PDA

View Full Version : Porter cable 890 in a lift?

keith micinski
09-10-2010, 12:33 AM
Is anyone using the newer model in a lift? The collet lock to loosen and tighten the collets looks like it wont go high enough to do above table bit changes with Jessem FX router lift. I was going to go with a 1617 but I found a pretty good deal on the 890 right now. I don't want bit changes to turn into a hassle though.

Gary Muto
09-10-2010, 6:53 AM
If you have a Rockler near by, you can ask them. They sell a Rockler Aluminum FX lift that is made by Jessem. They currently have a sale on the PC 690. I think it was around $100. They also have the 890 on sale but I don't know the price. Right now the store seems to have lower prices than some of the same sale items online.

You can PM me if you like, I have a store 2 miles from home and can check compatibility or pricing for you.

Mike Henderson
09-10-2010, 9:59 AM
I'm using an 890 in a JessEm lift. I use two wrenches and don't have any problems (I don't use the collet lock).

I'll provide pictures of how I set it up if you want them.

Mike

keith micinski
09-10-2010, 10:41 PM
I just ended up buying it and it works. I just had to take the teeth off of the side of the motor for the fine adjustment on the fixed base. Why do you use a second wrench instead of the collet lock?

Mike Henderson
09-10-2010, 11:02 PM
I just ended up buying it and it works. I just had to take the teeth off of the side of the motor for the fine adjustment on the fixed base. Why do you use a second wrench instead of the collet lock?
Ah, yes. I forgot to mention that I had to take the adjustment rack off also. I wonder where I put that now:)

I tried using the collet lock at first but I noticed that I was bunging up the edge of the plate hole because I was using a screwdriver to push the collet lock in (levering it off the plate). So I just went to two wrenches.

Mike

keith micinski
09-10-2010, 11:12 PM
I raised my router inside of the lift just enough so that I could push the button in with my finger. I found that the router could go up into the lift more but then I couldn't go down far enough for the taller bits. I am sure I am going to have to monkey around with it but tomorrow morning is going to be my first attempt at making Dovetails with my Incra fence and router lift.