PDA

View Full Version : Another bowl on a stick???

David DeCristoforo
09-08-2010, 8:40 PM
I'm not calling them "steeks" anymore. Decided it had racist overtones and besides "stick" just sounds more dignified than "steek". (no offense intended). This one's even got a name. I'm calling it "Blue Moon Flower". Pretty uppity I know but I just can't help myself. Anyway, it's another burl maple bowl with an "ebonized" rosewood "stick". 5" X 9". Oddly enough, no real mishaps on this one. I did come up with an idea for chucking the "stick" to finish the bottom. Needs some refinement but I'll post some pics of that later.

David Christopher
09-08-2010, 8:47 PM
David, I like this one the best....shape, size and color is perfect

John Keeton
09-08-2010, 9:26 PM
David, you have developed a signature stick! I notice you have added a 'neck' to the flower/bowl - not sure about that yet. Otherwise, well executed - again!

Scott Hackler
09-08-2010, 9:41 PM
David,
When I first looked at this piece, I wasn't sure about the bottom of the bowl transition. But having stared at it for a few minutes and also zooming in on the union point, I really like it and think it suits the "bowl" shape quite well. Great job.

Richard Madden
09-08-2010, 9:45 PM
I like it. Well done. Gonna have to give one of those a try.

Tom Sherman
09-08-2010, 9:48 PM
Very nice David. I believe you have graduated and are now reaching for new limits. Very well done.

Bernie Weishapl
09-08-2010, 9:50 PM
David all I can say is simply beautiful.

David DeCristoforo
09-08-2010, 10:12 PM
"...I notice you have added a 'neck' to the flower/bowl - not sure about that yet..."

Neither was I. But you gotta try stuff. Now that it's "there", I like it. It is not exactly what I was going for so I will have to keep at it. But that's half the fun.

David E Keller
09-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Nicely done. The pedestal is very clean and attractive... I especially like the bell shaped base of the stick. I don't know that I'm sold on the shape of the upper form, but I really appreciate the willingness to try new things. It's nice to see something that's not just vanilla or chocolate... This one's more chunky monkey or rocky road.

David DeCristoforo
09-08-2010, 10:22 PM
"This one's more chunky monkey..."

Better make that funky chunky monkey...

Michael James
09-08-2010, 10:41 PM
It's a nice piece and your from california.we understand!:cool:

David DeCristoforo
09-08-2010, 10:42 PM
"...your from california..."

Actually, I'm from Nevada. I just live in California...

James Combs
09-08-2010, 10:43 PM
I like the entire piece, pedestal shape and bowl shape.

David DeCristoforo
09-08-2010, 10:45 PM
"I like the...pedestal shape..."

Uhh... er... what's a "pedestal"?

James Roberts
09-08-2010, 11:01 PM
PSSST! David, he means "stick".

Very nice piece, I really like the blue dyed effect on the maple burl. Oh yeah, the "stick" is well executed and the shape complements the bowl quite well. Another winner here.

Mike Spanbauer
09-08-2010, 11:01 PM
David - nice looking form there sir!

Cheers,
mike

Ken Fitzgerald
09-08-2010, 11:21 PM
David,

I think you have been holding out on us and turning for some time.:rolleyes:

Very nice.....very artistic.

Now we have John K. and David D.

gary Zimmel
09-08-2010, 11:43 PM
Another great "bowl on a stick". Very well done again David...

Michael James
09-09-2010, 12:16 AM
"...your from california..."

Actually, I'm from Nevada. I just live in California...

David no one's holding that against you either.:rolleyes: there's some sort of vibrationl harmonic anomoly between las vegas and hollywood.... sources in sedona say it's widening.

Van Huskey
09-09-2010, 5:18 AM
Gorgeous "pimp cup"! :D

William Hutchinson
09-09-2010, 6:30 AM
Nice turning and your willingness to share your creative experiments is commendable. We're watching the artistic transformation of Double D; giving your previous pieces comical names, steek to stick, now an uppity "Blue Moon Flower". It won't be long before the pony tail, beret and W&C art gallery showings. The new Dave is cool.:cool:

Steve Schlumpf
09-09-2010, 8:45 AM
Very nice! Really like the double ogee shape at the bottom of the pedestal. The natural edge sure gives the piece a wild look - and with the blue interior - the effect is great!

Only suggestion I can offer is to make sure that you display this work somewhere that is not subject to large changes in humidity or temps. I have found out - the hard way - that the thin pedestal can warp a little because it is supporting the weight of the cup.

Nice work! Looking forward to seeing your next one!

Allen Neighbors
09-09-2010, 9:26 AM
David, you're getting too good for the rest of us... 'cept JK, of course...
Well done. I like the whole thing!!

bob svoboda
09-09-2010, 9:29 AM
Now THATS a winner in my book.

brian watts
09-09-2010, 11:13 AM
very very nice....thanks for sharing

David DeCristoforo
09-09-2010, 11:26 AM
"... the thin pedestal can warp a little because it is supporting the weight of the cup..."

I had thought about that. When I started making these "flower" things, I was going for as thin as possible on the pedestal simply for the technical challenge. But then I let that go and started thinking more about overall proportions and making the pedestal appear to have sufficient mass to actually support the "bowl". It's tricky getting it "just right". But the "bowl" is not exactly heavy either!

Curt Fuller
09-09-2010, 8:24 PM
So are you calling it a Blue Moonflower or a Bluemoon Flower? And seeing as how you've gotten all politically correct on the stick thing, wouldn't if really be called a stem?;)
However you look at it, it's very pretty. The only two things that I can't understand are why you would want to dye something as beautiful as maple burl and why you would want to ebonize something a beautiful as rosewood. :confused:

David DeCristoforo
09-09-2010, 8:32 PM
"So are you calling it a Blue Moonflower or a Bluemoon Flower?"

Blue Moon Flower. I think I wanted to name it that because every once in a blue moon, I manage to make something without screwing up part of it.

"...there's some sort of vibrationl harmonic anomoly between las vegas and hollywood..."

People from Nevada understand that Las Vegas is not part of "the real" Nevada (nor is Reno). It's a world unto itself. As to Hollywood... well, let me just say "lets not go there"...