PDA

View Full Version : colors of mesquite

charlie knighton
09-10-2010, 8:34 AM
is mesquite mostly brown, or does it have various shades????? i have some wood that i thought was mesquite but is more black than brown but cuts very well and has the worm boring through it

just wondering

Alan Trout
09-10-2010, 9:03 AM
Coming from Mesquite country I have to say that I get quite a bit a variance in color from where it grew. It will run from a light brown to almost red in color from different areas. I have never seen it really black.

Good Luck

Alan

John Keeton
09-10-2010, 9:11 AM
Charlie, I recently bought a block of mesquite from Woodcraft for one of the pot pourri bowls I just did. It was labeled 'Mesquite-black.' Not being aware of anything other than just plain mesquite, I figured it was some indication of the color of this particular specimen. It was quite grayish dark brown while wet, but has already lightened considerably, and starting to get a reddish brown tint after only a week or so from being roughed out.

Bernie Weishapl
09-10-2010, 9:28 AM
Charlie I had a couple of pieces of mesquite that were like almost jet black. When I turned them they lightened up to a reddish, dark brown. I have like others seen it from a honey gold to like this stuff almost black. I am wondering if it is the area and the minerals the trees have taken up over the years of growing.

Chuck Goodpaster
09-10-2010, 9:35 AM
I also bought a block from woodcraft. I have turned several wine stoppers and turkey calls with it. The color of mine is somewhere between medium and dark grey... Very unique

Robert McGowen
09-10-2010, 9:48 AM
Mesquite can be a dark color like that. The sap wood is yellowish and is normally where the grub holes are though. They don't usually extend way down into the heart wood, though I am sure that some grubs get lost and head that way. I actually sat a piece of mesquite down on a plywood table top and a few weeks later picked it up to find grub holes all through the top of the table.

One way you can tell if it is mesquite is that if you turn it green, your hands will be stained black for a day or two, as will any metal that you let the wet shavings sit on. I have even had the wood stain itself black when turning it.

And Keeton, you are wasting your time roughing it out. Just turn and finish it in one sitting. :cool:

David Woodruff
09-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Mesquite can be purchased in all colors mentioned. I prefer Honey Mesquite purchased from Harold Jambers, Unique Mesquite, Whitsett TX. Specify crotch, burl, straight. Harold can and will provide what you want. He is normally at the AAW Symposium with some very beautiful wood.

Mark Patoka
09-10-2010, 10:46 AM
A woodworker in San Antonio told me that the minerals in the ground and region of the country will affect the color of mesquite. Texas mesquite may vary greatly within the state and from Arizona mesquite because of whats in the ground. I don't have any personal hands-on experience with it, just what I've been told.

John Keeton
09-10-2010, 11:24 AM
And Keeton, you are wasting your time roughing it out. Just turn and finish it in one sitting. :cool:Robert, 'roughing' in this situation was simply getting a tenon and general form to the piece - I did finish it out within a few days and it is one of the pot pourri pots I posted. Amazingly stable wood! It was soaking wet, and has not moved at all.

Frank Van Atta
09-10-2010, 11:36 AM
One way you can tell if it is mesquite is that if you turn it green, your hands will be stained black for a day or two . .

Fast Orange hand cleaner will take most of the black off fast.

charlie knighton
09-10-2010, 12:21 PM
thanks, this is more grey than black, but have not put any oil on it yet :D i compared it to black walnut and while there is some likeness the black walnut has the chambered pith which the mesquite does not, i also have the black on my hands