PDA

View Full Version : Shotgun Forend Repair Advice

Joe Mioux
09-09-2010, 8:19 PM
Years ago, while Quail hunting, I tripped over some barbed wire and scratched my gun.

This is a Beretta A390st semi auto shotgun with a high gloss finish.

I am thinking about selling this gun and a couple others to buy a new Beretta 686 White Onyx. However, before selling this gun, I want to make the repair.

How should I go about doing this? As you can see some of the wood is damaged, but for the most part it isn't too bad.

thanks joe

p.s. sidebar gloat. the images were taken with my new Nikon D90 and 60 mm macro lens.

Henry Ambrose
09-10-2010, 1:23 AM
First, steam out as much of the dents as you can. Do this by laying a wet rag over the dented area and applying heat to create steam that will puff up the wood fibers and raise the dent. Fold the rag over a couple of times. Use an old spoon heated in your propane torch to almost red. Touch that to the rag and iron out the dent. You won't get it all but you'll get some of it.

Next use a chisel, scraper and maybe some tiny sanding blocks to flatten the area. Stay off the checkering as best you can. If you do bugger it up a bit use a tiny gouge to re-cut gently.

Use a finish that you think will match what is there now.

Doug Carpenter
09-10-2010, 7:22 AM
Joe,

I do custom stocks and stock work for a living.

If I were to fix that. I would strip it first.

The rag and iron trick works great, better if you strip it.

One of the dings looks to me like it has missing wood so it isn't going to steam out.

That one may require some gentle sanding or filling.

I use Citrustrip to remove the finish. It may take a couple of coats but I have come across a finish I couldn't rmove yet.

Use a toothbrush and gently scrub the checkering. do not use one of those stipper brushes it will destroy the checkering.

Once it is clean you rinse it off and let it dry for a day.

Then you can steam out the dents. I used to work on pool cues and we used a wet paper towel and a soldering iron to steam out dents. It works good fo really focusing on a particular dent. One the towel gets a little dry you wet it again. don't let the iron burn the wood.

One you have raised the dents you need to gently sand the whole thing being carful not to touch the checkering. I often tape it off to protect it.

if you decide this project is not for you. You can PM me and I'll quote you a price. Or if you need more details on the repair I'll talk you though it.

Good luck

Conrad Fiore
09-10-2010, 8:49 AM
Joe,
You are going to open up a can of worms that might be better left alone. Doug is correct in that a strip and rework is the only thing that will make it really right. However, you will then have the problem of the new finish matching the butt stock, both in color and sheen.
If you want to try to minimize the defect, try to steam out the dents, maybe use an artist brush to put a little finish in the scraped areas. Hit it with some paste wax and give the buyer $25.00 bucks off the price. It is however a huntin' gun and those things will happen if you take a gun in the woods.

Jeff Monson
09-10-2010, 12:31 PM
Joe, you could send it up to me in say Mid-october.....(a couple days before pheasant opener)....I think before a repair is made the gun should be thoroughly tested. ;)

Joe Mioux
09-10-2010, 2:55 PM
thanks for the replies....

I don't want to mess this up that is why I thought I would ask the question here.

Jeff, its a good field gun and would do well with pheasant. Years ago, I switched over to an O/U Bakhail for quail so the Beretta had been waiting for my boys, but I want to upgrade my o/u so a few guns have to go. :(