PDA

View Full Version : Chuck help

Mike Rushing
09-08-2010, 10:41 PM
Well I have got sucked into the Vortex and now want a chuck. I have a delta 46-460 and would like to know if I got a 4 jaw would I have to round the pen blanks to drill them? I would also like to be able to turn some bowels with it so drilling is not the only reason for getting it. If you would like to recommend a brand or other type of chuck I am open to suggestions.

James Combs
09-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Super Nova II. I will chuck a square or round pen blank as well as bowl blanks with ease and accuracy. Just picked up a second a couple weeks ago.

David Christopher
09-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Well I have got sucked into the Vortex and now want a chuck. I have a delta 46-460 and would like to know if I got a 4 jaw would I have to round the pen blanks to drill them? I would also like to be able to turn some bowels with it so drilling is not the only reason for getting it. If you would like to recommend a brand or other type of chuck I am open to suggestions.

the woodcraft chuck is a good chuck without spending a ton of money, but I dont know about turning bowels :eek:

Andrew Kertesz
09-09-2010, 6:02 AM
The PSI brand chucks; Barracuda name usually come with a case and 5 sets of jaws. Check em out at Amazon, usually less than $200 shipped. I had the Barracuda 2 and was happy with its performance. The Delta has the same spindle size as my Jet: 1 x 8.

Bill Blasic
09-09-2010, 6:08 AM
Mike,
Look at the G3-D made for Black and Decker by Teknatool specifically for the 46-460 Delta.
Bill

cliff smith
09-09-2010, 6:58 AM
i have the woodcraft woodriver chuck it is a good chuck at a good price , often on sale with a good line of acc. i have 2 super nova II s that i enjoy using and can be often found on sale as well both very good chucks.

Steve Schlumpf
09-09-2010, 7:29 AM
Mike - I have the Oneway Talon and have been using it for 6 years - great chuck. Hartville Tool just happens to have them on sale right now - http://www.hartvilletool.com/product/11552

I honestly believe that as long as you stick with one of the main brand chucks - you will be happy!

Good luck!

Robert McGowen
09-09-2010, 8:36 AM
To answer further on your question, you should always, in my opinion of course, drill the blanks before you round them off. Your hole will never be exactly center, so you drill them and then turn them round using the drill hole as your center point. This centers your hole in the blank for you. Also, the thinner the blank is when you drill it out, the more likely you are to blow out the side or end when drilling it. A chuck will turn the square blanks for drilling on the lathe with no problems.

Richard Madden
09-09-2010, 9:15 AM
the woodcraft chuck is a good chuck without spending a ton of money, but I dont know about turning bowels :eek:

OUCH:eek::eek:

Kyle Iwamoto
09-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Check e-bay, there is a guy that sells a Nova G3 for around 115 bucks shipped with insert. If you go with the Nova line, a nice plus is all the jaws fit other chucks, except for the Titan. The Oneway is probably the best chuck I've used, but pricey..... Another cheap option is the Nova Midi, which only comes in 1X8. It has the tommy bars though. A small pain to use.

Allen Neighbors
09-09-2010, 5:35 PM
Another vote for the Nova Brand. I have 2 Supernova2 chucks, and one Nova G3D, and a Nova Titan. All my jaws interchange between the chucks, except the Titan Powergrip Jaws. (You wouldn't want them on the smaller chucks, anyway.
Can't beat 'em, in my book.
I use the G3 on my little Vicmarc lathe, and love the fact that all the jaws will interchange.

Steve Hayes
09-09-2010, 9:20 PM
I have 2 of the G3's and they perform fantastic.

Bernie Weishapl
09-09-2010, 9:36 PM
I have 2 of these chucks ($99 each) from Grizzly for my smaller lathes. http://www.grizzly.com/products/H6265 I liked them so well I bought 2 of the H6267 chucks (99 each) for my big lathe. These are clones of the Vicmarc VM100. All the Vic jaws will fit the griz chuck.

Peter Fabricius
09-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Steve;
Thanks for the link to the Talon sale...
Do you know if the Talon and Stronghold jaws are interchangeable?
I am considering a Talon but want to be able to use my Stronghold jaws.
thanks
Peter F.

Ryan Baker
09-09-2010, 10:17 PM
No. Talon and Stronghold jaws are not interchangeable.

Oneway definitely makes good chucks, and a Talon would be a good choice.

Note that Woodcraft has the SuperNova2 on sale right now as well, so it's a good time to grab one if you want to go that route.

Mike Rushing
09-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Sorry about the spelling. I think I am going to go with the SuperNova2 should I get another set of jaws when I order? I know I will need an adaptor just do not know the one I need is it the 1-8 RH or the 1-8 R&L?