneider
09-10-2010, 10:16 AM
I have to thank everybody who gave me advice on finishing this bowl.
I did experiments on the scraps that were band-sawed off the original blank and learned a great deal about finishing Wenge. All of the penetrating finishes, including oils, lacquers and polyurethane had the same effect on the grain pattern. They all darkened the brown grain so that the wood became uniformly dark.
In the end, wax was the finish that gave me the appearance that I wanted. I applied and buffed the wax but then discovered that the wax, lodged in some of the open pores of the wood, had a white appearance. Heating the wood gently with a heat gun until the wax began to flow cleared this problem. Hand buffing was all that was needed to get the final appearance to my satisfaction.
I considered Malcolm's suggestion of liming wax, and I experimented with it on some of the scraps. The effect was quite striking although a little hard to control. I think that I will have to try that on some future piece, but I wasn't willing to risk this one.
I have to apologize for the photography. The combination of the dark wood and hard wax gives a surface that is like a mirror. I don't have a dedicated photo setup, and the reflection of the sky was impossible to eliminate from the pictures.

bob svoboda
09-10-2010, 1:03 PM
That turned out great Harvey. Very nice bowl.

Michael James
09-10-2010, 2:28 PM
Nice job on a challenging medium. I think I need to be less impulsive. Thanks for sharing the process!
mj

Karl Card
09-10-2010, 2:33 PM
wenge, I like to look at the wood in its raw form and I have a gang load of pen blanks here and even a couple of boards but I hate turning it. I think it is because of the way the grain it. I like the shiny smooth look and it seems hard to me to get that with wenge, then theres white wenge which is even more different.

Steve Schlumpf
09-10-2010, 4:58 PM
Harvey - very nice bowl! I haven't seen any Wenge yet but sure like what you did with it! I can also understand the difficulties in photographing such a dark wood. In this case - your photos look fine!

Joe Shinall
09-10-2010, 8:59 PM
Harvey, very nice job on the finish. I loved the bowl before and have been waiting to see it done and you did it good justice.

Allen Neighbors
09-10-2010, 9:12 PM
I think you're to be commended for what you've done with some contrary wood! You've excelled on this stuff. Nice bowl!!
I wouldn't attempt to turn a bowl from it, after having made only a few pens of it. I like a challenge, but I don't like to cause myself harm!.... :)

Bernie Weishapl
09-10-2010, 9:12 PM
That is one nice bowl Harvey. Really well done.

John Keeton
09-10-2010, 9:14 PM
A Wenge Wok!!!!:D Great result, Harvey! Very nice form and the wax was the right decision.

Curt Fuller
09-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Beautiful! And good info on finishing Wenge.

David Christopher
09-10-2010, 10:38 PM
very nice bowl, the wax was the right finish

William Hutchinson
09-11-2010, 7:59 AM
The final result was excellent in preserving the natural color of the wenge. It was also a clever way to remove wax.

David E Keller
09-11-2010, 8:13 AM
It's still a beautiful bowl... I must admit that I like the look of the piece best in the original post sans finish, but that may just be a photo phenomenon. It's a great looking bowl.