PDA

View Full Version : New Shop Update

greg a bender
09-09-2010, 8:04 PM
For any one interested, this is an up-date to my first ‘tool gloat’. (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=147340&highlight=greg+bender) and a quick review of the Grizzly G0513P 17” Band Saw. This tool is a replacement for my 25 yr old 14’ ‘Pit Bull’ Delta clone.

The band saw arrived via UPS Freight, undamaged and in one piece. I did pay extra for lift gate service ($35.00) and the UPS guy was nice enough to back his 20’ trailer into my stone driveway and lift gate the unit into my garage. FYI, this thing will not fit into a standard garage door opening with out tilting and dragging. And at close to 400 lbs, this is not to be taken ‘lightly’ 160816

I used my Reciprocating saw to free it from it’s crate. I then enlisted the aid of my ever willing 110 lb wife to help me move it off the shipping pallet and drag it to its intended home. (Yes, we both still have an interesting set of bruises from this operation)

Once placed, set-up was a breeze. Just install the table, set the guides, assemble the fence and wire the connector (220V).

On my saw, the table was / is dead flat the wheels are balanced and co-plainer and the fit and finish is excellent.

First impressions, WOW, very nice, smooth, quiet and lots of power. This even with the supplied blade. Makes just enough noise to let me know it’s running just a light whisper. (That’s a good thing!). I have a ¾ Woodslicer blade ready to go along with an ¼ in blade from Highland.

Perhaps overkill for a non-production shop, but, as part of a dream shop, priceless!

Greg A Bender

PS – The New Delta Uni is STILL sitting on its pallet waiting for it’s mobile base. (Grrrrrrr-:mad: I hate ‘Tool Orbit.com’). Next to arrive is the 2HP ShopFox Shaper and HF DC and moving the rest of my tools out from the damp basement - Oh Joy:eek:.

Oh yeah, the walls still need finished, and then there is the floor, and then......

Callan Campbell
09-09-2010, 10:24 PM
It's great when a plan comes together, or in the case of your missing mobile base, almost:p Anyway, sounds like a nice shop is on its way.

Paul McGaha
09-10-2010, 8:20 AM
Congratulations Greg.

I think you are going to have a fine shop.

Also You suck.

PHM

Jacob Mac
09-10-2010, 9:27 AM
Nice work. Your shop is really coming along. I am interested to see what you think of the Polar line of Grizzly tools. My guess is that they are just a way of re-badging their standard line in an attempt to boost sales. If that is the case, then you just got a great saw at a great price.