PDA

View Full Version : So you want a cheap, strong lumber rack

Bill LaPointe
09-09-2010, 4:46 PM
There have been a couple of recent posts on lumber storage so I decided to share a solution that worked for me. The goal was to be strong, easy to install and cheap. Did I mention that I am stingy? I buy a lot of used fixtures for my own retail stores, mostly from local department stores. All of them have excess store fixtures that they are willing to sell for next to nothing and in many cases will give them away to get rid of them. There is a Belk’s store across the parking lot from one of my stores so I asked the nice fixture lady if she had some clothing displays that she wanted to get rid of. I bought five 4 post displays for $5 apiece and loaded them on my little truck.

Pics in sequence.

Bill LaPointe
09-09-2010, 4:48 PM
So you want a cheap, strong lumber rack continued pics

Phil Thien
09-09-2010, 7:44 PM
Nothing is quite as expensive as new retail fixtures. Nothing is quite as inexpensive as used retail fixtures.

Great idea and nice execution!

Kenneth Moar
09-09-2010, 7:48 PM
Is that a gutter and downspout just below the roof, or a new fangled dust
collector system?:confused:

Lewis Ehrhardt
09-09-2010, 9:12 PM
Thanks for the tip, great idea!

Bill LaPointe
09-10-2010, 3:07 AM
Yes, it's a gutter and down spout. That area is under a deck. Put FG panels on underside of deck joists. Water goes into gutter on inside wall. No leaks from inside at all. Dust collector and storage live there.

Dave Houseal
09-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Nice idea! I have a couple home made solutions in my shop. They were pretty cheap too, but they all took longer than that to put together.