PDA

View Full Version : A little catch up, a wood gloat, and a quiz!

John Keeton
09-09-2010, 9:12 PM
Thought I would post a little catch up on my recent shop time. Had a lot of 'stuff' going on, and haven't gotten in a lot of turning time. Did finish up the pot pourri bowls/pots - between the Monster hollowing rig and the new Holdfast vacuum chuck this project went pretty fast!
Then, while Ms. Keeton had a group of ladies out, I turned a cherry bowl from a piece of the dry cherry that I recently got. 11.25" x 3.25". Walls are 3/16". For all you guys that turn bowls, I want you to know how much respect I have for you!!! Honestly, turning a HF, with a stem and pedestal is easier!
Then, today, a box showed up and inside was this neat piece of sycamore from Mike Cruz!! I have this sitting on my workbench and starting to get some ideas on what I could do with it. Thanks, Mike!!!
And, lastly, for the quiz - this is one part of a multi-part turning that is my current work in progress. Anyone want to take a guess as to what it represents? BTW, I turned this on just the 3" vacuum chuck pulling 22Hg!! It was 11" wide, and I honestly didn't think it would hold. Never budged!

Bernie Weishapl
09-09-2010, 9:30 PM
John those are some really nice pots. Looks like the monster worked well. I am not going to venture a guess on your last piece. Maybe a vacuum chuck lid???:D:rolleyes:;)

Fred Perreault
09-09-2010, 9:32 PM
Then, while Ms. Keeton had a group of ladies out, I turned a cherry bowl from a piece of the dry cherry that I recently got. 11.25" x 3.25". Walls are 3/16". For all you guys that turn bowls, I want you to know how much respect I have for you!!! Honestly, turning a HF, with a stem and pedestal is easier!

John, It was kind of you to think of us mere mortals in your post, but patronizing those of us that couldn't even begin to create the kind of "stuff' you and your ilk complete is , well, well, ....I dunno. You are definitely a major leaguer, and when I grow up I hope to be able to finish at least one of those flying saucers on a stick :)
Good luck with the sycamore.... we have lots of that in my area, and I just opened some up that was incredibly curly. Ho, hum.... another platter or bowl.

David DeCristoforo
09-09-2010, 9:39 PM
"...take a guess as to what it represents? ..."

I'm seeing ripples here....

John Keeton
09-09-2010, 9:52 PM
"...take a guess as to what it represents? ..."

I'm seeing ripples here....You may be on to something!;)

patrick michael stein
09-09-2010, 9:53 PM
hi john,

i say a cymbal as in drums lol:)

alex carey
09-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Looks ALMOST like someone threw a rock into a small pond and now its rippling out.

Steve Schlumpf
09-09-2010, 10:19 PM
John - your potpourri bowls sure turned out nice!

Very nice Cherry bowl! I really like the classic form!

Can't help but notice that the detail work on the bottom of the Cherry bowl looks somewhat similar to the piece on the lathe. That's all I'm saying.... it looks similar.

Tom Sherman
09-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Got a feeling there is going to be a stick going into the hole in the middle. Will it be a holder upper or a sticker upper?

Jon Lanier
09-10-2010, 12:09 AM
Quiz..... Woofer? Sub-Woofer?

David E Keller
09-10-2010, 12:45 AM
Nice looking bowl, John. That's what a good salad bowl is supposed to look like I think.

As for the quiz, I'm envisioning an artistic piece that involves some type of suspended form with the rippled piece shown as a base of sorts. I'm certainly looking forward to seeing more.

Michael James
09-10-2010, 12:52 AM
nice potpourris.. I keep seeing these glass ones at work with a tenon looking neck and base.....this is a much better design. thanks!

And "what does it represent?"..I could get into the infinity of the circle, the alpha / omega of the cycles of life, or just say... "Heck.I have no idea". :confused: Nicely done, whatever it is!

Leo Van Der Loo
09-10-2010, 1:34 AM
Nice looking potpourri bowls John, something I don't like making much, but I think these will be treasured :cool:.

I like the Cherry bowl, good shape and good color now (will get even better later) though 3/16" is a little thin for a bowl that size I'd think, the foot/base looks good as well.

Now for that Sycamore, It looks pretty rotten from down here ;-))) :p.

Big(ger) disk, would be a good base for a spinning spray finish top :D, good size for a skeet object also :eek:

Jon McElwain
09-10-2010, 1:40 AM
My first guess on the quiz was the cymbal and drum set like Patrick said, but upon closer inspection, I'm guessing you are making ripples in water from a drop of water or small object dropped into a round pool of still water.

Oh, and one problem I see in the photos with the shop in the background is the distinct lack of sawdust! I mean, you probably need to post some shop photos with a little dust and dirt around to make us believe it's all real!!:D

John Keeton
09-10-2010, 6:46 AM
Thanks for the nice words on the pot pourri bowls and the cherry bowl. Leo, I don't like doing the pot pourri bowls either!! But, I was committed to doing them as Christmas presents. I really had no idea how heavy the cherry bowl might be, and so I took the walls down a little. Surprised me as to how light weight it really was!

The sycamore is rotten in the top area (pith area) but is rock solid on the bottom. It is about 3.5" wide, and I am thinking about doing a very petite hollow form with a figured wood inset collar.

Some really good comments on the quiz!! I have highlighted some key words - I believe many of you are onto the general theme of the construction. The interpretive side of this piece would be very difficult to guess without seeing the whole thing. Hope to make some good progress on it over the next few days.
...a small pond and now its rippling out.The 'rippling out' has much to do with the theme.

...a stick going into the hole in the middle...Of sorts - much more involved than that.

...artistic piece that involves some type of suspended form with the rippled piece shown as a base of sorts.'Suspended' is a key word here, and this is the base, or a portion of the base. Still undecided on whether there will be more to the base.

...the cycles of life...This is a key element of the theme, but much more to it.

...object dropped into a round pool of still water.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=160860&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1284097160 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=160860&d=1284097160)
Sort of, but not an object per se - 'still' or calm is an element, too.

Jim Silva
09-10-2010, 7:10 AM
Birdbath?
Shallow sink?
Art piece symbolizing the origins of life on earth and it's reciprocal relationship with water as concatenator, parent and lover?
Cool round gizmo with a wavy bit near the hole in the bottom?
E: All of the above?

John Keeton
09-10-2010, 7:54 AM
Art piece symbolizing the origins of life on earth and it's reciprocal relationship with water as concatenator, parent and lover?Jim, I thought my theme was getting 'deep' until I read this!!!;):D I love the thought you put into this, though....hmmmm.....future turning.....hmmmmm??

Dale Miner
09-10-2010, 8:04 AM
Looks like curly ash to me.

Dale M

Baxter Smith
09-10-2010, 8:33 AM
Nice work on all John. I am looking forward to seeing whatever it is. The depth of my imagination is pretty shallow so won't even venture a guess.

Jon Lanier
09-10-2010, 8:42 AM
Quiz - Okay if it has something maybe to do with water and ripples. Maybe this will work. I use this phrase often when I begin a funeral message:

"Lives are like a pebble tossed into a pond, leaving ever widening rings and ripples of influence. Long after a stone disappears, the ripples continue. Just so, after a person passes from our sight, the impact of his knowledge, values, sacrifices and faith, live on in the membership of the family of love." - Jon Lanier

Andy Hoyt
09-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Looks like the saucer section of the star ship Enterprise

John Keeton
09-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Looks like the saucer section of the star ship EnterpriseBy golly, you are right!! I may have to revise my plan on this piece!:D

Quiz - Okay if it has something maybe to do with water and ripples. Maybe this will work. I use this phrase often when I begin a funeral message:

"Lives are like a pebble tossed into a pond, leaving ever widening rings and ripples of influence. Long after a stone disappears, the ripples continue. Just so, after a person passes from our sight, the impact of his knowledge, values, sacrifices and faith, live on in the membership of the family of love." - Jon Lanier
Jon, what a wonderful and meaningful expression!! I could probably stop where I am, and go with that! But, I think I will carry this one out to its conclusion.....which no one has guessed yet!;)

Joe Shinall
09-10-2010, 3:00 PM
Poo. Falling in a potty. What? It's the circle of life people! You eat and then you poo. It's a stick and it gets suspended. Did I win?

David E Keller
09-10-2010, 3:48 PM
Poo. Falling in a potty. What? It's the circle of life people! You eat and then you poo. It's a stick and it gets suspended. Did I win?
LOL

You could use zebrawood for a portion of the project... It smells like poo already!

John Keeton
09-10-2010, 4:09 PM
It's the circle of life people! You eat and then you poo.Joe, I thought it was 'dust to dust' !!:D:D

In any event, if things don't go well with this piece, you have offered a great fall back plan! New title - Pile o' Poo!

Roger Chandler
09-10-2010, 4:46 PM
Joe, I thought it was 'dust to dust' !!:D:D

In any event, if things don't go well with this piece, you have offered a great fall back plan! New title - Pile o' Poo!

I think we need a shovel already! :eek::D;)

David DeCristoforo
09-10-2010, 5:10 PM
It would seem that the humor in this thread has taken a nose dive to somewhere around second grade level…

William Hutchinson
09-10-2010, 6:01 PM
Perhaps something along the theme of an Alan Carter suspended vessel ...

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y66/wlhutch/suspended-piece-w-cinders-W.jpg

John Keeton
09-10-2010, 8:18 PM
It would seem that the humor in this thread has taken a nose dive to somewhere around second grade level…It's Friday, David - our brains are mush by this point!:D

William, I am familiar with Alan's work, and have often thought about doing something along those lines. He has some very interesting pieces! I believe the one you posted was on WoW recently .

Michael James
09-10-2010, 8:40 PM
It would seem that the humor in this thread has taken a nose dive to somewhere around second grade level…
Just wait til beer-thirty!:eek:

Joe Shinall
09-10-2010, 8:55 PM
Just wait til beer-thirty!:eek:

Just wait til beer thirty and John tries to finish some of it with a few in him. It may be a toilet seat by morning. :D