PDA

View Full Version : what gear oil for 20" 4 post planer

Bob Cooper
09-09-2010, 10:28 PM
I have a 5HP jet 20" planer that i recently swapped out heads. I lost some of the gear oil while doing the swap and would like to replace the existing oil or just top it off some.

What can i use that's readily available?

The manual calls for a few types but from what i can tell here in Columbia they are only available in 5 to 55 gallon quantities.

Stephen Ash
09-09-2010, 10:45 PM
I bought a quart of 80W-90 gear lubricant for my Grizzly 15" 4-post planer at an auto parts store. I'd imagine that would be available near you as well.

Regards,
Steve

Ken Fitzgerald
09-09-2010, 11:08 PM
The manual calls for 70-90 wt gear box oil. I have bought that locally by the gallon at auto supply houses.

I researched it online. Napa sells it at their local stores in 10 oz and 32 oz containers.

glenn bradley
09-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Auto Zone and Pep Boys have 90W gear oil by the quart around here. That is what I used in my 15" machine.

Clint Olver
09-10-2010, 12:05 AM
You need a quart of 80w-90 gear oil, and should be able to buy it at any auto parts supply store.

C

Bob Cooper
09-10-2010, 12:51 AM
maybe i took the manual too litterally. here's what it listed

HD-100, Mobil Gear 627, Shell
Omala 100, ESSO Spartan EP-100

Van Huskey
09-10-2010, 1:19 AM
maybe i took the manual too litterally. here's what it listed

HD-100, Mobil Gear 627, Shell
Omala 100, ESSO Spartan EP-100

Not saying you can't find them but I have never seen Gear
627 or Omala in less than 5 gallon buckets. Since the manual states 100 wt, I would try to find some, shouldn't be much of an issue.

James Baker SD
09-10-2010, 5:03 PM
assuming you have the gear oil, the gearbox drained from the bottom plug, how do you fill the gear box? The filling plug (on a 15" four post planer) is really inconveniently located. I looked for funnels with long flexible spouts in the auto store but could not find anything appropriate.

James

Dave Lehnert
09-10-2010, 5:14 PM
More of a question.

Would it matter much what weight gear oil was used in a planer gear box if the suggested weight could not be found?

Brian Runau
09-10-2010, 6:38 PM
EP100 calls out an "extreme pressure" gear oil. Oil to thin or not designed to take the design pressure between the gear teeth, will be completely pushed out from in between the teeth under load and the gears will run dry during operation and you will build up excessive heat and wear.

http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENINDESIogear_ep.pdf

Thanks

Brian

Dave Gryger
09-10-2010, 7:13 PM
I'd try calling around to companies that sell and service heavy equipment. They may be willing to sell you just a quart.

-Dave

Rye Crane
09-12-2010, 6:39 PM
Bob,

You can get this lubricant from: MSC-Direct; McMaster-Carr; or Grainger in several sizes. I just got some from McMaster-Carr in a gallon jug. I'm guessing that a life time supply, even if I spill half of it.

Rye Crane
Pittsburg, Ca.

Dan West02
09-12-2010, 7:43 PM
assuming you have the gear oil, the gearbox drained from the bottom plug, how do you fill the gear box? The filling plug (on a 15" four post planer) is really inconveniently located. I looked for funnels with long flexible spouts in the auto store but could not find anything appropriate.

James

For my Delta 33 four poster, I took a piece of 1/4" copper tubing and bent it as necessary and stuck a small funnel into it at the top. You have to fill it slowly, but if the fill port on your machine can use a larger diameter tubing, you will be able to fill it faster.

PS. when I finished filling, I took two short pieces of 1/4" diameter dowel, stuck them in a pencil sharpener to get a point, and then stuck them into the ends of the copper tubing. I then stuck the whole thing into a zip lock plastic bag until it is needed.

Van Huskey
09-13-2010, 2:39 AM
EP100 calls out an "extreme pressure" gear oil. Oil to thin or not designed to take the design pressure between the gear teeth, will be completely pushed out from in between the teeth under load and the gears will run dry during operation and you will build up excessive heat and wear.

http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENINDESIogear_ep.pdf

Thanks

Brian

Correct, you get pressure displacement of the film and then you are essentially running dry.