PDA

View Full Version : scanning a magazine image

stan kern
09-10-2010, 10:11 AM
I would like to ask what programs people are using to scan an image for laser use-cut/engrave.
I have been using corel x3 to a *.dxf then run it through a convert prg (check) then the final *.dxf
Does it really matter to go beyond300 dpi on the initial scan?
Is there better programs out there to scan to convert etc.
This was a circle and leaf i scanned and cut ,turned ok, ok possibly a bit too much power.Second cut i ran it with less power and faster and was good,is there better ways

Dan Hintz
09-10-2010, 11:44 AM
Your description is a bit muddied, but it appears you are scanning an image and tracing/converting it to a vector file, correct?

If so, the scan resolution should only be as high as necessary to get a clean vector trace... for most images, 300dpi is fine, though for high-resolution images with very fine detail I've gone higher.

stan kern
09-10-2010, 12:57 PM
thats correct i want to scan an image to use on the laser,so i will stick to 300 dpi scan then use a convert prg for the final *.dxf file

Frank Corker
09-10-2010, 4:35 PM
Stan there are a few tracer programs, such as the one in Corel itself, there is a good one I use a lot called Vector Magic. It will allow you to save your files in EPS, AI, EMF, DXF, PDF and SVG. Works pretty well.

In Corel, if you are trying to trace 'lines' you should choose 'LINE ART' and move the settings to get the best results. If not great go to Logo and try that, etc until you find the best for your subject. When scanning from a magazine, everything is in halftone and so at different resolutions you might be subjected to 'Moire' patterns in the image which can be annoying so you need to bear that in mind too.

stan kern
09-10-2010, 5:30 PM
thanks for the info

Joe De Medeiros
09-12-2010, 1:19 PM
Have you tried inkscape "Dan's favorite" I find it much better than corel at vectorizing scans, oh and it's free.