PDA

View Full Version : 12" joiner is in the house!

Sparky Paessler
12-14-2004, 8:43 PM
Made a quick trip to Knoxville this morning to pick up a joiner I bought. It is a 1920's Fay and Egan and is in great shape. with a little cleanup work, a guard and a single phase motor it will be up and running. I feel like you could land small planes on it it is so big!

Mark Singer
12-14-2004, 8:50 PM
WoW! That is someting to behold!!!! Beautiful!

Hank Walczak
12-14-2004, 8:51 PM
Nice.... You're right. Now that you mention it, it does have a small resemblance to an aircraft carrier. And I guess, it most likely doesn't weigh much less either!:D

Rob Russell
12-14-2004, 8:58 PM
If you have the room, there's something really sweet about old American iron.

Great gloat!

Before you go swapping the motor for single phase, consider a Variable Frequency Drive (VFD). A VFD will let you run a 3-phase motor on 240v single phase power, gives you variable speed and means you don't have to mess around with finding the exactly right motor. Just a thought.

Rob

Boyd Gathwright
12-14-2004, 9:00 PM
…. Congratulations on your purchase Sparky, I wonder how much it cost when it was new? I would be almost willing to bet it was far less than a “6”incher today. Looks like a “tuff old bird” and most likely will out last you and me put together. <O:p</O:p

…. Enjoy and have fun with it ;).

Boyd

Made a quick trip to Knoxville this morning to pick up a joiner I bought. It is a 1920's Fay and Egan and is in great shape. with a little cleanup work, a guard and a single phase motor it will be up and running. I feel like you could land small planes on it it is so big!

Jim Barrett
12-14-2004, 9:07 PM
Nice looking jointer, Fay & Eagan made great machines!

Jim

John Weber
12-14-2004, 9:25 PM
SWEET!

John

Thomas Prondzinski
12-14-2004, 10:09 PM
Sparky
That's a nice looking carrier,you'll love it and never give it up. I love my P.B. Yates 12" SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTHHHHHHH

Tom

Bruce Page
12-14-2004, 10:52 PM
They don't make 'em like they used to! Congrats Sparky!

John Miliunas
12-14-2004, 10:54 PM
Wow, Sparky! That's a serious looking piece of metal. :) And yes, it appears to be in dynamite shape, as well. Good luck in restoring it and getting it back up and operational. Don't look like it needs much! Great score. :cool:

Jim Becker
12-14-2004, 11:17 PM
Yum!!! Not only is it 12" wide, but that appears to be "extra long", too. Wonderful!! What color are you going to paint it???? :D

Sparky Paessler
12-14-2004, 11:41 PM
Not Red if that is what you were wondering Jim! It is 7'2" long.

Cliff Newton
12-14-2004, 11:46 PM
Don't let the airport know about it. They might hit you up for some free landing space.:D

Jim Ketron
12-14-2004, 11:55 PM
Im going to have to come see that Mamoth of a jointer!

Great score Sparky !!!
nothing like old iron
Jim

Steve Stube
12-15-2004, 2:04 AM
Sparky, reminds me a little of my Crescent 8" with the 4 pt. wedge adjust per table. Mine also had "Vee" ways on the table carriages which would clamp tight using the 6" diameter hand wheels on the 2 studs shown below the table on each side (hand wheels missing from photo). Pre WWI it was coded a "pig" for purposes of rail shipment to disguise its identity. It had a square head (I see you have the safer round head) with two sides "T" slotted for the use of molding cutters. IIRC it was called a Shaper Sizer machine as opposed to a jointer - I did find some original documentation for it which had this information in it.

I affectionately remember it as one example of good old American iron that cost me money. I stripped it to the bear castings and repainted, rescrapped the bearings, bought 4 new blades from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:p</st1:City> ($485.00) and sold it for $375.00 to the only guy that showed an interest after advertising for months in the local newspaper. I just didn't have room for it inside and I knew that outside storage was not good for keeping it in like new condition for very long, so I figured it better to take a loss than deal with rust down the road.

Cliff, I think you are about to get a wing clipped. What software did you use for this? Cool!<O:p</O:p

Alan Turner
12-15-2004, 5:33 AM
Sparky,
I have a 12" American Woodworking Mach. 12"er, 87" beds, and similar weight. American merged with Yates in 1925, so mine is older than that, although I can't well date it beyond that. No orig paper of course.
Mine is the 3 legged flavor. Great tool. It looks like you have babbits instead of bearings. Someone had converted mine to bearings in pillowblocks before my purchase which works just fine. Dead on. On yours, as on mine, a new cutterhead journal was included, which had a double pulley. Mine came with a single phase motor. I think all of these originally had a direct motor drive 3 phase motor. Earlier this year I had Byrd make a shelix for mine, and it is great. Not cheap, but boy did I hate changing out knives. And the absencew of tearout is wonderful.
If you end up having to convert to bearings, you might want to do that in conjunction with Byrd. I shippped them my head, with pillowblocks still attached, and the new head came back jsut that way, with fresh bearings. 4 bolts and I was done.
Enjoy your new toy.
Alan

Gary Max
12-15-2004, 7:32 AM
That is a real machine---I am also a big fan of old American Iron.
I have a #1 American Table saw.
I like the way you made the dolly set up for moving the machine around.
Thanks for sharing the pics.