PDA

View Full Version : Gutters off a large dormer, or other options?

Art Mulder
09-10-2010, 8:11 AM
Hey Folks,

We are having a bedroom built above our attached garage. It is basically one big dormer coming out of the garage roof, like so:

The question (concern?) is what to do about rain gutters. The dormer roof is actually set in about 4-6" from the main roof, it does not line up.

I'm looking for advice on how best to deal with rain/gutters. I guess I'm most concerned about water falling on the upper roof, running down and hitting the valley, and then running along the valley and just cascading off of the SIDE of the roof, which happens to be right over the main walkway to the front entrance.

I'm not sure that gutters would really help -- can you even get gutters that are angled at the end so that they could be installed on the dormer and snugly meet up with the roof by the valley?

Ideas? Experience? Wisdom? Please share!

Mitchell Andrus
09-10-2010, 9:26 AM
In even a mild downfall I'd think the rain would 'miss' the main roof or at least splash enough that you'd end up with an awful lot of water hitting the ground. Adding a gutter kills the open rafter effect - try to preserve this if you can.

I'd redesign (if you can) and eliminate the remainder of the old roof line. As a decorative element it's not doing anything for me.

How about something like this (with a gutter of course):

Dave Gaul
09-10-2010, 9:41 AM
I like Mitch's idea... roof line seems to "flow" (NPI) much better, and should make gutter installation more simple..

Doug Sewell
09-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Yes, a good gutter installer can butt the gutter to the exististing roof. It would take making a custom endcap so it will match the roof angle. It's not a big deal and easy to do. Then you can put a downspout on the other end that goes to the lower roof. I would be worried about what will happen in the winter, It could grow a very large ice jam that couldget under the shingles and couse all sort of trouble. I would leave the gutter off and see what happens, you can always add it later. FWIW, Iv'e owned a gutter company for 20 years although I'm in Atlanta, Georgia. I admit that I don't deal with snow or ice too much.

Art Mulder
09-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Adding a gutter kills the open rafter effect - try to preserve this if you can.

I'd redesign (if you can) and eliminate the remainder of the old roof line. As a decorative element it's not doing anything for me.

How about something like this (with a gutter of course):

Interesting redesign, Mitchell. But perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my original comment when I said "having a bedroom built". Its present tense, as in the Drywall is going in today, and the board-n-batten is going on early next week.

ie:160881
(that's actually not totally up to date either)

I will keep your roofline redesign in mind though, in case this becomes a problem in future. It certainly would keep the rain off the walkway.

Yes, a good gutter installer can butt the gutter to the exististing roof.
I would leave the gutter off and see what happens, you can always add it later. FWIW, Iv'e owned a gutter company for 20 years although I'm in Atlanta, Georgia. I admit that I don't deal with snow or ice too much.

Thanks, Doug. That our probably current plan -- to wait a couple months and see how this shakes out.

I was just trying to learn if there are other solutions out there that I am just unaware of.

Jim Finn
09-10-2010, 4:53 PM
Yes, a good gutter installer can butt the gutter to the exististing roof. It would take making a custom endcap so it will match the roof angle. It's not a big deal and easy to do. Then you can put a downspout on the other end that goes to the lower roof. I would be worried about what will happen in the winter, It could grow a very large ice jam that couldget under the shingles and couse all sort of trouble. I would leave the gutter off and see what happens, you can always add it later. FWIW, Iv'e owned a gutter company for 20 years although I'm in Atlanta, Georgia. I admit that I don't deal with snow or ice too much.
I agree ,gutter is necessary as described, and I ran a gutter business 15 years in Wisconsin. Ice will be a problem otherwise. Also water spashing on the lower roof can get up under the siding on the dormer.