PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Stair tread

Joe Von Kaenel
09-09-2010, 5:59 PM
Hello,

We removed the carpet from our stairs and most of the treads are 1 inch pine treads which I want to treat with floor varnish. (All of our trim is pine)
These are home stairs but get a lot of use.

There are 3 wedge shaped stairs made of OSB that I want to replace. My question is:

Can I plane down construction grade pine, use biscuits and glue to make new treads and cut them out to match the current treads? Can I use good quality cabinet grade veneer plywood and replace the stairs with that?

I have included a pic of the stairs to give you an idea

Thanks for the help.

Joe

Neal Clayton
09-09-2010, 6:35 PM
construction grade pine isn't really gonna work well as a bare stair tread, it's too soft.

i would check your local lumberyard for yellow pine in a larger width.

Joe Von Kaenel
09-09-2010, 9:20 PM
I found 2 X 12 prime yellow pine. I thought about using Oak but the grain would stick out like a sore thumb. Is there a hardwood I can use that has grain pattern is similar to pine? Thanks

Joe

Tom Hammond
09-10-2010, 1:07 AM
Straight-grain maple would work well. Could you post another pic? The first one is blurred.

Justin M Rovang
09-10-2010, 1:16 AM
Ya the blur is pretty tough to decipher. To me ash is pretty close.

Tom McMahon
09-10-2010, 9:56 AM
If all the other treads are pine and you want the new ones to match, make them out of pine. You can get 5/4 pine from a good lumber yard which should work fine. Many stairways in old homes were made from pine or fir.