PDA

View Full Version : Good diamond hone recommendation.

Ron Bontz
09-09-2010, 4:44 PM
For those who keep a hone for the turning tools, which one would you recommend. Thanks.:)

bob svoboda
09-09-2010, 5:22 PM
I just got this one from Craft Supplies USA and really like it. I use it mainly for my skews. 230-6602 Big Diamond Honing Stone It's supposedly the same one Alan Lacer uses in his video.

Jim McFarland
09-09-2010, 6:01 PM
I just got this one from Craft Supplies USA and really like it. I use it mainly for my skews. 230-6602 Big Diamond Honing Stone <snip>

Same stone, same use and I'm happy with it, too.

Ken Vonk
09-09-2010, 6:04 PM
I got the diamond stone from Alan Lacer at a demonstration. It works great. I've had it for about a year and it doesn't show any signs of wear.

Ken

Ken Fitzgerald
09-09-2010, 7:00 PM
I have the one 230-6602 from Craft Supplies. I have had it for several years and it works well.

Michael James
09-09-2010, 8:08 PM
I mostly use the $10 triangle shaped sharpening block from HF. 1 of 3 sides is diamond. Ignorance is bliss in this dept and Im getting consistently better at keeping a sharp edge on the tools. Also have one of the credit card size with 2 grits from craft or PSI or ????
For me, the most imortant part is consistently addressing the tool correctly. Obviously, this improves with practice. Good luck.

Greg Just
09-09-2010, 8:21 PM
Like Ken, I have the Lacer hone and use it all the time.

Salem Ganzhorn
09-09-2010, 9:13 PM
I have been using an old hard Arkansas oil stone on my skew. If you have one lying around give it a shot!
Salem

Bernie Weishapl
09-09-2010, 9:22 PM
I use the one from CSUSA that Lacer uses.

Alan Zenreich
09-09-2010, 10:49 PM
Just for clarification: the one from CSUSA is NOT the one Alan Lacer uses and sells.

From Alan Lacer's web site... the hone he sells is $88 (I bought one at the AAW symposium)

Note:

This is not the honing stone that appears in some catalogues and uses Alan's name--those are flat hones with diamond only on one side.
This style of hone with two different radii and two large flat areas--all covered with natural diamond--is only available from Alan.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-09-2010, 10:55 PM
While it may not be the one he currently SELLS,
according to the website it's the one he used when he made his first video.

Alan Zenreich
09-09-2010, 11:12 PM
yes, I understand that. However many people have seen him in person and I thought it useful to point out that he no longer uses that type... and that the one he uses has radiused edges to be used as a slipstone.

So buyers have a choice... and an informed choice avoids the confusion (and explains the wide discrepency in price)

Ron Bontz
09-10-2010, 9:07 AM
Either way, thank you for the replies. It gives me a direction to go. I have been "collecting" a better grade of turning tools; ie: Thompson and Pro PM. So I really don't want to grind them away. Now if we could just get him to make a bedan.:D

steven carter
09-10-2010, 9:25 AM
I got a DMT one from Vince, the sandpaper guy, it is two sided fine and extra fine, works very well.

Steve

Mike Davis NC
09-10-2010, 9:44 AM
I use DMT machinist plates, these are the solid surface metal plates with no plastic spots. They cost a little more but stay flat and have a lot more diamonds on the surface.