PDA

View Full Version : To Finial or Not to Finial...

Jon Lanier
09-10-2010, 1:33 AM
... that is the question!!!! :o

(Cherry Burl, 8" x 5 1/2" aprox.)

I started out making a natural edge bowl (which is my first one ever). I liked what was on top so I tried to make sort of a HF out of it and this was the result.

This is going to the person who gave me the cherry wood from their yard. Now, my wife likes it without a finial. I'm thinking maybe it does...

So, I thought I'd get your expert opinions/critiques and go from there. The opening is about 2 1/2 inches. Your help as always is greatly appreciated!

David E Keller
09-10-2010, 1:49 AM
I say no to the finial, but I could be talked into a lid with a small decorative knob.:D

William Hutchinson
09-10-2010, 6:00 AM
I'm with Dave on this one. A contrasting top and small knob would look good.

Sorry I just read the last line of the OP--Disclaimer: this is a non-expert opinion.

John Keeton
09-10-2010, 7:01 AM
Sorry I just read the last line of the OP--Disclaimer: this is a non-expert opinion.William, in my line of business, "expert opinions" are the ones you PAY FOR, and dearly, I might add!!:eek: So, I guess that precludes any of those here!:D

Jon, I agree on the lid (walnut would be nice) and a simple knob (from the burl if you have a piece), but I would add my thoughts as to why no finial. You have done this piece with the dome quite large and prominent. It rises above the NE in places and is a major focal point of this piece. To place a finial on it would cause the piece to be out of balance IMO, and would give it too much height for the overall form. A contrasting lid, and burl knob, on the other hand, would celebrate the dome and not produce too much height. I think it would produce a much more balanced piece.

Ken Glass
09-10-2010, 8:36 AM
Jon,
I agree with JK and would go further and say you might par off the top, and then add a feature ring of dark wood to the bottom of the cover where it would sit deeper into the form. Finish the cover in a small dark wood knob. I hope you can picture it from my bad explanation. The wood grain is very striking and the form doesn't need a lot of tweaking, but the cover, as is, is kind of lost in the wood color. I like that you were able to save all the natural edge. I am sure there will be lots of good ideas.

Baxter Smith
09-10-2010, 8:51 AM
No expert opinion here! Good luck with whatever you try!

Scott Lux
09-10-2010, 9:10 AM
I think it's great as is, but a lid and small knob might be good.

If you don't lid it, may I suggest a name? "Caldera" It's a volcanic formation. Not exactly like your form, but close enough for jazz.

Lux

Scott Hackler
09-10-2010, 9:25 AM
My vote is a lid with a small knob, as well. I think a finial will distract from the form. Nice burl BTW!

Bernie Weishapl
09-10-2010, 9:30 AM
Really nice looking piece. I would say do nothing or maybe a lid with a small knob. I like it as is.

Steve Schlumpf
09-10-2010, 9:34 AM
Jon - very nice work! I'll go with David and John - a lid out of a darker wood with a small knob out of the Cherry burl.

Looking forward to seeing how it ends up! Have fun!

Wally Dickerman
09-10-2010, 11:19 AM
I'm going to go against the grain and say not only no finial, but no lid or contrasting knob. This piece is a display of a rugged, natural edge, burl vessel. There should be nothing of a formal nature about it. IMO it should stand on it's own as is.

Wally

bob svoboda
09-10-2010, 1:06 PM
Like Wally said.

Jon Lanier
09-11-2010, 7:23 PM
Thanks everybody! My wife had seen all the suggestions and said, "See, I'm right!"

So, okay, I'm just going to let it be with no lid, finial, etc... If anything for the purpose of peace and love in my home. ;)

I'll go with Scott Lux suggestion and name it "Caldera."

Next time I have the opportunity to do something like this I'll take the dome down lower and try to have a smaller opening.