PDA

View Full Version : Combination jointer & planer stand??

Jason White
09-09-2010, 4:02 PM
Since I can't afford one of the fancy new jointer/planer combination machines, I'm trying to figure out a way to build a mobile stand that will hold both my 6" RIDGID jointer and 13" Delta planer on the same stand. I'm thinking I could remove the jointer from the stock steel stand and mount it on top of a plywood cart and have the planer below the jointer on some type of slide-out drawer. Not sure where I could place the jointer's motor, though. If I mount the motor below the jointer, I might not have room for the planer.

Ideas, suggestions, pictures?

Jason

Matt Day
09-09-2010, 5:00 PM
Wow - that could be a heck of a flip-top stand!

I recently saw a picture of an old Craftsman (I think) flip-top type stand, but a triagular rotating piece with 3 "tops". The 3rd top maybe could hold your motor somehow? It might be tough though with the long beds of the jointer so it wouldn't conflict with the planer, so maybe not an equilateral triangle?

Just a thought...

Jason White
09-09-2010, 8:47 PM
I think the jointer might be a bit too heavy for a flip-top stand.

Wow - that could be a heck of a flip-top stand! I recently saw a picture of an old Craftsman (I think) flip-top type stand, but a triagular rotating piece with 3 "tops". The 3rd top maybe could hold your motor somehow? It might be tough though with the long beds of the jointer so it wouldn't conflict with the planer, so maybe not an equilateral triangle? Just a thought...

Nathan Callender
09-09-2010, 11:18 PM
You might be better off combining two other machines so you could have the jointer and planer functional at the same time. If you have a cms stand, maybe you could integrate the planer into that one. Or, you could put the planer under one of the wings of the table saw or workbench on a low flip top stand. One of the problems that I have to overcome is that the lunchbox planers are small enough to tuck into places underneath other items, but unless you can raise them up, they would be a pain to use at that level - lots of bending over to get something into and out of the planer.

Chip Lindley
09-10-2010, 2:30 AM
Since I can't afford one of the fancy new jointer/planer combination machines, I'm trying to figure out a way to build a mobile stand that will hold both my 6" RIDGID jointer and 13" Delta planer on the same stand. I'm thinking I could remove the jointer from the stock steel stand and mount it on top of a plywood cart and have the planer below the jointer on some type of slide-out drawer. Not sure where I could place the jointer's motor, though. If I mount the motor below the jointer, I might not have room for the planer.
Jason

I think the jointer might be a bit too heavy for a flip-top stand.

Perhaps you just answered your own question Jason. Consider mounting both machines side-by-side on a common mobile stand, like the old Delta 9" TS/4" joiner combo.

Steve Kohn
09-10-2010, 1:28 PM
Perhaps you just answered your own question Jason. Consider mounting both machines side-by-side on a common mobile stand, like the old Delta 9" TS/4" joiner combo.

A friend of mine did exactly that with a jet 6" jointer and a Dewalt 733 planer. Both machines were set up side by side at the same height.

Greg Muller
09-10-2010, 3:19 PM
When I had little shop, I did what you are thinking about.

I had a 2 level stand and put the DW735 planer on the bottom shelf since you don't need to access the top of it except for knife changing, which is rare enough. The jointer goes on top so you can use it properly. The added benefit of this setup is that you can actually use the jointer top for passing the wood back to the infeed side of the planer.

Worked great!

Then I upgraded jointers and got a larger space. :D