PDA

View Full Version : I did it !

Lee Koepke
09-09-2010, 8:40 PM
Yup, I am blaming ya'll for this :D

Picked up my mini-lathe this evening, he gave me a quick intro to the machine, showed me his many, many, many gouges, scrapers, and things I havent figured out yet!

He threw in a 'starter' set of pen turning tools, pen mandrel, a roughing gouge, extra tool rest .... all unexpected bonus. It wouldnt have been fair to have this machine staring me in the face with nothing to cut with.

On the rack is my first 'turning'. Its basically a stick!!!! haha ..

Thanks everyone. I am really looking forward to this!

David E Keller
09-09-2010, 8:44 PM
I've got that same lathe, and it's a good one. Congrats on the bonker. You might as well mount it to the top of your table saw 'cause you're not gonna use it anymore!:D

John Keeton
09-09-2010, 8:48 PM
Lee, that first piece is like that first step into quicksand - no turning back!!!:eek:

Great lathe, and looks to be in excellent shape. Congrats!!!

charlie knighton
09-09-2010, 8:48 PM
enjoy, nice gloat

Karl Card
09-09-2010, 8:49 PM
I've got that same lathe, and it's a good one. Congrats on the bonker. You might as well mount it to the top of your table saw 'cause you're not gonna use it anymore!:D

I too have that same lathe...

Good luck and let the turning begin....

Robert McGowen
09-09-2010, 8:57 PM
clear enough?

Cathy Schaewe
09-09-2010, 8:58 PM
Ha! The bait was put out, he took the hook, he's been reeled in, and now he's in the boat!:D

Lee Koepke
09-09-2010, 9:00 PM
clear enough?
ha ... looking around, all I kept thinking .. ooh, I'm gonna need one of those ... that would be nice to have ... hmmm should I get one of these ...

it'll be hard to turn while having to work 3 jobs !!!

Cathy Schaewe
09-09-2010, 9:01 PM
ha ... looking around, all I kept thinking .. ooh, I'm gonna need one of those ... that would be nice to have ... hmmm should I get one of these ...

ah, but who needs sleep? !!!

Bernie Weishapl
09-09-2010, 9:06 PM
Congrats on a nice lathe. I have one of those and love it. Take a picture of your wallet as is because it won't have any green in it from this day forward. Oh and who needs sleep?????:eek::rolleyes::cool: You can turn between jobs.:D;)

David Christopher
09-09-2010, 10:09 PM
congrats, that looks like a very nice lathe,. you will now need 4 jobs to help with the addiction..LOL:D

Mark Hix
09-09-2010, 10:17 PM
good lathe to start with, might as well start looking for your second one (or third).

excellent bonker! I think we all have a couple.

Tom Sherman
09-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Congratulations Lee, I had one of those for a while before I got the 1442. I had to let it go though needed the space, besides I still have two others. This is fun stuff and you are going to love it. Nice work on the bonker.

Curt Fuller
09-09-2010, 10:30 PM

You mean "It'll be hard to work 3 jobs while turning".

Welcome to the quagmire!

Alan Zenreich
09-09-2010, 10:38 PM
Ooooh, your first steeeeek.

Next thing we know, there will be a hollowform on top of it.

Welcome to the world of woodturning. You have no where to go but up... enjoy the ride.

Steve Schlumpf
09-09-2010, 10:39 PM
Lee - Welcome to this side of the Creek!

Congrats on your new lathe! Great looking bonker! Looking forward to watching your progress in turning! Have fun - be safe and ask lots of questions!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Congrats Lee on your first lathe....a good bargain and first bonker!

Michael James
09-09-2010, 10:46 PM
yeah, sure.... blame us. It's not like you weren't warned! I was content spinning a few pens on the weekends and then I found this place. I registered just to look at what "they" were doing...... My name is Michael and Im an addict. My Woodcraft franchise owner tells me there is no 12 step program for turning...... and Im not looking.

Welcome aboard amigo, and practice safety. I see a nice saw there. Respect the lathe the way you respect that table saw and you'll survive the random "oooooooooooooops" occasions. Get a face shield for anything bigger than a pen blank while your roughing... I promise you will be grateful for that habit one day.

gary Zimmel
09-09-2010, 11:19 PM
Hang on Lee. It is going to be a wild ride...
Congrats on getting your lathe set up and running.
This is only the start, trust me.

Brian Myers
09-09-2010, 11:34 PM
And downward he slides into the swirling oblivion.;)

Karl Card
09-09-2010, 11:44 PM
turning = the reason why we have income tax return checks....lol

Jon McElwain
09-10-2010, 2:36 AM
I thought I heard that tell-tale whooshing wind sound when I logged on...

Congrats on the new lathe!

Jon Lanier
09-10-2010, 3:29 AM
WOW! It's been so long since I've seen that lathe (like mine) that clean. I've got goop and gunk and dust and dye and STUFF all over the thing. Except the on the WAYS... they are nice and smooth. But the paint job is history.

Congratulations.

William Hutchinson
09-10-2010, 5:04 AM
Congratulations and welcome to Hotel California.:D I noticed your shop is very clean and tidy. You will soon discover with amazement how the smallest stick of wood can produce a mountain of shavings that will engulf that pristine shop of yours. You will also discover all the cool stuff you can make very quickly. I'm looking forward to seeing your work. Good luck and work safe.

Baxter Smith
09-10-2010, 8:59 AM
I noticed your shop is very clean and tidy. You will soon discover with amazement how the smallest stick of wood can produce a mountain of shavings that will engulf that pristine shop of yours.

That is the truth!

Congrats on the new lathe!

Danny Hamsley
09-10-2010, 9:47 AM
Way to go, Lee!

Paul Douglass
09-10-2010, 9:54 AM
And now the fun begins. Don't let every one scare you on the costs. I'm retired and started turning. So far I've only had to start working part time to help pay for it!

bob svoboda
09-10-2010, 10:12 AM
And another on bites the (saw) dust...bwaahaahaa...Congratulations and welcome to the vortex.

Joe Shinall
09-10-2010, 9:20 PM
Good buy Lee. And Good bye wallet!

I'd be interested in seeing a thread on how many people got sucked into this vortex this year by all you nice (damned) experienced turners.

Have fun with your steeek.

Allen Neighbors
09-10-2010, 9:28 PM
Bwaahaahaa... bwaahaahaahaahaahaahaaaaa...